B-17/ KC-135 hybrid

Started by Eddie M., November 08, 2005, 05:03:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie M.

I'm gonna start posting the pix of this build until the B-17 GB REALLY takes off. :lol: Here's the beginning of the construction until now. :)
http://www.whatifmodelers.com/forum//index...?showtopic=7377

In this one, I've extended the nacelle with a section from a dud 707 and the rear fairing is the very end of the fuselage of the KC.
 Eddie

Look behind you!

cthulhu77

Coolness, Eddie !!!  Coming along nicely !  

dragon

...and I thought that the "Rutan" B-17 was crazy enough!   B)

On the other hand, it would help the Whiff cause.  It would seem that Whiffing is catching on!  I actually saw decals in the Squadron Supplement for a Spruce Goose in TWA colors.   :cheers:  
"As long as people are going to call you a lunatic anyway, why not get the benefits of it?  It liberates you from convention."- from the novel WICKED by Gregory Maguire.

"I must really be crazy to be in a looney bin like this" - Jack Nicholson in the movie ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO'S NEST

Tophe

Thanks for posting it here again (I had never gone on the other group forum). Your model is incredible, so nice... :wub:  
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Sisko

Hey Eddie great to see that you are still pushing the envelope What If wise.

I must say that I would never have considered the B-17 updateable.

Can't wait to see the finished result.

Get this Cheese to sick bay!

Ollie

Keep the 6 engines, 4 wouldn't burn as much fuel...

;)  :wub:  

Martin H

hmmm A yank Bear eh.  try this one then Lee. boeing did look at a Bear type thingy.  The XB-55.

I love the B-17/135 concept thou  :D  cant wait to see it finished
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

Eddie M.

QuoteDon't know about the six engines - how about just having four turboprops instead?  RR Elands?  And I'd ditch the turret aft of the cockpit too.

Overall midnight blue and USN markings as a post war US equivalent to the Bear?
You have a good point about 6 engines. After looking at the interference with the flight controls and how much time I can save :P , I'm going to back down to 4 props. My next decision is seeing if the props look good with 5 blades. I could make longer blades if I need to, but I want to use as much of the orginial props as I can. Your suggestion freed up a lot of time. Thanks.
     Eddie
Look behind you!

Big_Daddy

Looking good as always Ed.

nev

QuoteYou have a good point about 6 engines. After looking at the interference with the flight controls and how much time I can save :P , I'm going to back down to 4 props. My next decision is seeing if the props look good with 5 blades. I could make longer blades if I need to, but I want to use as much of the orginial props as I can. Your suggestion freed up a lot of time. Thanks.
     Eddie
How about going with contra-props?  You get 8 engines that way for the price of 4!  :lol:

BTW, love what you've done so far  :wub:  
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Ian the Kiwi Herder

"We're not worthy..... we're not worthy !" etc.....  :lol:

I H-G
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

elmayerle

QuoteYou have a good point about 6 engines. After looking at the interference with the flight controls and how much time I can save :P , I'm going to back down to 4 props. My next decision is seeing if the props look good with 5 blades. I could make longer blades if I need to, but I want to use as much of the orginial props as I can. Your suggestion freed up a lot of time. Thanks.
      Eddie
How about going with contra-props?  You get 8 engines that way for the price of 4!  :lol:

Seconded on both the contra-props and the intense appreciation for what you have so far.  Ae you staying with the B-17's engines or are you going for something more powerful?  If the latter, I've a few thoughts if you're interested.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

Eddie M.

Eddie

Seconded on both the contra-props and the intense appreciation for what you have so far.  Ae you staying with the B-17's engines or are you going for something more powerful?  If the latter, I've a few thoughts if you're interested.
I would like to stick with the 'Fort engines for two reasons. 1. I want to keep the "flavor" of the B-17. I want people to be confused a bit when they see the old engines on the new style wing. 2. That's all I've got. :lol:  I make due with what I have, but I would like to hear your ideas. You may change my mind if it's feasible to me. Thanks to all of you have shown praise for this project. I appreciate it very much. :)
    Eddie
Look behind you!

Captain Canada

Nice going, Eddie !

Six or four engines.....the coolness factor remains ! Love the idea of sticking with the big radials.

Great stuff !

:wub:  
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Eddie M.

The front office is taking shape. As Wooksta put it, I'm trying to keep that" room full of guys with slide rules" look. The nose addition is the nose of the KC inverted and trimmed to fit. Here's the prototype 5 blade prop. I'm happy with the way it turned out. ^_^
     Eddie

Look behind you!