Shorts Skyvan and Sherpa

Started by Mike Wren, October 15, 2005, 04:46:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weaver

How about a helicopter Skyvan?

Options:

1. Main and Tail Rotor (MTR): remove all flying surfaces, fit a long tail boom with a tail rotor on it and a big single main rotor.

2. Co-Axial Counter-rotating Rotor (CACR): fit the fins upside down and fit two co-axial rotors like a giant Kamov.

3. Tip-driven rotors (TDR): as per 2. but with a single rotor with pipes at the head and tip jets.

4. Gyrodyne/Rotordyne. Keep both normal engines on stub wings, either have a driven rotor with differential prop pitch for anti-torque (Gyrodyne) or full Rotodyne tip-drive autogyro rotor.

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Weaver

Nice one Apo!  :thumbsup:

You know the helicopter Skyvan is really doable - it looks bigger than it is: in fact it isn't any bigger than a Sea King.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

Jeffry Fontaine

Quote from: apophenia on June 24, 2009, 06:52:49 PM
Quote from: Weaver on June 24, 2009, 02:01:01 AM
How about a helicopter Skyvan?

If you are going for a rotary wing conversion, what about a tandem rotor arrangement as found on the Piaseki/Boeing Vertol HUP/H-25, H-46, H-47, or the Bristol Belvedeere?
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Weaver

Some comparisons, courtesy of Weaver's Mocking Shop  ;D:

From the top:

Sea King
Belvedere
Hind
Skyvan
Skyservant

As you can see, the Skyvan would have to be a lot longer to justify a tandem rotor. Mind you, it might be interesting to make it a lot longer..... :wacko:

The hump over the wing centre section is engineered into the side and roof panels and removing it would be problematic, hence my suggestion to fit a Sea King sized single main rotor. The co-axial rotor from my ESCI Hokum (the non-existent tandem-seat one) would also fit nicely too, as would a tip-drive rotor made from a pair of Huey rotors fastened together at 90 deg.

Hey there's a thought: use the two Huey rotors in a Kaman egg-beater layout!  :wub:

- Indiana Jones

jcf

Quote from: Weaver on June 25, 2009, 03:02:50 PM
As you can see, the Skyvan would have to be a lot longer to justify a tandem rotor. Mind you, it might be interesting to make it a lot longer..... :wacko:

Short 360 long (70 ft 10 in) or the unbuilt 450 long (84 ft 2 in)?  ;D

Mossie

I'm surprised no-one else has come up with it, but take off the wings & tail, bung some wheels on it & it's the Short Landvan! ;D
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Weaver

Quote from: apophenia on June 26, 2009, 03:12:12 PM
Nice one Weaver  :thumbsup:

Jon: the 360 ruined a perfectly ugly airplane!

PMSL  ;D :thumbsup:

Has there ever been a kit of the 360? In any case, the Skyvan's nose is "more helicopter". Grafting two together would be doable, but a lot of work.....

- Indiana Jones

Mossie

I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Mossie

While I'm on this thread, thought I'd mention a real world 1/1 Shorts 330 whiff.  I pass this every over day or so when I'm working in York, it's clearly visible from the A1079 when it's wheeled out.  This is the 'Phoenix', used as the control room for Wolds Gliding Club.  It's wheeled to whichever end of the strip they are using that day.  I'm sure it'd have been easier to use a caravan, but it's a different approach to aircraft preservation!

It still wears the colours of MUK Air, it's previous owner.  More pics on Airliners.net for anyone that's bothered!:
http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?regsearch=OY-MUB&distinct_entry=true

And in it's pre-previous life working for Guernsey Airlines:
http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?regsearch=G-BITX&distinct_entry=true

Image borrowed from Airliners.net:

I'm very much thinking of taking them up on a few lessons since I came into a small but welcome amount of cash recentley, I'll post pics if I do!

rickshaw

No nosewheel but there is definitly something it seems propping the bum up to stop it from being a tailsitter.  :lol:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Mossie on June 26, 2009, 07:04:40 PM
I'm very much thinking of taking them up on a few lessons since I came into a small but welcome amount of cash recentley, I'll post pics if I do!

Mossie,

Go for it! I got a week's gliding course at Aston Down, the Cotswolds Gliding Club, for my retirement pressie from the old firm and had a great time. I used to glide as a cadet back in the 60s, and have taken a few flights since, but a concentrated course is much better.

Let us know how you get on please.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Jeffry Fontaine

Quote from: Mossie on June 26, 2009, 07:04:40 PMIt's wheeled to whichever end of the strip they are using that day.  I'm sure it'd have been easier to use a caravan, but it's a different approach to aircraft preservation!
Simon,

Seeing that fuselage makes me wonder if anyone has considered a curry wagon?  Should be enough room for a stove and an espresso machine inside with a water supply.  All it needs is a small chimney sticking out of the top and a dutch door on the side of it with the top half folded up to provide shade and a small shelf for the cash register.  Take your order sir?  We have fresh curry  and would you like a lager with that ? ....

Quote from: rickshaw on June 26, 2009, 09:17:02 PMNo nosewheel but there is definitly something it seems propping the bum up to stop it from being a tailsitter.  :lol:
See attached image
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Weaver

Quote from: Jeffry Fontaine on June 27, 2009, 05:03:31 AM

Seeing that fuselage makes me wonder if anyone has considered a curry wagon?  Should be enough room for a stove and an espresso machine inside with a water supply.  All it needs is a small chimney sticking out of the top and a dutch door on the side of it with the top half folded up to provide shade and a small shelf for the cash register.  Take your order sir?  We have fresh curry  and would you like a lager with that ? ....

PMSL ;D ;D ;D - that's as good as the white-Skyvan-man idea!  :bow:

Do it with a flyable Skyvan as the ultimate in airshow catering...... :wacko: :thumbsup:

- Indiana Jones

Mossie

Quote from: PR19_Kit on June 27, 2009, 01:43:50 AM

Mossie,

Go for it! I got a week's gliding course at Aston Down, the Cotswolds Gliding Club, for my retirement pressie from the old firm and had a great time. I used to glide as a cadet back in the 60s, and have taken a few flights since, but a concentrated course is much better.

Let us know how you get on please.

Thanks Kit, you're the second person to enthuse about it!  A lady I work with is a pilot (but just had to sell her aeroplane due to fuel costs) & powered flight is her thing, but was very enthusiastic that I should try gliding & this club in particular.  I've got the next week on holiday to take a well earned break.  I copped for an inordinate anount of flak for something just before I broke off so I'm a bit stressed as to what happens when I return, so I need something to take my mind off!  This might just be the ticket.  Also, I've always wanted to learn to fly, I took a lesson a couple of years back with the intention of going further, but the cost was a barrier.  I'll see how I go, but this might just be a low cost alternative.

Quote from: Jeffry Fontaine on June 27, 2009, 05:03:31 AM

Simon,

Curry Skyvan!  I love it!  Fly in, detach the wings, open a side hatch & serve overpriced takeaway food to the masses!  There'd be it's chip Skyvan & burger Skyvan equivalents too!  Think you've found a niche there Jeff!
:drink: :party: :drink:

JayBee

OK a little true story about the Short 330.
Picture it;
Edinburgh airport, Scotland. A relatively quiet day.
The GMC (Ground Movement Controll) controller (Me) had a SH330 just taxying on to it's parking stand next to a British Airways Viscount.

Heard on the R/T:

"GOD, That's ugly"

"Yes, but it's new!"
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!