Return of Luft 46

Started by Sisko, November 06, 2005, 02:43:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Madoc

Jeffry,

QuoteThat is a very interesting shape for a WWII-1946 aircraft.  Reminds me of some of the Rutan designs.  I wonder if he was inspired by that project?

How so?  The canard layout?  Lemme see... hmm... putting the elevator assembly in front of the main wing... hmm... Hey, didn't a coupla bike mechanics from Ohio hit upon that one first?  Yeah, I thought so!   B)

As to the blended body work, yeah, that sure is sweet!  Perhaps though, good ol' Burt 'n his boys took inspiration for that from someplace else.  Someplace like, oh I dunno, the XP-67 Moonbat?

Still though, that P.87 looks pretty sweet.  Sticking a coupla Jumo out the back end in place of that DB 610 would've made for an interesting bird!

Madoc
Wherever you go, there you are!

Sisko

Hey guys thanks for the kind words.

The camo was achieved using a very thinned down mixture of tamiya light green and methylated spirits. I use Metho because I find that it sprays better, dry quicker and is a hell of a lot cheaper than Tamiya thinners.

I used the beige fine detail nozzel on my Aztec and I just fiddeled with the air pressure on my compressor until I got the desired result. I practiced a bit on scrape plastic before I got to the real thing.

I would spray a bit then clean the nozzle to prevent clogging and spitting. It took about 5 hours to acheive the result.

The key is patience.

The planet kit is actually not bad and the fit of the fuselague halves was so good that virtually no filler was required. I have built many injection moulded kits that could not claim that!!!!!

This is about my third or fourth planet kit and I really like them. Just watch the older releases they can be a bit hit and miss.

The newer the release the better the kit.
Get this Cheese to sick bay!

Sisko

QuoteQuestion: did you move the plane or the airbrush to get your squiggles?

Jeff G.

I held the Plane and moved the airbrush around.

John Howling Mouse

QuoteI used the beige fine detail nozzel on my Aztec
Please don't tell me that you were actually able to produce these fine lines using the AZTEC!

Owning an Aztec airbrush is the best excuse I had for being incapable of fine airbrush work.

I even convinced Ms. Hitler that's why I had to buy other airbrush(es) and could never quite explain to her why my fine lines work continued to suck so badly.

Aw maaaaaaaaaaaaan!!    :blink:  
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

Leigh

:wub: Sisko beautiful model, and like everyone else the paint is awesome subtle yet striking.

Baz I think Azteks are like Mac computers love em or hate em.My first airbrush was an Aztec and I hated it, got better results dipping a two inch wide brush in paint and flinging it at the model so I switched to a badger 150. I just got a Badger 200-20 which  used on my Messerscmitt and it's an awesome little detail brush and less than $50.

I invite all and any criticism, except about Eric The Dog, it's not his fault he's stupid

Leigh's Models

Sisko

Funny alll my work is by Aztec and I have had very few issues.

If and when it dies I will buy and Iwata. But for now the Aztec has served me well.

Allan

Great model, Sisko.

Where do you get the Planet models in OZ?

Allan in Canberra

Sisko

This particular one I got from Earl at NKR.

Un-fortunately he does not hold much stock of Plant any more so it's either Hanants or Roll Models

noxioux

That's a real beauty :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  

matrixone

Sisko,
Great aircraft subject and even better airbrush work!

Thanks for posting.

Matrixone

gooberliberation

QuoteOwning an Aztec airbrush is the best excuse I had for being incapable of fine airbrush work.
At least you dont have the 20 dollar testors single-action walmart special. I've had it for a few years and i just NOW got it to work on a routine basis.

That is sure one of my favorite Luft'46 designs!  Yours is waaay better than the renderings on luft46.com
================================
"How about this for a headline for tomorrows paper? French fries." ~~ James French, d. 1966 Executed in electric chair in Oklahoma.

cthulhu77

I love cheap airbrushes for simple stuff...you can pick up some at Harbor Freight for like 5 bucks.  But, still rely on the paasche for anything detailed...never did like azteks, they seem to clog with a glance.
  Still keep on going back to look at this bird...beautiful !

Sisko

Quotenever did like azteks, they seem to clog with a glance.

I reluctantly have to agree but I guess it is like your wife you love her good points and learn to live with the bad ones.

cthulhu77

Well, my brother (who is also a painter), loves his aztek...swears by it, in fact !  I must just be too clumsy to work with them.

Sisko