Ekranoplan 727 progress

Started by The Rat, November 20, 2005, 05:32:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Rat

Thanks Baz! Any idea how that stuff might react with polystyrene? That's always a BIG worry.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

John Howling Mouse

QuoteThanks Baz! Any idea how that stuff might react with polystyrene? That's always a BIG worry.
The triple glaze stuff?
It's just an acrylic finish and has no adverse reaction to polystyrene.

Unless, of course, you count the fact that the first time I tried it, even Matchbox-sized panel canyons were instantly filled in and rendered invisible!
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

The Rat

Okay, Krylon's "Triple-Glaze" it is then. Just have to find out where to get some.  :huh:  
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Brian da Basher

Wow Rat that's coming along swimmingly! I love flying boats and I really like what you're doing with this build! I can't wait to see the finished product and read the backstory.

Brian da Basher

Ollie

Well, well, well!

Isn't this the guy who's complaining about me and the F/A-37, eh?

Looking good buddy!

:wub:  :)  

John Howling Mouse

QuoteOkay, Krylon's "Triple-Glaze" it is then. Just have to find out where to get some.  :huh:
Got mine at "Michael's" craft store and believe Crappy Tire carries it, too.

Jeffry Fontaine

QuoteThanks guys. The hardest part at this stage isn't the carving, it's the fear of carving. There's always this nagging thought that you're going to somehow stuff it all up so badly that even putty might not work, and more balsa could be needed. I guess the trick is to take it slowly, no heavy pressure with knife or sandpaper, and monitor the progress after every couple of strokes.
I thought you knew the secret of working with wood.  The trick is to just carve away everything that IS NOT not your Ekranoplan hull...
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

The Rat

Had a disaster last week, the plane took a tumble which seriously screwed and skewed the balsa on the nose, took a lot of recarving and putty and it still doesn't look right from all angles.  :angry:

But what the hell, nobody is going to see that kind of detail in pictures (If I take them right...  ^_^ ), so the project is underway again. Made a jig out of Lego to get the canards and elevators on, just waiting for it to dry before sanding the filler. Should get the floats on soon.

Mike Wren

that's looking great Ratty  :D  

Brian da Basher

Woah that's just WICKED! What kind of paint and markings are you going to use?

Inquiring minds want to know...

Brian da Basher

cthulhu77

now...those are CANARDS with an attitude !!!!

Ollie

John Howling Mouse

Coo-OOOL!
And it's a T-TAIL!   :wub:

Lego-jigs for stabilizers: why did I never think of that?  Brilliant!

You should send that in to FSM for their Tips section.

The Rat

QuoteWoah that's just WICKED! What kind of paint and markings are you going to use?

Inquiring minds want to know...

Brian da Basher
Thanks guys! This will be in Argentine markings for another abortive attempt to invade the Falklands. I plan on posting the back story and pictures on ARC during Silly Week. Floats are on, priming should occur tonight or tomorrow, might even have it all done after the weekend.  

nev

wow, that thing sure is Gerry Anderson  :wub:  
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May