B-17/ KC-135 hybrid

Started by Eddie M., November 08, 2005, 05:03:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Howling Mouse

Wow, very powerful statement this big beastie makes.

Since you've done such a good job with all the putty work, you could go natural metal finish  like so many big birds have been at different times.

You could pull it off with two or three different shades of Tamiya spraypaint and some Post-It ™ notes/masking tape.

Just a thought.  Reminds me of the Tu-95 Bear era.
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

Eddie M.

Check out this site for lots of other brainstorming ideas. http://www.beuliland.com/html/albumes/usapw/

Black, white, and gray would look cool (night missions over the frozen tundra?)

DG
That site is incredible! B) I think I found one that I like. I do see this being forward deployed in the Arctic, say on a leased base in Canada :P
http://www.beuliland.com/html/albumes/usap...Command_jpg.jpg
Thanks for the correct spelling of Grizzley. ;)  :lol:
     Eddie
Look behind you!

datguy

Ahh, the USAF Shamu scheme.  A very nice choice, Eddie.  BTW I agree,  that Camo Profiles is awesome.

Since your backstory has the Grizzly deployed in the frozen north, you could, very logically, add a white temporary disruptive pattern over the Shamu colors (a la the USMC or RAF in Norway).  And, there is every reason to believe that it might be in a large splinter pattern like the Germans used in WW2.  That way you can get the best of both worlds.

Now, please pardon me for going JMN on you, but your Grizzly's going to need a B-for Bomber designator to serve in the USAF.  Fortunately, Boeing and the Pentagon offer us three very attractive choices.  The following comes from Joe Baugher at:USAF Bomber Designations

"Boeing XB-54: Proposed version of B-50 with P & W R-4360-51 compound engines. Canceled in favor of B-36 before any prototype could be completed. "

"Boeing XB-55: Long-range heavy bomber powered by four Allison T-40 turboprops housed in pods under a slightly swept- back wing. Abandoned before prototype could be completed because of greater promise of B-52. "

"Boeing XB-56: Version of B-47 with four Allison J-71 jets. Project was canceled before prototype could be completed. "

Since your planform is so clearly "modern Boeing," I'd recommend designating the Grizzly the B-56B. Then you say that the originally planned J-71's turned out to be useless, but that a low risk "interim design" using piston power was envisioned as being especially useful in brush fire situations like Korea in the 1950s.  This was reinforced by the early years of the Vietnam experience, though her operating envelope put her at severe risk for both AAA and SAMs and many losses were sustained.

Nonetheless, she survived in service long enough to wear the Shamu scheme of the 1980s, proving her value and the soundness of the basic Boeing design.

All hail designer Eddie!

DG

K5054NZ

Wow wow wow wow WOW!!!! Mr Miller, I'll say to you what I said to Phil Makanna: "You, sir, are a GOD!"

It's getting close! I can feel it in me bones!

When is Anigrand coming out with one? I want one!

Jack Bobson

There's a lot in this I like... but most of all I love the way the B17 canopy just blends in!

Awesome!

Eddie M.

Once again, thank you all for your kind words about this build. Let's see if I can continue through the rest of the project, because there's plenty of road yet to be traveled.

Datguy, thank you very much for the great story and research. I'm going to use your suggested designation of B-56B Grizzly or as it's aircrew knew it as "The Griz" ;)  :)

One update for tonight. I've gone back and done some reverse engineering to put in some wheel wells to house the gear. I should have done that in the beginning, but I never thought this would have evolved as much as it has. Here's a dry run shot of the"new" double wheel nose gear. You can see the well that is going to be trimmed to fit later.
   Eddie

Look behind you!

cthulhu77

Truly, a magnificent beast!  

Eddie M.

Simon R has given me a big kick in the donkey after seeing his beautiful work on his Vengence. This post isn't much, really just documentation if nothing else. Bomb bay is done and hopefully tonight a coat of gray. I'm going with 2 relatively dark greys.
I need it that way to contrast the decals. As JHM knows, They are a bit "colorful" ;)  :lol: I felt a bit out of sorts about that one until I started noticing that Navy birds are mixing the colors up again, so off I go...... B)
    Eddie
Look behind you!

Eddie M.

Bottom color is on. Now I watch paint dry <_< ;)  :)
   Eddie
Look behind you!

SimonR

Absolutely superb! Great realistic looking concept and master craftsman execution.

What are you cooking up for that generously proportioned bomb bay?
Simon

This is the curse of speed;  I have been a slave to it all my life. On my gravestone they will carve 'It never got fast enough for me'.
Hunter S. Thompson

Brian da Basher

That Griz is really looking good Mr. Miller. I'm watching this one with bated breath. Everytime I log on to the board, I hope for an update on this incredible project.

Brian da Basher

Eddie M.

The Griz now has it's colors. I know, it's a little rough on the eyes at first, but give it a chance. It'll grow on you, like a fungus! ;)  :lol: Still lots of work, but this is the basic look. :) I used a combo of "soft" and "hard" masks. Painting is still not my strong suite <_< . One of these days, I'm gonna have to hire one of you pros out there to help me out on a build. :P
  Eddie

Look behind you!

Ollie

cthulhu77

:blink:
    F'ing AWESOME !  

retro_seventies

Looking great Eddie!  :wub:

You're in the home stretch now mate...and...and...and i think that makes me a little sad actually...

I've really enjoyed watching this build - here's to in progress shots!  :cheers:  :cheers:  :cheers:  
"Computer games don't affect kids. I mean, if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." Kristin Wilson, Nintendo Inc, 1989.