B-17/ KC-135 hybrid

Started by Eddie M., November 08, 2005, 05:03:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie M.

Thank you very much Gentlemen for all the info on fillers and putty. I'll see what I can find in the two horse town down the road from the one horse town I live in. :rolleyes: I kinda  like the red to use on top of the white to see the flaws and correct them. :)

JHM,
 Here's where I sound like an igmo, but what is gap filling CA. I use the regular and gel CA, although the gel and accelerator gives off fumes after a violent cure. I don't use the kicker on gel anymore. :)
   Eddie  
Look behind you!

Brian da Basher

You can use CA to fill small seams etc. but the trick is to sand it before it totally cures, otherwise it becomes hard to sand. I use CA as a gap filler as much as I can get away with. It's so much quicker and easier than putty.

Brian da Basher

Andrew Gorman

I've been using the same tube of Acryl Green for close to four years- it was what was available at the auto body supply shop in the 1 1/12 horse town I was working near.  Truly fabulous stuff, especially compared to Squadron.  I've also used epoxy gas tank patch- it sets up a little fast, and cures rock hard, but it's cheap and available anywhere.
Andrew

Eddie M.

I finally have a design for the inboard engine that's simple(HA!) and looks okay.
JHM,
  Here's your out of the box thinking test. What did I use for the yellow fairing. If you get it right, I'll build you a Gatling gun( even if you don't, I'll still build you one if you want :) )Everyone's welcome to guess if you'd like. :)
   Eddie

Look behind you!

John Howling Mouse

QuoteI finally have a design for the inboard engine that's simple(HA!) and looks okay.
JHM,
  Here's your out of the box thinking test. What did I use for the yellow fairing. If you get it right, I'll build you a Gatling gun( even if you don't, I'll still build you one if you want :) )Everyone's welcome to guess if you'd like. :)
   Eddie

Starfighter fuselage!!!

I like my Gatling Gun's in 1:35 scale.

;)  
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

John Howling Mouse

QuoteJHM,
  Here's where I sound like an igmo, but what is gap filling CA. I use the regular and gel CA, although the gel and accelerator gives off fumes after a violent cure. I don't use the kicker on gel anymore. :)
    Eddie
As you may already know, CA (cyanoacrylate) glue comes in varying viscosities.

In industrial applications, the Loctite™ family of CA glues is the only game in town.  You can gargle with most "hobbyist" glues compared to the Loctite industrial-strength stuff.

Believe it or not, we have Loctite sales reps come to industrial sites like ours to give seminars on the CA glues.  They get really enthusiastic about it, too.

Loctite 414 is the basic, middle-of-the-road phenomenal stuff.  Things that have only a hair's thickness will be affixed more firmly than any other CA glue I've tried.
I used that to set the aerial line on my 1:48 Corsair and you can pick up the entire model by that single human hair (Ms. Hitler's).

Loctite 416 is the "gap filling" CA glue I was referring to.  You can put a bead of accelerator in place first (no need to spray it), and drop a line of this stuff into a gap and it's instantly filled.  I've filled 1/8" gaps this way in a single pass.  

Loctite 420 is thinner than water.  Great for running capillary action on joined parts you can no longer reach with normal glues (like when you forget something).
Is so strong I once accidently got less than a full drop of it into a fully-functioning metal prop firearm and could not get the hammer to ever move again.

Which reminds me, if you can, use latex gloves when handling CA glues and ALWAYS have a bottle of CA debonder handy (I use "Z-7 Debonder by Pacer Industries).

Oh, and keep your CA glues in the fridge.  Sales reps always harp on this and all their distributors actually have little display fridges for their stock.

Eddie M.

I'm sorry, did you say the nose cone off one of my Estes rockets? Well, you'd be exactly right! ;)  The "barrels" are 9/10 of an inch long,so hopefully you can find something to use it on. I guess it would depend on how tightly I grouped the barrels. I'll make a couple and let you see which one you prefer. B)

Thank you for the info on the CA. My arsenel will be more complete because of it.
    Eddie
Look behind you!

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Scooterman

QuoteMmmm....420

:P
Pass to the left please........ ;)  

Eddie M.

QuoteMmmm....420

:P
Pass to the left please........ ;)
Suddenly I'm hunger for a box of Frosted Flaks, and some chips and a burger and ......... ;)  :lol:
   Eddie

Look behind you!

Brian da Basher

That's really excellent work on the 517 there Eddie! I love your solution for the inboard engine nacelles! This whif is coming together beautifully!

Brian da Basher

Eddie M.

Alright, I've got the engines on the wings in a fashion that I'm happy with. This part has been a real challenge( read discouraging :angry:  <_< ) and that's why it's taken so long for an update. Now the wings come back off so I can fashion some spars. Lots off puttying to go and lots of small details to do. :wacko: Whoever suggested making the inboard nacelles like a Bear, thank you for the most challenging part of this build ;)  :). It's not that easy to mount engines from a straight wing to an angled one. Then again, I probably did the most difficult way there is, I'm sure. :lol:
    Eddie

Look behind you!

Brian da Basher

Woah that Eddieteer/Fortress is really shaping up into one big, beautiful bird! I love what you've done with the inboard nacelles. I'm thrilled at your wonderful progress and excited to see more!

Brian da Basher

Eddie M.

QuoteWoah that Eddieteer/Fortress is really shaping up into one big, beautiful bird! I love what you've done with the inboard nacelles. I'm thrilled at your wonderful progress and excited to see more!

Brian da Basher
Thank you. ^_^ Here'a pic to give everyone an idea of how big it is. She's 21" long and 21 1/2" wide. this one is definitely going to be a ceiling hanger. :P
   Eddie
Look behind you!

John Howling Mouse

QuoteThis part has been a real challenge (read discouraging and that's why it's taken so long for an update). Now the wings come back off so I can fashion some spars. Lots off puttying to go and lots of small details to do.  Whoever suggested making the inboard nacelles like a Bear, thank you for the most challenging part of this build.  It's not that easy to mount engines from a straight wing to an angled one.
Not to worry: we have our best man on it!

;)