B-17/ KC-135 hybrid

Started by Eddie M., November 08, 2005, 05:03:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian da Basher

Backstory ideas #1

With the failure of both the Consolidated B-36 and Boeing B-50 projects in the late 1940's the U.S. Air Force was in a bind to fulfill its need for a long-range bomber. Jets were initially considered, but then put aside due to their limited range. Fortunately, a new company, Eddie Aeronautics, stepped in to fill the void with its B-517 proposal. Eddie Aeronatics got its start at the end of W.W. II by salvaging surplus aircraft for civilian use. The experience they gained doing this allowed them to venture into proposing a long-range bomber using a mix of technologies from the venerable B-17 and captured German swept wing technology. A subsidiary firm, Eddie Armaments developed a revolutionary rotary cannon for tail defense. With the marriage of all these diverse technologies, the B-517 EddieFortress was born. It had a storied career bolstering S.A.C. in its early days, replacing war-weary B-29s. During the Chosin Reservoir disaster in the Korean War, it was key in implementing Gen. MacArthur's directive to lay a field of highly radioactive cobalt waste all along the Yellow River border between North Korean and China. This led to a Chinese pullout from the conflict and reunification of the peninsula under R.O.K. control. After the Korean War, the B-517RB was used for recon duties over the vast territories of western China and Siberia. The transport version also had a long career, notably bringing beer and other beverages into Saigon for parched G.I.s during Viet Nam and flying out tons indigenous Pho to an America disillusioned with Campbells' soup. The last B-517 acted as personal transport for F.E.M.A. head Pete "Pork" Barrel and was retired quietly sometime after Ronald Reagan's last official nap as President.

Stay tuned for Part 2...
Brian da Basher

Eddie M.

Now that's what I'm talking about! If you could see the smile on my face, you'd be pretty pleased with your outstanding story. Thank you Basher! :)  :D  B)
   Eddie
Look behind you!

Brian da Basher

Backstory ideas #2

At the close of W.W. II, the U.S. Navy found itself in need of a long-range, land based bomber/recon platform. Fed up with being forced to use modified aircraft, the Navy sought a truly original design that would encompass all the specialized naval equipment that was necessary. All major U.S. aircraft companies submitted bids, but by far the lowest bid came in from a new upstart firm, Eddie Aeronautics. Eddie Aeronautics got its start salvaging war surplus aircraft, and felt this experience, along with a glimpse of captured German swept-wing technology, gave it all the tools to provide the U.S. Navy with the PV-517 "Eddieteer". A subsidiary firm, Eddie Armaments, developed a revolutionary rotary cannon to give punch to the Eddieteer's tail defense. After approving the initial development contract, the Navy was thrilled when the PV-517 passed flight trials with much greater than expected performance. In yet another technological masterstroke, Eddie Aeronautics developed the Eddie Flap of incredible ability which allowed the Eddieteer to make emergency landings on aircraft carriers. The PV-517 was key in gathering intelligence on the North Koreans and Chinese during the conflict and was used in a daring night mission to mine Wonsan harbor. The most famous mission however, was the record-breaking round-the-world flight of the famous PV-517 "Eddie's Girl" which demonstrated the U.S. Navy's prowess at both air-to-air refueling and a new method known as "snatch and grab" in which the aircraft would grab specially designed disposable gas tanks from the decks of surfaced submarines. The PV-517 led a long and storied life and ended its operational career around the time President Jimmy Carter donned the last sweater of his administration. The last mission of the incomperable Eddieteer was in photographing the beaches of southern Florida, providing valuable intel on the Spring Break phenomena.

Brian da Basher

Jeffry Fontaine

Quotebecause with all the putty I'm going to have to use, I'm gonna need a kick in the donkey to stay motivated.
Depending on what type of putty you are using, you just might want to open up a window or wear a respirator.  
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Eddie M.

