Whaf if Panther und Jagdpanther

Started by Aircav, November 13, 2005, 10:52:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aircav

"Subvert and convert" By Me  :-)

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Vertical Airscrew SIG Leader

dexter059

Thanks for the link Aircav, nice to see more what if armor....... :wub:  

rallymodeller

That's honestly something I had never thought of! B)  
--Jeremy

Poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part...

More into Flight Sim reskinning these days, but still what-iffing... Leading Edge 3D

dexter059

Idea for the backround story: :mellow:

Because of the negative of the USA Congress to supply military hardware to Germany, the first equipment available to be issued in short time to the newly created Bundeswehr in 1955 were the last 1400 Panthers chassis stored since in 1945. So, german industry Rheinmetal Borssig started the rebuilt of 1000 Panthers and the conversion of the remaining 400 chassis in Jagpanthers, with new engine and transmission, fire control equiment, new 105mm gun for Jagdpanthers and 90mm for Panthers, etc. Thanks to developement of new technologies, this titanic  effort allowed the quick deliver of these vehicles to the newly formed Panzer and Panzer Grenadiers Divisions, waiting the end of development and full scale production of new Leopard 1 MBT.
The retooling was so successful (cheap, effective, reliable, the machines were very popular between the crews), that this WWII vintage machines were thorughly used until 1987, mainly in Territorial Army units (instead of the real life M48G1). After the arrival of big numbers of new Leopard II MBT to Bundeswehr units left available enough Leopard 1 to replace the old equipment of the Territorial Army. Some of the last surviving units  are now displayed in the Panzer Museum in Munster, as seen in the pictures below.....

interesting isnĀ“t it?  ;)
best regards

Aircav

"Subvert and convert" By Me  :-)

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Vertical Airscrew SIG Leader

Martin H

Now those I like.   great idea for a back story as well dexter.
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

lancer

Those are fantastic!! Pure class. Dexter, you have a gift for a damm god backstory mate. Excellent.
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

dexter059

Thanks people, sorry about my english though ^_^

Martin H

QuoteThanks people, sorry about my english tough ^_^
I woudnt worry about your english...its better than some of the people who live around here in the swamps  :P
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

lancer

QuoteThanks people, sorry about my english tough ^_^
I woudnt worry about your english...its better than some of the people who live around here in the swamps  :P
Hey, I know some swamp people who can grunt so well you can almost understand them.... :o  :D  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

Captain Canada

Wow...thanks for that, Stevie !

Especially like the Jagdpanther...looks too right in those colours. And who knows, would have been easy enough to have happened. With all the sheer numbers of Soviet armour........

:wub:  
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Ollie

Radish

Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen