Ekranoplan 727 progress

Started by The Rat, November 20, 2005, 05:32:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian da Basher

Thanks guys! This will be in Argentine markings for another abortive attempt to invade the Falklands.
Don't you mean Ilas Malvinas?  ;)  This whiffer is gonna be one for the books, Rat-man!

Brian da Basher

The Rat

QuoteDon't you mean Ilas Malvinas?
"GUARDS?! Kill that man." - King Bruno the Questionable, Jabberwocky.  :P  
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Eddie M.

Thanks guys! This will be in Argentine markings for another abortive attempt to invade the Falklands.
Don't you mean Ilas Malvinas?  ;)  This whiffer is gonna be one for the books, Rat-man!

Brian da Basher
Just so long as you can say that in English. ;)  

Rat,
  That is one cool project you've got there. Very cool indeed B)
      Eddie
Look behind you!

Brian da Basher

EngRish!!! I love this aircrafts very goodly from bottom inside me!

Brian da Basher

The Rat

QuoteEngRish!!! I love this aircrafts very goodly from bottom inside me!

Brian da Basher
ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US!  :ph34r:  
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

The Rat

Okay, here's the provisional back story that will go with the model, comments and suggestions please. Speak now or forever hold your peace!

Argentine Air Force General Julio Mucholoco will long be remembered as the man who not only dragged his country into the Second Falklands War, but also created one of the world's more unusual aircraft. That is, if you consider something flying no more than a few metres high to be an aircraft.

On a liaison trip to the U.S. he was interested to see thousands of aircraft, obsolete and/or derelict, at many airports in the southwest, and his thoughts immediately went to the cold, dry Patagonian Desert of his own country. If he could persuade some airlines to fly aircraft there he could exercise the many dreams he had entertained during his academy courses in aerodynamics. Back home he convinced the government of his needs, and arrangements were immediately made through diplomatic and business channels. Within weeks he had airframes at his disposal, and all the technical expertise he required. Waves of aircraft were flying in over the storage airfield at Macho Grande.

Many airlines were still using Boeing 727s, one of the most common aircraft on the planet, but one which was becoming increasingly unwelcome in the days of jet engines with many times the power but with much less noise. There seemed no future for a plane which had once crowded the skies. But Mucholoco was about to give them a new lease on life.

Within a few months the first bizarre creation emerged from the hastily built factory. In order to maintain secrecy the trials were conducted only at night, an almost unnecessary precaution as it turned out. The concept and execution was so unexpected that there were no suspicions raised among any intelligence agency but one.

It was christened the Rayador, the Argentine name for the bird known in English as the Black Skimmer. And a skimmer this truly was, a Boeing 727, now barely recognizable, converted into a troop carrying Ekranoplan. Capable of transporting 100 fully equipped troops, they were designed to be used in the roughest ways imaginable, charging across heavy seas for take-off and landing, and forcing their way onto shingle beaches to disgorge their soldiers quickly. The powerful reverse thrust would be used to back off the beach and return rapidly for re-supply.

Details of the coup that installed Mucholoco as dictator of Argentina are still sketchy, but in his lust for conquest he made two literally fatal errors. His first was to discount Chilean interest in Argentine affairs, as if they had forgotten about their old rival. His second was to commit his entire armed forces to the operations against Britain, with nothing left for domestic security. His personal guard was composed of retired reservists with more appearance than substance, and this left him extremely vulnerable.

Just a few days before operations were to begin the British government was contacted by Chile, and the news was shocking. An Argentine invasion of the Falklands was about to take place, with a swiftness that was unheard of in the history of combat. Casting aside diplomacy and legalities, the Prime Minister of Great Britain made an equally swift decision - get rid of Mucholoco immediately.

As the first Rayadors were streaking across the south Atlantic, three SAS bricks crossed the border from Chile to Argentina. Within hours they were well on their way to Buenos Aires, just as the first engagements began between Argentine and British forces on the Falkland Islands. Two Rayadors were destroyed en route, but five managed to land safely. Any hope of a successful invasion was short-lived however, as it soon became obvious that there was nothing but confusion at headquarters. Orders and counter-orders monopolized communications, until any semblance of an organized operation fell apart. It was plain that Mucholoco was no longer in command, and probably dead.

At Number 10 Downing Street the door to the Prime Minister's office flew open without the customary knock. "We have received a message from our operatives in the field Sir!" The Prime Minister looked up inquiringly. The General permitted himself a satisfied grin as he read the decoded message in his hand, "Operation Log-off successful, Latin Pimp has left the game."

Brian da Basher

That's one great backstory there Rat-Man! That bit about Latin Pimp made me shoot cola out my nose!

Brian da Basher

cthulhu77

:cheers:, but mine was beer !   Good stuff !

The Rat

Thanks. After what that fuzzy bunny put ARC through I figured it would be nice to get some sort of revenge.  ^_^  

Gary

Milk...  through the nose that is.
Love it. It was perfectly serious till the last sentence. Good stuff
Getting back into modeling

The Rat

Getting primed in the laundry room, er, paint shop,

Starting to really look the part,

Underside view showing the grooved Evergreen sheet used for the main hull. I like the way this makes it look, it gives an impression of the real conversion being a quick and dirty job in order to get these in service as soon as possible,

This Model Master primer takes an eternity to dry, but once it is I'm not sure whether to leave it as is or cover it with Humbrol grey. The colour looks fairly good as a grey camo, and I might go with it all over and just slap the decals on.

anthonyp

That's good stuff...  It was serious for me until I saw the General's name all by itself (Mucholoco... Mucho loco   :lol: ).

Can't wait to see it finished!
I exist to pi$$ others off!!!
My categorized models directory on my site.
My site (currently with no model links).
"Build what YOU like, the way YOU want to." - a wise man

John Howling Mouse

Wow, overwhelmed over here!

For quicker (and better) primer, try the Krylon sandable grey spraypaint.
You won't be disappointed.
Hides minor sanding scratches without losing a single rivet detail and you can literally put on 3 coats an hour if you want to.

This is looking great!  Back story was great, too.

:wub:  :wub:  :wub:  
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

retro_seventies

ratty - she's beautiful!

seeing her in grey, it all comes together! i've never had much interest in civil types (besides painting them as freighters or tankers, or slapping AEW dishes or MAD booms on them), but this is a whole new direction - a real flash of genius!  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  
"Computer games don't affect kids. I mean, if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." Kristin Wilson, Nintendo Inc, 1989.

Brian da Basher

As retro said this is indeed a real flash of genius! Love the corrugated look on the bottom too. Personally, I'd leave it in that wonderful gray. If they were trying to get these things out in a rush job, they probably wouldn't spend too much time on the paint anyway. Excellent work!

Brian da Basher