Quotebecause with all the putty I'm going to have to use, I'm gonna need a kick in the donkey to stay motivated.
Depending on what type of putty you are using, you just might want to open up a window or wear a respirator.
How right you are. I use Squadron White and that stuff is strong! I putty in small increminents and open the door to"my" office to the outside. Here's the start of puttying. I did this small part to give me an idea of how difficult the clean up is going to be and it's gonna take awhile. <_< This isn't even the hard part. The wings are going to be some work. Already tonight I have removed the inboard nacelle to try and simplify it. I'm almost tempted to remove the main gear from the B-24 and use it.( much simplier process) That is a last resort. :)
     Eddie

Look behind you!

John Howling Mouse

There's something quietly beautiful and intriguing about kitbashes in progress.
All that work and dissimilar bits and pieces coming together.
Maybe it's because this kind of project emulates the way it would be built as a "real" full-size subject.

Keep going, Eddie!

Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

proditor

The other day I was reorganizing my ersatz library and stuck in amongst Nabakov, Lovecraft, and Poe, was a little piece of mind numb called "The Wingman" by Mack Maloney.  Why do I mention this you ask?  Well, they are sort of a guilty pleasure when I want to just enjoy silly silly silly action adventure where the good guys always win and get laid.  Moreover however, books 14 and 15 take place in an alternate dimension where WW2 never ended and the design philosophy of everything is "Bigger is better".

They have a bunch of weird planes that are mostly two "real" planes sort of mashed together.  Like the B-17/52.  Yup, a B-17 front office with B-52 wings and tail.   :blink:

Oh, and 8 engines per wing.

I've been tempted to toss these literary "masterpieces" Eddie's way as a dropped gauntlet.

"Oh, so you can make stunning models out of just an idea and an old kit or two?  Try making a 60 man crew B-17/52 that's got a wingspan of over 400 feet."

But then I realized something...

I might only encourage him.... :unsure:

Back to the model, it looks fan-freaking-tastic Eddie!  

As an aside, thanks for getting me back into modelling.  Seeing Eddie's stuff prompted me to live up to my idle threat to dump a hundred bucks on 1/144 kits and then toss all the instructions.   :dum:  

cthulhu77

It's like watching Dr. Frankenstein building the Bride...ugly, but going to turn out sexy ! (ok, I thought she was hot)
  Super progress Eddie.

greg

K5054NZ

QuoteIt's like watching Dr. Frankenstein building the Bride...ugly, but going to turn out sexy ! (ok, I thought she was hot)
:blink:  :o
I'm loving those backstories, and they just fit so well with the build. hehe...I'm gonna love this one when it's done. Bring on the -517! B)  

Leigh

How right you are. I use Squadron White and that stuff is strong!
Eddie with the amount of bashing and scratching you do have you tried Bondo red auto glaze and spot putty? A big tube is only a couple of bucks and it cures real quick and alot of smoothing /clean up can be done while it's still tacky with a kleenex and some acetone. I switched from squadron white to this stuff and the difference is amazing, 90% less sanding and almost no wait time.

Frankenstein's Bride is gonna look real sexy masybe I'll steal some of the inspiration for the Revell B-24 I abandoned last week. Hmm maybe I could bash it with the wretched 1/96 Skywarrior I've got.

I invite all and any criticism, except about Eric The Dog, it's not his fault he's stupid

Leigh's Models

Eddie M.

QuoteThe other day I was reorganizing my ersatz library and stuck in amongst Nabakov, Lovecraft, and Poe, was a little piece of mind numb called "The Wingman" by Mack Maloney.  Why do I mention this you ask?  Well, they are sort of a guilty pleasure when I want to just enjoy silly silly silly action adventure where the good guys always win and get laid.  Moreover however, books 14 and 15 take place in an alternate dimension where WW2 never ended and the design philosophy of everything is "Bigger is better".

They have a bunch of weird planes that are mostly two "real" planes sort of mashed together.  Like the B-17/52.  Yup, a B-17 front office with B-52 wings and tail.   :blink:

Oh, and 8 engines per wing.

