Main Menu
S

SAAF P-40E

Started by SinUnNombre, November 12, 2005, 06:34:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SinUnNombre

This is the Academy 1/72 kit. This is a pretty nice little kit, no real problems so far. Not much progress to report. Got the wing tops glued to the wing bottoms, and the horizontal stabs to the fuselage halves. A few other parts cut from the sprues and test fitted. Didn't feel like wasting bandwidth with a pic just yet. Hopefully more progress and some pics tomorrow. Thanks for looking. Later.

Jon

P.S. anyone know where I can get some good roundel sets? I need some for this, my Philipino F6F, and my North Korean Me-163.

John Howling Mouse

No pics yet?

Tease!    :P

Oh well, something to look forward to for tomorrow, then.
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

retro_seventies

ummmm...

not actually a piccy there old chap...

can't wait though  :D  
"Computer games don't affect kids. I mean, if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." Kristin Wilson, Nintendo Inc, 1989.

SinUnNombre

Some progress report and pics for the more patient among you. I got the fuselage sides glued together and the center pylons glued on. Here are the prelim pics:

Sorry about the quality, I can't figure out my new digicam so I used my webcam. I hope to get the interior put together and painted by tonight. More pics to come. Later.

Jon

K5054NZ

Can't wait to see the finished product

Allan

Well, I for one just want to see that North Korean Komet.

Allan in Canberra

SinUnNombre

QuoteWell, I for one just want to see that North Korean Komet.

Allan in Canberra
Well, you might have to wait a while on that one. Because its at the bottom of my stack and its in literally the exact same stage this one is.

Progress: I built and painted the interior. I have to redo the sticks because I screwed them up. I hate little parts. Hopefully by tomorrow I can get the interior in and the wings on, then all the pre-paint fiddly-bits. Hopefully she'll get masked off too, but that's a stretch.

Jon

SinUnNombre

Sorry for the lack of progress, guys. This build stalled for awhile after I found out the South Sfricans really did have P-40s( :angry: ). So, now I'm thinking "Soccer War"-era El Salvador.

Got a little bit of progress though. The interior's finished and put in. The fuselage is done except for a few little things then I can prime and paint. I'd post some pictures right now, but its late and I just don't want to right now. Pics will come tomorrow.

Jon

Brian da Basher

Jon, Soccer-War era is a great idea! Also, fairly easy to pull off because you can use Greek roundels and call them El Salvadoran! I think you can even use the blue-white-vlue fin flash as well. Here's a link: http://cocardes.monde.online.fr/v2html/en/...l_salvador.html

Looking forward to seeing the rest of your progress!
Brian da Basher

P.S. As for getting roundel sets, you might want to try the decal bargain bin at your Local Hobby Store. If that doesn't work for you, try Squadron online: http://www.squadron.com

SinUnNombre

Sorry about not having any progress updates, guys. I'm still torn on who to build this for. Either I do South Africa with tan/NG, El Salvador with OD/NG, or Chile with OD/NG. What do you guys think? On the postive side, I got the pylons for the SNEB pods glued in. Now I'm just tidying a few things up, and looking for my tube of Squadron gray putty. I'll be glad when I warms back up and I can paint again. I'm really gonna need a kick in the donkey if I'm going to finish this thing anytime soon. Thanks for looking.

Jon

K5054NZ

QuoteOn the postive side, I got the pylons for the SNEB pods glued in.
:lol: WOW! SNEB rockets! Are they the podded ones sort of like on Harriers? If so, this thing is gonna be MEAN! :ar: I'm lovin' this P-40 gone bad! Excellent!

How about this: What if Piper chose the P-40 to be modernized and put into production as the PA-48 Enforcer?  B) Now, if anyone wants to build this please give me credit for the idea and let me write the backstory.

K5054NZ

Oh, I forgot to say, PICS PLEASE! Esp of these famous SNEB pylons. AWESOME!!!

SinUnNombre

QuoteOh, I forgot to say, PICS PLEASE! Esp of these famous SNEB pylons. AWESOME!!!
Thanks for the compliments K5054NZ. Yes, the rockets are podded. I got them and the pylons in the Airfix 1/72 Hunter FGA9(cough cough Irish Air Corps cough cough). Oh, and is it cool if I take a rain check on posting pics? I'm getting ready to go to bed since I've got school tomorrow. Pics ETA: 1500 19 Dec 05. :P

Jon

P.S. keep pushing me along on this one. Like I said, I'm going need a major kick in the donkey to get this done.

K5054NZ

Got school? Bugger. I finished - permanently - a month ago!

I'll take on the job of pushing you along, young Jon. Looking forward to those pics!

SinUnNombre

Well, they ain't the greatest, but here are the pics. Hopefuly, I'll break out the digicam for the finished ones.

Here's a shot of the pylons:

And here she is with the proposed loadout dry-fitted:

The pods are kind of hard to see without any paint contrast between them and wings, but you get the idea. The centerline bomb is from the kit. More to come....

Jon