Shorts Skyvan and Sherpa

Started by Mike Wren, October 15, 2005, 04:46:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mossie

Found this, thought the scheme might work for an Ice Cream Skyvan!

More funky Skyvans from Pink Aviation here!

I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Weaver

Quote from: Mossie on June 27, 2009, 06:56:05 AM
Curry Skyvan!  I love it!  Fly in, detach the wings, open a side hatch & serve overpriced takeaway food to the masses!  There'd be it's chip Skyvan & burger Skyvan equivalents too!  Think you've found a niche there Jeff!
:drink: :party: :drink:

Detach the wings hell - you drag a canvas awning and a few poles out of the back and sling it over them: "well you can eat our curry in the dry or their burgers in the rain mate....." :thumbsup:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

NARSES2

I've been looking on site for Mike Wren's fantastic "Man in a white Skyvan" model, but can't find it  :banghead: I'll have to dig out the brochure I did and scan it

FOUND IT  ;D

http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,10185.0/highlight,skyvan.html
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Weaver

Going back to the helicopter idea, I just realised that the Kamov Ka-25's engines and rotor system is perfect for the Skyvan. Although the Hormone's body is smaller than the Budgie's (but not by much), it's MTO is 4000lb higher and it's rotor diameter 10ft greater than the Skyvan's length.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

jcf

The Hunting-Percival P.74 and related tip-jet driven helicopter projects seem like the perfect antecedent to a Skyvan helo:
http://www.aviastar.org/helicopters_eng/percival_p-74.php

http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1955/1955%20-%201815.html

particularly the  P.105 project:
http://www.aviastar.org/helicopters_eng/percival_p-105.php
"The engine/rotor unit was a complete unit and could be fitted above any type of fuselage."

Jon

Mossie

If there was such a thing as a P.74 kit, it would look good whiffed into a Skyvan style light transport.  Real World, the Miles Aerovan pretty much fitted the bill as the Skyvan's predecessor of course, that too might look good with all the various evil plans mentioned here! :dalek:
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

PR19_Kit

Miles re-fitted one Aerovan 4 with Hurel-Dubois type wings, it was at a Farnborough Show in the 50s sometime when I was there.

It looked totally impossible, this flying egg fuselage with pen-knife blade wings, and it had a RIDICULOUSLY short take-off run! As I recall that experiment is what started Shorts on the Skyvan idea, and both of them used the struts to gain significant amounts of lift.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

jcf

Quote from: PR19_Kit on June 30, 2009, 03:35:22 PM
Miles re-fitted one Aerovan 4 with Hurel-Dubois type wings, it was at a Farnborough Show in the 50s sometime when I was there.

It looked totally impossible, this flying egg fuselage with pen-knife blade wings, and it had a RIDICULOUSLY short take-off run! As I recall that experiment is what started Shorts on the Skyvan idea, and both of them used the struts to gain significant amounts of lift.

That was the HDM-105, the concept was further developed as proposed the HDM-106 Caravan.
Shorts purchased the HDM-106 design from Miles and it was the starting point for what eventually
emerged as the Skyvan.

rickshaw

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on June 30, 2009, 03:57:55 PM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on June 30, 2009, 03:35:22 PM

That was the HDM-105, the concept was further developed as proposed the HDM-106 Caravan.
Shorts purchased the HDM-106 design from Miles and it was the starting point for what eventually
emerged as the Skyvan.

Just by chance I came across this reference in the Flight Archive:
H.D.M.106. An experimental prototype of this interesting new transport project is now
being constructed by Miles at their aerodrome factory at Shoreham. It is an Anglo-French
venture, the initials H.D.M. signifying Hurel-Dubois and Miles. The idea was to conjoin
the aerodynamic advantages of the high aspect ratio wing (in which, of course, Hurel-Dubois
excel) with a small but capacious fuselage (15 passengers or a ton-and-a-half of freight)
with big rearward-opening doors, thus combining in a small vehicle the commercial advantages
of freighting as well as passenger-carrying. In its initial (H.D.M.105) experimental
form—in which it will fly next year—the aircraft will be a Miles Aerovan modified to take
a new high aspect ratio wing of 75ft span.
[Source]
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Weaver

So if one of us (it might not be me) does turn a Budgie into a helicopter, what should be do with the spare wings? What would benefit most, or most entertainingly, from the Hurel Dubois treatment?

- Indiana Jones

Mossie

Sovietise it, use a Mi-8 fuselage???

JayBee

Quote from: Weaver on July 01, 2009, 07:33:50 AM
So if one of us (it might not be me) does turn a Budgie into a helicopter, what should be do with the spare wings? What would benefit most, or most entertainingly, from the Hurel Dubois treatment?
A Long Skyvan, as opposed to a Short Skyvan ?

OK Coat, Hat, job.

JimB
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

ChernayaAkula

Quote from: Mossie on July 01, 2009, 07:50:12 AM
Sovietise it, use a Mi-8 fuselage???

Sounds like a cool idea! :thumbsup: And use the rest of the parts to make a Skyvan helo!
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

Weaver

Quote from: Weaver on July 01, 2009, 07:33:50 AM

In answer to my own question, how about sticking the wings and engines on a Wessex and replacing the original enginer bay with a clamshell nose-doors to make a sort of mini-Bristol Freighter?

- Indiana Jones

ChernayaAkula

^ Now that's just inspired!  :bow:
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?