Convair C-99

Started by Mike Wren, December 05, 2005, 10:09:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Wren

have gathered all I need, well except for some balsa glue, which I forgot  :blink:  whoops!

anyway it'll be the production version with front/rear clamshell doors & the canopy on top, in natural metal with white fuselage top, arctic red tail & wing tips & full MATS markings...  :wub:  

Ollie

Tophe

Scratchbuilding a C-99 from a B-36? :huh:  Have courage, have faith, with our support... :huh:
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Captain Canada

Go Mikey !

That's alot of decals...where's they come from, that kit ?

:wub:  
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Ollie

I think the decals are from somewhere else, I never saw a MATC B-36 before.

:dum:  

The Rat

Quotehave gathered all I need, well except for some balsa glue, which I forgot ...
:huh:  Are you attaching the balsa to the plastic? I've been driving myself nuts with some balsa/plastic combos recently, if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask, I'll be the one cowering in the corner whimpering.  B)

White glue works fine for me, either for joining balsa to balsa, or a 50/50 mixture with water, brushed on, to seal the surface for easier sanding. For attaching to plastic I've been using Squadron putty.  ;)  
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

retro_seventies

you know, i got to actually see the xc-99 at kelly AFB.

do i win a prize?

:P  
"Computer games don't affect kids. I mean, if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." Kristin Wilson, Nintendo Inc, 1989.

Mike Wren

the decals are from Airway Graphics, for USAF C-97s, in 1/72 the bits I need are about right for the C-99 in 1/144

since the whole fuselage will be balsa & the wings in the kit are one straight piece I am hoping I will just be able to cut a slot through the fuselage and thread it through from one side, without needing to attach each one singly, well, at least that's the plan...

yes Retro, you win a 2006/07 Wolves season ticket... that'll teach you to be clever  ;)

oh, and here's my other B-36 project which got under way tonight...

Spellbinder99

And using the FICON version of that kit, you get a spare 1/144 Goblin as well....;)

Cheers

Tony

Brian da Basher

That's really cool Mike! I've built the 1/144 B-36B and have plans to get another one and lower the wing to the bottom of the fuse and swap the nose with a Lockheed Electra turboprop to make an airliner version. Unfortunately, I don't have the guts to attempt what you're doing. You have my best wishes for success! I'm looking forward to seeing pics!

Brian da Basher

P.S. IIRC, the the upper fuse is actually part of the wing assembly. This will necessitate some judicious cutting. I've been toying around with how to tackle that bit of surgery myself, so please keep us posted on your progress.

K5054NZ

:o  :unsure: I can't look! I wanna see a C-99, but I just can't look!

retro_seventies

Quoteyes Retro, you win a 2006/07 Wolves season ticket... that'll teach you to be clever

jesus christ mike, that's a bit harsh...can't you just beat me half to death instead?

good luck with the beastie btw - have total faith in you to pull it off (as the bishop once told me with a glint in his eye)
"Computer games don't affect kids. I mean, if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." Kristin Wilson, Nintendo Inc, 1989.

The Rat

Quote...have total faith in you to pull it off (as the bishop once told me with a glint in his eye)
I just shot a tangerine slice out my nostril! :lol:  :lol:  
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

nev

Wow, its a big project but I know you can pull it off mikey :)
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Ollie

Hey, I have a Wolves' jersey!

Bought it in Wolverhampton.  Now, why didn't  they put a Defiant on the shirt, eh?

:(