K

Yak-3 progress

Started by K5054NZ, December 04, 2005, 04:23:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

K5054NZ

G'day all
Well, the Hanna Memorial Lavochkin La-9 has currently stalled, awaiting decals from "Bill" in the US. The Yak-3, though, has had its first three coats of top colour (Tamiya XF-24 Dark Grey).

The unpainted areas on the nose are to be red. The underside will be Tamiya Sky Grey. Oh, isn't the Yak a looker? I just love the shape....mmmmm :wub:  :wub:

And THIS is to be my first vacform, courtesy of a French friend. Traded for an issue of a modeling magazine and 2 postcards.  B)
1/48 by JGMT, with white metal prop, exhausts and undercarriage legs which all need extra detail. Both spinners provided were, unfortunately, crushed sometime during the period between manufacture 18 years ago and arrival at my home. nyone got spares?

So. A whif Yak-3. What do you all have in mind? I'd love to see it with a Griffon, contraprop and RNZAF Korea markings a la the Italeri F-51D (which I'm still trying to get rid of HELP MEEEEE AAAARGH!!!!!!).

He he he  B) ideas please...

K5054NZ

Yes, it has been quite a while since I updated this one, but she is at last nearing completion.

After this pic was taken I did another coat of the top colour. The red and underside grey were done about a week ago. All that's left to do is install the undercarriage and paint the exhausts (as well as decalling).

The vac Yak......yeah, well, we don't always follow up with some projects do we? :rolleyes: I'll save it for the Vacform GB.

BTW, this Yak is going to be performing at Warbirds Over Wanaka this year, a show which I shall attend - and yes, PICS will be forthcoming!

Brian da Basher

Another fine build there Zac! I like that red paint around the nose. Looks really sharp! It seems there's a Whif-Factory down in Kiwiland now.  ;)

Brian da Basher

K5054NZ

Well Bri, strictly it ain't a whif (she's privately operated in NZ, and I get to meet her at Easter! Don't worry, there'll be plenty of pics!), but yes, I try. ^_^
Anyway. Here's some pretty pics for you. She ain't done, and I did a coupla touchups afterward. Hopefully I can decal it today.

Damian2

Looking real sharp Zac!!!
Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try.

Brian da Basher

Thanks for the bonus pics Zac! That's one sharp looking bird!

Brian da Basher