Colonial Navy Hornet FGR.1

Started by anthonyp, December 10, 2005, 12:25:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anthonyp

Here's the final installment of the Horde of Hornets series.  Instead of just taking a present day plane and giving it to a new country, this one requires some serious rewriting of history...

Pictured below is the pride of the Colonial Navy, the Hornet FGR.4.  This plane is the result of the Ministry of Defense telling the New World Colonies to figure out for themselves how to equip their carriers, using indiginously developed technology and planes.  It was a sort of competition to jump-start the sagging economy of the Colonies.

The McDonnel DeHavilland consortium developed this from their failed attempt in the light commonwealth fighter competition, losing to the Canadair Dynamics Lancer FGR.1,  McDeH redesigned their Wasp light fighter, and made it capable of landing aboard a carrier.

The design won out over the Canadair Dynamics King Tigershark, and has equipped the Colonial Navy's carriers since.  The Hornet FG.1 and FG.3 are the single seat versions, while the FGR.2 and FGR.4 are the two seat versions.  A larger version of the Hornet has been developed for the Royal Navy, and it is designated Hornet FG.5 and FGR.6 for the single and two seat versions, respectively.

These planes fly off the the Colonial Navy's Exeter class carriers, which are smaller than the full feldged supercarriers of the Royal Navy.  The Exeter class is equipped for, but does not operate the larger and heavier fighters of the Royal Navy, but those fighters are seen on the deck from time to time for joint operations.  RN fighter pilots are always pleased with the professionalism displayed on the smaller, regional crewed ships.

This particular example is the CAG bird for the "USS" Saratoga.  For Atlantic Cold Fire '05, the HMNWS Saratoga was redesignated as the "rebel" USS Saratoga.  Some of the crew have mused "What if the American rebellion was victorious at Saratoga instead of defeated" but serious thought on the matter shows that the American "Revolution" was indeed lost well before the first shot was ever fired.

This example is shown in the final cruise colors for HMNWS Saratoga, due to be replaced in service by HMNWS Enterprize in early 2006.

This is an Italeri 1/72 F/A-18C/D.  The idea came to me when I got some decals for an F-4K I got from Two Bobs.  I was intrigued by the use of the old US roundel, and got my hands on some addiotnal decals.  I had an Airfix weapons set, and went about arming this thing up.  It's got two Alarms and an LGB, as well as two AIM-132's.  I just like this one.
I exist to pi$$ others off!!!
My categorized models directory on my site.
My site (currently with no model links).
"Build what YOU like, the way YOU want to." - a wise man

anthonyp

anthonyp

anthonyp

anthonyp

Martin H

Now that I like...love the back story  :D  And to boot Enterprize spelt the right way lol.
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

Joe C-P

Me am liking. :wub: (Except as a Colonial I wouldn't want ol' Big Ears as my Prince.  :P )

I might be able to resist building the carrier underneath, for once...
In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.

Brian da Basher

There is just something about that star-and-meatball insignia that mesmerizes me everytime. Fantastic bird and backstory there Antonio, even if we did lose the war.
What the hell is a Guinea?  :huh:

Brian da Basher

Gary

I simply love retro markings. Cool man, cool!
Getting back into modeling

John Howling Mouse

What a great idea and I'm still finding it hard to believe this is 1:72 scale (looks 1:48 to me, based on the quality of its execution).

Great idea, keep 'em coming!
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

retro_seventies

love it!

might even build a hornet now (what am i saying) - in FAA colours....

"Computer games don't affect kids. I mean, if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." Kristin Wilson, Nintendo Inc, 1989.

Radish

Now that looks impressive! :wub:  :ar:  
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

K5054NZ

Wow. Who's been a busy boy then?

Love that backstory. Class!

Captain Canada

QuoteI just like this one.
Have to agree with you there, sonny !

Great job.....the Hornet just looks too cool in those colours and markings....great idea !

:wub:  
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

NARSES2

Once again I'm amazed by the quantity and quality of your output Anthony.

Just love this Hornet in "proper" FAA colours

Chris

PS - In your backstory (which is great) do the Colonist's learn to spell properly ?  :P  
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.