I've been tempted to toss these literary "masterpieces" Eddie's way as a dropped gauntlet.

"Oh, so you can make stunning models out of just an idea and an old kit or two?  Try making a 60 man crew B-17/52 that's got a wingspan of over 400 feet."

But then I realized something...

I might only encourage him.... :unsure:

Back to the model, it looks fan-freaking-tastic Eddie!  

As an aside, thanks for getting me back into modelling.  Seeing Eddie's stuff prompted me to live up to my idle threat to dump a hundred bucks on 1/144 kits and then toss all the instructions.   :dum:
I read a lot of those books about 20years ago and need to find a few of them again. I do remember that that guy was the W.I. of aircraft books before Dale Brown. I seem to remember a F-16XL that could carry something like 34 missiles. :lol: Yes, you are encouraging the madness :ph34r: I'm also glad that my little styrene and glue follies have gotten you to pick up the plastic again!

Leigh,
  I'm going to try and find that bondo you spoke of. I'm really looking for an easier way to finish a model. I'm kinda like JHM. I love the construction, but hate the sanding crap. Also, I'd be honored if you got some inspiration from one of my projects. I've seen your work and am humbled by your skills. :)

JHM,
I like your analogy about how a project progresses from start to finish. I know this thought has probably been floated before, but would it be cool to put together a build team (or teams) to glean the best talent of each person into one model. Who knows what we could accomplish!( in my best evil scientist laugh) HAHAHAHAAAA. :ph34r:  :ar:  :lol:
   Eddie  
Look behind you!

John Howling Mouse

That Bondo Red "Glazing & Spot Putty" can be found in most automotive sections (Wal Mart, etc.).  It's beautiful stuff for ease of reducing to what you need, especially with simple wetsanding.

I've posted a pic of the tube on here somewhere in the past (see below) so you'll know what you're looking for.

But it is not good for thick applications or strength.  It is used by autobody mechanics to fill minute scratches like sanding imperfections and it will crack under any kind of stress (i.e. putting it into a wing-to-fuselage joint).

Do you ever use CA glue with an accelerator as a gap-filler?

Or Milliput ™ ?  Milliput itself is way overpriced, especially when you find out it is simply repackaged two-part plumbers epoxy putty that you can buy at any hardware store for less than half the price.  Oops, did I say that out loud?

Me, I stick with trusty Tamiya filler.  If you don't have a source for it in your neighborhood, just let me know.  I'm returning another box your way tomorrow anyhow.

I sent you a message to home with some decal options, btw.
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

proditor

Heh, Eddie, you're forgetting he also managed to cram 6 20mm Vulcans in that XL.  Ah the goofiness...I love those books.   :dum:

I can speak to the efficacy of Tamiya's modelling putty.  Not the gap filler, but the two part putty.  It costs half of what milliput costs and gets you staggering results.  

Here are my "endorsements": http://mywebpages.comcast.net/modgod/falsworth.htm
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/modgod/kemlo.htm

Those are two heavily modded minis I made using Tamiya's modelling putty.  You can see what I did on Kemlo pretty easily, but on Union Jack; The collar, chestpiece, gauntlet ties, boot ties, belt, holsters, and mask were all made with Tamiya putty.  It blends well, dries strong and sands relatively easily once you get used to it.  The main thing I noticed with it is that it rarely gets air pockets so one pass and some contouring is usually enough.

For gap/seam filling, I use Squadron green unless it is load bearing; then I mix up some Tamiya putty.

Ollie

Yes, Tamiya's two part putty is very neat, it dries hard like rock and is a bitch to sand once it's set...

:wacko:  

Jeffry Fontaine

On the subject of filling materials, have you ever tried using 3M Acryl Blue and Acryl Red?  It works very well, comes in a very LARGE tube and is relatively cheap when you look at the price paid to quantity/volume acquired with the purchase and best of all, it lasts a very long time.  
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg