Main Menu

Mirage 4000

Started by nev, October 19, 2005, 03:03:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lancer

Outstanding work Nev.
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

nev

Thanks for posting those pics Yannick, and yes, the probe comes from the Italeri Mirage 2000D :)

Sadly, last night I had to attatch the vacform canopy and made a real dogs breakfast of it  :(  Its too wide for the cockpit, so to make it fit the sides you have to squeeze it, which forces the front and the rear upwards, leaving big gaps  :angry:   There was a 3-4mm gap at the front......

To make it worse, even tho I put a coat of future on the canopy, the fumes from the superglue have scored some of the inside of bits of the canopy  :dum:  

It looks horrible, with big white blotches on the clear bits, tons of filler at the front and rear, and a step/gap down the sides where I can't get in to fill and sand due to the location of the air intakes.

I'm doing my best to try and fair it in, but as for the damage on the inside...I'm thinking of doing and F-16 and painting the canopy with Tamiya clear smoke to try and disguise the damage

A depressed Nev  :(  
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

gooberliberation

perhaps buy a new canopy from them?
================================
"How about this for a headline for tomorrows paper? French fries." ~~ James French, d. 1966 Executed in electric chair in Oklahoma.

dexter059

PolluxDeltaSeven

QuoteThanks for posting those pics Yannick,

You welcome Neil ;)

For your canopy problem, what about building your own??
Is the problem with the canopy or the inside cokpit?
If it is with the canopy, with some packing's plastic and the heat of a hair drier or a toaster, you could vacform your own...

It's not very easy, but it is possible ;)
"laissez mes armées être les rochers et les arbres et les oiseaux dans le ciel"
-Charlemagne-

Coming Soon in Alternate History:
-Battlefleet Galactica
-Republic of Libertalia: a modern Pirate Story

Davey B

Ohhhhh...

DADDY WANT!!!!!  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  

nev

I could, but that wouldn't solve the damage done to the inside by the superglue fumes...

Geoff has kindly offered to send me one of his spares.  If I can't manage to make the one I've got look semi-presentable, I'll rip it off and replace it.  

I'll post a picture later of how it looks.
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

noxioux

You can repair the canopy, if the damage from the glue isn't too bad.  Hopefully just some clouding?

It's kindof labor-intensive, but you can sand the cockpit down using increasingly fine grits (start at 400 or 600, work up to 2000).  After the 2000, you can use a plastic polish/rubbing compound (from an auto parts store).  Then dip it it future, set it on a folded paper towell and cover with a paper cup.  It really does work pretty good.  I had to fix the canopy on my 1/48 F-15, and it worked very well.  Got the howto from the ARC site.

If all you're talking is the inside of the canopy, I think that would be the ticket.

nev

You can have any colour as long as its Light Ghost Grey

nev

Here's the abortion also known as "the canopy"  :dum:  :dum:

Pretty Horrible eh?  At least I managed to fair in the big step down the sides.  The other side isn't so bad with the fogging.  And from a distance you can hardly tell.......this one will be at the back of the stand methinks.

Oh, and I need to tidy up the painting of the canopy framing - done freehand over the merest hint of framing on the vacform piece.

nev

The kit instructions come with 1/144 scale painting guides, so I placed my 1/144 F-16 over the top to give you an idea of the size of this Gallic beauty  

nev

Heres as far as I got before Isaac woke up and it was time to go to the park.  Started putting on the Intermediate Blue.

NARSES2

Keep at it Nev she's going to look good

Chris
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

nev

Hu144 Intermediate Blue (the recomended colour) is far too grey and far too dark, so I lightened it with 25% white and 25% pale blue, and it looks a lot better now

nev

one with the flash on so its less grainy