Ekranoplan 727 progress

Started by The Rat, November 20, 2005, 05:32:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Rat

Okay Baz, I'm taking your advice and going straight to Canadian Tire tomorrow for some Krylon primer and paint. I have had it with Model Master, that rattlecan of their primer is the worst paint ever devised. (And that also goes for just about every other Model Master paint I've tried) Over 24 hours and it's still sticky, and it wasn't even a thick coat. I tried applying Humbrol grey over it anyway and it just went all to hell.  :angry:

Now I have to spend the next few hours stripping the thing. If it wasn't for the fumes I would be screaming, but a few sniffs should put me in a good mood.  :huh:

That and the beer.  :P  
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Ollie

Very nice Rat.

Keep me posted if you find any Krylon stuff at Canadian Tire...

;)  

Leigh

AWESOME! :wub:

I use Wal Mart equipment grey primer, goes on real thin, dries real quick and only 99c a can. It's probably made by Krylon as most generic stuff is made by the major manufacturer of same product.

Many times has my primer coat ended up as a top coat. Kinda silly to paint light grey over light grey.

I invite all and any criticism, except about Eric The Dog, it's not his fault he's stupid

Leigh's Models

The Rat

My head is woozy, my eyes are going funny, and the model now looks like a dog's breakfast, and that's before I've had beer.  :angry:

I tried blasting it for about ten minutes with a hair dryer, still no joy.

If, IF!, I ever get this thing dry I am probably going to paint it black all over.  :ph34r:  
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Gary

That is so amazing. I honestly thought it would look odd, but it's beautiful, and frightening at the same time.  
Getting back into modeling

John Howling Mouse

QuoteOkay Baz, I'm taking your advice and going straight to Canadian Tire tomorrow for some Krylon primer and paint. I have had it with Model Master, that rattlecan of their primer is the worst paint ever devised. (And that also goes for just about every other Model Master paint I've tried) Over 24 hours and it's still sticky, and it wasn't even a thick coat. I tried applying Humbrol grey over it anyway and it just went all to hell.  :angry:

Now I have to spend the next few hours stripping the thing. If it wasn't for the fumes I would be screaming, but a few sniffs should put me in a good mood.  :huh:

That and the beer.  :P
You'll be happy, trust me!

It will help hide some of the woes you're bound to encounter stripping the prior paint, too.

What are you using to strip the paint?  Wet-sanding and elbow grease or...
chemicals?   :unsure:  :o  
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

The Rat

QuoteWhat are you using to strip the paint?  Wet-sanding and elbow grease or...
chemicals?   :unsure:  :o
I grew up in the 60's, chemicals don't scare me!  :P

Well, I tried with Humbrol thinner, just about knocked me off the couch. Rubbing alcohol won't shift it, a hair dryer won't dry it, so maybe I'll leave it for about a week to see if it eventually dries, and then just cover the whole bloody mess with black.  :angry:

Maybe it'll go up for Silly Week 2007?  <_<

AeroplaneDriver

I feel your pain.  Model Master experiences finally got me to switch to acrylics.  I cant believe how much easier it is with Polly Scale and Tamiya than MM.

As for the ekranoplan....what more can be said.  Just unbelievable.  cant wait to see it black.  I can imagine a fleet of them skimming across Falkland Sound.
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

The Rat

It's just gone from bad to worse. I couldn't find any Krylon, four different Canadian Tires told me they had never heard of it, must be an only-in-Alberta product Baz.  :huh:

Anyhow, I grabbed something called Dupli-color and tried it. Disaster. The paint underneath has reacted and now the surface looks like an alligator.  :angry:

Looks like I'll have to dip the entire model in oven cleaner and make sure that nothing is left of the old stuff. Anybody know which brand of oven cleaner works best? Keep in mind it may go by a different name here in Canada.  <_<  

Ollie

Hey Rat, I bought a can of Krylon Gloss Black yesterday, and I used it this morning.

Do you want a can?   ^_^  

SinUnNombre

QuoteIt's just gone from bad to worse. I couldn't find any Krylon, four different Canadian Tires told me they had never heard of it, must be an only-in-Alberta product Baz.  :huh:

Anyhow, I grabbed something called Dupli-color and tried it. Disaster. The paint underneath has reacted and now the surface looks like an alligator.  :angry:

Looks like I'll have to dip the entire model in oven cleaner and make sure that nothing is left of the old stuff. Anybody know which brand of oven cleaner works best? Keep in mind it may go by a different name here in Canada.  <_<
Oooh. That hurts. I know exactly what caused it, too. Dupli-color is full-on, automotive lacquer and it crazed the plastic. Krylon is different. Its enamel. Did you have primer on the model? If so, what brand was it and how good was it, like sort-of stripped or laid-on evenly? If it was good, then you might be in luck. The paint could have just etched into a non-compatible primer and not or barely touched the plastic. That would just be a trip to the oven-cleaner or brake fluid lake. If its in the plastic, you might be able to sand it smooth. And as far as the best brand of oven cleaner, Easy-Off is what I've heard here in the states.

Jon

The Rat

QuoteI know exactly what caused it, too. Dupli-color is full-on, automotive lacquer and it crazed the plastic.
DAMN!!!!  :angry:  Well most of the model still had some paint on it, but it looks like it hit the area which was bare. Hopefully it can be sanded smooth.

I will NOT be sleeping well tonight.  

retro_seventies

ahhhhhhhhhhh poo-poo.  :(

i'm sorry ratty - fingers crossed that the prognosis is good, eh?  
"Computer games don't affect kids. I mean, if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." Kristin Wilson, Nintendo Inc, 1989.

SinUnNombre

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news on that one, Rat. I'm hoping that it will sand out pretty easy. Like I said, if there was some signifigant paint left on it, the crazing might not be very deep. Or, one the upside, you could just paint over that and say its a vibration-resistant coating or some BS like that.

Jon (The Eternal Optimist)

The Rat

I just went back and checked it. The crinkly bits have smoothed themselves out a lot, not perfect, but enough that a little sanding should even it out.

There is hope!

No more primer I guess. I'll just sand it, grab a rattle can of something, a really dark grey, and finish it off. What's a good hobby paint in a spray?

(Anyone who says Model Master gets a hex on all next year's projects. <_< )