Westland Whirlwind

Started by The Rat, September 26, 2005, 03:21:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maverick

Very similar in concept to the Mosquito NF.XV (the high altitude variant to take on the Ju-89P/R overflights).

Regards,

Mav

GTX

Quote from: Maverick on July 05, 2011, 12:54:18 AM
Needs an AI radar 'arrowhead' methinks.

Me thinks it is a development prototype...why else would such an obvious but me left off :rolleyes: ;)?

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

GTX

Recently posted over on SecretProjects - A Whirlwind with under-nacelle intakes:

Use your imagination and you can almost see Napier Sabres there ;D.

Regards,

Greg

Martin H

For those wanting to do the "tank buster" its been possible to do for a while now  ;D
There's the special hobby kit which is very nice but not cheap.

<blatent plug> :wacko:
And there is also a conversion for the Airfix kit as well, from yours truly that is less expensive.

</blatent plug>

Yes I do have a thing for Whirlwinds
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

GTX

Ah, if you did it in 1/48 you might have a customer in me ;)

Martin H

Quote from: GTX on August 12, 2011, 02:10:06 PM
Ah, if you did it in 1/48 you might have a customer in me ;)

You master it, Ill clone it LOL
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

kitnut617

Quote from: GTX on August 12, 2011, 12:50:27 PM
Recently posted over on SecretProjects - A Whirlwind with under-nacelle intakes:

Regards,

Greg

I've read an article in one of the Air-Britain mags I get, that a lot of comparison testing was done between the wing leading edge radiator installation on aircraft and the chin radiator set up (sometimes called a 'beard' ).  When they did the comparison on the Mosquito using a Lancaster power egg nacelle, they were amazed to find no performance difference at all and the Air Ministry wanted De Havilland to build the Mosquito this way to keep commonality and ease of production. De Havilland would not have anything to do with it though and the leading edge radiator installation continued,
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

The Wooksta!

Regards,

Greg

Not with that lightweight airframe, no.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

jcf

Quote from: The Wooksta! on August 12, 2011, 02:42:43 PM

Regards,

Greg
Not with that lightweight airframe, no.

... ah, but that was why they secretly re-engined a Whirlwind with the ultra-secret 16-cylinder Napier Épée.  ;)
A little known fact is that the Épée design was the basis of the BRM H-16 Formula 1 engine of the mid-1960s.
Unfortunately the BRM folks so altered the design, that the end product was something of a drut.

;D ;D

sequoiaranger

What *WAS* that? Notice that the props turn opposite the Peregrine, so there is *SOMETHING* strange "under the bonnet".
My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

Green Dragon

The exhausts look like they're off a Hurricane.

Paul Harrison
"Well, it's rather brutal here. Right now we are advising all our clients to put everything they've got into canned food and shotguns."-Gremlins 2

On the bench.
1/72 Space 1999 Eagle, Comet Miniatures Martian War Machine
1/72nd Quad Tilt Rotor, 1/144th V/STOL E2 Hawkeye (stalled)

rickshaw

I wonder, could they be Merlins under there?  Might explain the need for increased or changed radiators.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on August 12, 2011, 03:04:51 PM
A little known fact is that the Épée design was the basis of the BRM H-16 Formula 1 engine of the mid-1960s.
Unfortunately the BRM folks so altered the design, that the end product was something of a drut.

But it sounded WONDERFUL, and in the back of the Lotus 43 driven by Jim Clark it won the US Grand Prix at Watkins Glen in 1965! Classic Lotus have found an H16 and they're putting back into the only 43 left, I can hardly wait.  :lol:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

rickshaw

Quote from: PR19_Kit on August 12, 2011, 11:37:15 PM
Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on August 12, 2011, 03:04:51 PM

But it sounded WONDERFUL, and in the back of the Lotus 43 driven by Jim Clark it won the US Grand Prix at Watkins Glen in 1965! Classic Lotus have found an H16 and they're putting back into the only 43 left, I can hardly wait.  :lol:

Was that the race Jack Brabham came third in?
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

NARSES2

Quote from: Green Dragon on August 12, 2011, 06:08:36 PM
The exhausts look like they're off a Hurricane.

Paul Harrison

And the cowlings look not dissimilar to scaled down Typhoon ones to me
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.