Weekend Build

Started by AeroplaneDriver, November 12, 2005, 06:35:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AeroplaneDriver

Well, we are heading across to England on Monday so I have a tight deadline, but the whiffing bug has bitten this morning and I cannot resist the urge, sooo......

When the tragic loss of the Y-100 in May 1953 revealed several flaws in the basic design the USAF's F-100 program was pushed back by several years.  Seeing a need to field a more capable fighter while waiting for the Super Sabre the US ordered a batch of 88 Hunter F.6 aircraft from Britain.

Known as the Hunter F-99A, the F.6 was basically a stock aircraft with only minor modifications for US weapons, including replacement of the four 30mm Aden guns with four M39 20mm cannon for ammunition commonality.  During it's short service life the F-99 carried iron bombs, 2.75" unguided rockets, as well as Sidewinder and Bullpup A missiles.

First delivery of a USAF Hunter was in April 1956, and the type served in front line squadrons until 1959 when all F-99s had been replaced with the redesigned F-100A.

F-99s continued to serve in Air National Guard units in North Carolina, Tennessee, and Michigan until final retirement from the Michgan ANG in 1970.  The Tennessee ANG operated 28 F-99As from 1957 until 1965.  Though US Hunters never saw combat, TNANG F-99s armed with Bullpup missiles were deployed to Key West NAS in 1962 during the Cuban Missile Crisis.

More pics will follow....

So I got that going for me...which is nice....

david sMiGielski

Oh that's just awesome. I can't wait to see it finished. Now you're getting me thinking the same kinds of thoughts...

:cheers:  
How did the country lose its way...when did we stop rooting for the man with a flame-thrower or an acid-spraying gun of some kind?

cthulhu77

Hunters out of Key West...Love it !! Hopefully, with some really gaudy colour schemes????

AeroplaneDriver

Two hours in and things are moving along.  The cockpit is done, the wings are assembled and the fuselage is glued.

After the reviews I read abotu this kit I expected the parts to jump together and asemble themselves when cut from the trees.  Fit is great in most areas, and there will be no filler on the fuselage anywhere, but the fit ofthe wing parts could be better.  Seperate leading edges and wingtips are provided and both could fit better.  Fortunately both are a shade too thick, so it can be fixed with sanding instead of filling, since I want a nice clean all-plastic surface for the NMF.

More after lunch...

Jeffry Fontaine

Great idea and looking forward to seeing it done.  Now all you need to do is get a Canberra (B-57A) with the fishbowl canopy as a companion to your F-99A.  
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Geoff_B

Hmmn so do we keep table space open for it at Telford for next weekend ? :D .

Don't forget to do a build article and photos for MartinH's newsletter  

anthonyp

Cooool, F-99 in MANG colors...  It'd look good as part of the Six-Pack, too bad decals for the 171st are nearly impossible to find nowadays.

Looking forward to seeing it finished!

:cheers:  :cheers:  
I exist to pi$$ others off!!!
My categorized models directory on my site.
My site (currently with no model links).
"Build what YOU like, the way YOU want to." - a wise man

Ian the Kiwi Herder

One can never see enough Hunters !

I H-G
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

AeroplaneDriver

T+8 hours and a familiar form takes shape.  A couple of hours out and about doing "real life" things has me a bit behind where I hoped to be, but it's still moving along.  Gear wells, intakes, and flap interiors are painted silver, seams are mostly taken care of, and I hope to get the Metalizer aluminum on the airframe tonight so I can finish up tomorrow.

I think the F-99A will also be growing a refueling probe, probably mounted under the left wing a'la the F-100.

AeroplaneDriver

Last for tonight...

The aluminum didnt make it on today since I decided to add a little color like some of the really great schemes of the '60s.  So the color is painted and awaits drying so I can mask it to spray the metalizer.

More tomorrow.

edited for a new pic...I decided the black anti-glare panel going into the black radom didnt look good, so off it came.  I'll do an anti-glare panel and seperate small black or white radome later.

NARSES2

It's going to be gorgeous I just know it  :wub:  
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

AeroplaneDriver

Sunday morning and the metalizer is done.  Next come the various bits and bobs like gear, weapons, etc while ti cures a bit.

david sMiGielski

Gorgeous. Just gorgeous.

How did the country lose its way...when did we stop rooting for the man with a flame-thrower or an acid-spraying gun of some kind?

nev

Great choice of kit for a weekend build, and she's looking gorgeous  :wub:  
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Ian the Kiwi Herder

QuoteSunday morning and the metalizer is done.  Next come the various bits and bobs like gear, weapons, etc while ti cures a bit.
Ohhhh, d*mn !

Just had to excuse m'self of monitoring the International Distress Frq to change me undies !

I H-G
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)