Ekranoplan 727 progress

Started by The Rat, November 20, 2005, 05:32:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Rat

QuoteHey Rat, I bought a can of Krylon Gloss Black yesterday, and I used it this morning.
Where did you buy it?  :huh:  
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

BlackOps

I don't know how I missed this before, but damned nice project! Hope everything works out for the better because it is a beauty.

Jeff G.
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

Ollie

Canadian Tire, where else?

^_^  

The Rat

Alright, smack me on the donkey and call me stupid. I realised that I only checked out, and questioned personnel in, the automotive department at Canadian Tire, completely forgetting that they had a paint section.

So now I have some Krylon 41613, semi-flat black, and the first coat just went on.

Damn, it's hard trying to type when your fingers are crossed.  :unsure:  
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

The Rat

Second coat lookin' good! Might have some pics tomorrow.  ;)  

The Rat

Okay, just sanded off some slightly rough patches, couldn't resist a couple of pictures:

The paint looks kind of silvery in these pictures, maybe it's the flash:

The radar pod is a spare part from a criminally bad quality Apache helicopter kit that my son got in a birthday party loot bag. I think it was supposed to be a missile tube, but I added a round front made from putty. There were also some missiles on pylons which are currently in the paint shop.

Sisko

Oh my God that is so cooooool :wub:  :wub:  
Get this Cheese to sick bay!

Brian da Basher

Man that just keeps looking better and better! I love the black and that radar pod! This is gonna look fantastic when complete!

Brian da Basher

SinUnNombre

Glad to see this came out as good as it did. I knew you wouldn't be disappointed with Krylon. Great scratchbuilding, too.

Jon

retro_seventies

"Computer games don't affect kids. I mean, if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." Kristin Wilson, Nintendo Inc, 1989.

K5054NZ

Take it to whatever design bureau makes these things and get them to BUILD THIS! Russo-American cooperation, a great thing!

Jaw-dropping awe-inspiring epic model! Now, where's a "bow down" smilie?

B)  B)  :wub:  :wub: Paint it please! Boeing house colours? :wub:  

The Rat

QuotePaint it please! Boeing house colours?
Well, if you head back a couple of pages and read the back story you'll see what I have planned, certainly not Boeing colours!

Actually the initial idea, way back when, was to have it as a Chilean aircraft, either LAN or Ladeco colours. Finding decals was the big problem there, so I decided to use the Argentine markings left over from a Hobbycraft F-86.

I really wanted a grey, and the 'primer from hell' was looking good until it refused to dry properly. Yeah yeah yeah, I know most of you guys can't stand the boring grey that everything seems to be in nowadays, and I feel for you, honestly, and I agree. But let's face it, having it like that would certainly make it seem more real simply because it would look normal. But the semi-flat black looks just plain nasty, so that's cool with me.

But I seem to have this urge to put a rabbit logo on the tail!  :lol:

K5054NZ

Please do! Hef's Water Bunny! :wub:  

lancer

Ratty, you have done it again old son. That is so damm good it's almost criminal! ou've pulled a real beauty out of the hat there. My hat is off to you sir. Oh, and the back story had me snortingcoffee out of my nose first thing this mornng.
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

nev

How much more black can you get?  None, none more black.

:wub:  :wub:  :wub:  
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May