My first what-if

Started by Svaz, December 12, 2005, 10:58:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Svaz

Also my first attempt at a profile. A few more things here & there then I'll add the lighting effects. BTW, the grey is supposed to be NMF, but more on that later ...

(background story to come w/ the completed model...)

Cheers,

B

:ar:
Someday, I'll even finish a model ...

Glenn

There was a 'short nose' 190 captured in France, just after D-Day, and the US Squadron Commander had it painted gloss red overall, with stars and bars.

Glenn

Tophe

Google finds many ones on the Web... (welcome to the new one :) )
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

gooberliberation

What kit did you use?  
================================
"How about this for a headline for tomorrows paper? French fries." ~~ James French, d. 1966 Executed in electric chair in Oklahoma.

Ollie

Wonderful!

Keep it on!

:)  

Svaz

Thanks for the encouragement all. The captured planes look neat. In my universe, this is going to be a production model (lend/lease to the US). I'm using the 1/72 Tamiya since I got it on sale for ~$9 (USD). I nice change from all the older model Eastern European MiG/Sukhoi kits I general mess with (poor fit, little detail, etc.)

Instead of NMF, I'm thinking polished aluminum - a replacement for the stillborne P-51. P-42, maybe?

K5054NZ

I'm likin that P-42! Sharp-looking bird. But it'd be nice to see a Dora B)  or....heavens be praised...a Ta152 :o  :wub:  :wub: ?

Excuse me, major heart palpitations, too much excitement...

Svaz

Here is a little better view but obviously a neophyte's work. Nevertheless I know what I'm shooting for now & I like it!

Tophe

QuoteI'm likin that P-42!
Why P-42? What is the relation with the Curtiss XP-42? (see http://www.samoloty.ow.pl/fot/fot411.jpg ). Maybe a re-used code, like the XP-59 had almost no relation to the P-59...
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

anthonyp

This should look quite nice in model form.  Can't wait to see it!

:cheers:  :cheers:  
I exist to pi$$ others off!!!
My categorized models directory on my site.
My site (currently with no model links).
"Build what YOU like, the way YOU want to." - a wise man

K5054NZ

Damn, I was hoping there was no P-42. OR WAS THERE?????? :lol: This is What If?, after alll.....

WHAT IF Curtiss never designed the XP-42, because the role was fulfilled by the Focke-Wulf P-42, supplied to the Yanks in mid 1942???

Backstory please scalemdlr_svaz, otherwise we'll have to do one for you...

BTW - I love the scheme :wub:  :wub: ! I'll have to do a companion one myself. I'm thinking 190D or Ta152 in Korean War markings....

gooberliberation

I remember seeing a Messerschmitt P-109 in a similar scheme somewhere. I think it was on an alternate history contest on starshipmodeler.com(can't find the link)
================================
"How about this for a headline for tomorrows paper? French fries." ~~ James French, d. 1966 Executed in electric chair in Oklahoma.

Svaz

P-42 Back Story

1933, Weimar Republic (Germany): Tired of political and social instability the people of Germany overwhelmingly elected the monarchists into parliament. Once in power they "liberate" all opposition and place Wilhelm III on the throne of Germany. Wilhelm quickly, if ruthlessly, seeks to bring all of Germany under control. He also tightens economic and military bonds with the Allied powers.

1939, USSR (Russia): Growing fearful of Germany's political, cultural, economic, and military prosperity, Joseph Stalin attacks Germany. The Allied powers offer financial and political support to Germany.

1940: In an attempt to bully the Allies into withdrawing support for Germany, Stalin attacks and occupies Hawaii. Instead of retreating, the U.S. declares war on the USSR. Stalin's forces use Hawaii as a staging area to invade the US mainland. By Nov 1941 the Red Army has control of the entire west coast, Nevada, Arizona, and western New Mexico.

1941: The loss of West Coast manufacturing plants halves the US's war resources. The American President orders that all CONUS manufacturing resources will be used to fight the Soviets on American soil. He also signs the Lend/Lease program that allows the Armed Services to buy European equipment for use in that theater.

1942, 8th Air Force: The loss of the West coast cost the US in terms of creative minds, manufacturing plants, and incomplete prototypes and plans, including those of the NAA XP-51. The CG of the 8th AF decides on the Ta-190 as his primary attack/air superiority plane; the plane is dubbed the P-42 Hammer in US service.

The plane: This A3 model is finished in polished aluminum to save time, cost, and weight. The Hammer is operated by the US in the tens of thousands. This plane is assigned to the 371st Fighter Squadron, 365th Fighter Group. The green band on the fuselage identifies this plane as forward deployed. The aircrew has taken advantage of fate's humorous aircraft identification and christened it, "Easy Money".

---

finally, I can get to working on the model.   :P  

Patrick H

Cool aircraft and nice story B.
Now get building and show us the finished result  ^_^

:cheers:

Patrick
My webpage

The engines spit out fire, I'm pushed back in my chair
The pressure gives me thrills as we climb in the air

K5054NZ