Main Menu
T

Blenheim

Started by The Wooksta!, December 14, 2005, 02:03:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Wooksta!

Whilst the photo is shamelessly stolen from Martin's site (this is what you get for posting pix of my models and not crediting me!), this is my Blenheim PR1.

A Blenheim was acquired by Sydney Cotton's PR squadron in 1940.  The turret was removed and faired over, the wings were clipped, a section of the nose glazing was removed and smothed out, all the panel lines were filled in and smoothed over before the aircraft was given a new coat of paint - the first use of RAF Sky.  Finally, the engines were replaced with slightly uprated Mercuries and given Rotol props.  Faster than most Blenheims, ten more were ordered to be converted - however, no one knows if they actually were.

So, this "grey" area is where my model sits.  A simple conversion from the old Frog Blenheim I.  Fill in the turret with scrap plastic and filler.  Chop off and reshape the wingtips then once it's together, sand off all the panel lines.  Fit the canopy and then fill in all the lower glazing and sand smooth.  I did add a little extra detail to the engines - them funny intake pipes that appear in all the photos yet Frog mysteriously ignored.  I couldn't get the right props (although Spitfire Rotol props would be okay and I may yet replace them) so just kept the kit props.

I went for PRU Blue for the colour, because I wanted an aircraft still in service a few years later and I wanted to try the Xtracrylic.  Markings came from a variety of sources and the serial code was from the Frog Blenheim If - it's meant to be a converted aircraft after all.

Leigh

Love the model, but it really is a bloody ugly aircraft. Kinda looking at it and thinking "hmmm transport version" with window down the side.

Question, if your'e gonna have a P.R. plane why would they fill in the lower glazing? Wouldn't that be a good place to take pics from?

I invite all and any criticism, except about Eric The Dog, it's not his fault he's stupid

Leigh's Models

The Rat

Quote... it's meant to be a converted aircraft after all.
And a very nice one it is too. Should have the rivet counters scratching their collective heads.  
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Leigh, I think the original - before the RAF bought the idea - was proposed as a high-speed mail-plane. If - and i do mean IF - my memory is still working, then I think that prototype had windows along the side.... I'm sure one of the guys will correct me if I'm wrong ! :dum:

I H-G
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

Martin H

funny u should say that about credits Lee...page 2 of the telford pics........

credited pic

the one u have posted is a lot futher in the pack....and im slowly working my way throu em. bare in mind theres nine pages of photos...and ive only got so much time to my self to deal with it.
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

Geoff_B

QuoteWhilst the photo is shamelessly stolen from Martin's site (this is what you get for posting pix of my models and not crediting me!), this is my Blenheim PR1.

FCUK that at least i got some bleedin photots done whilst your were still stuffing yer face with Breakfast !!! - I never got chance to note the names & details as i was on duty before i could get down to the nitty gritty  :D .

G

Martin H

QuoteMy memory is long and I can hold grudges for years...
Wot?  just like your hair was back then?  :P

Be patient grass hopper....the credits will be updated in due course. ;)

I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

K5054NZ

:lol:

Great build Lee. BTW whose is the Horten flying wing beyond?

nev

Very nice :)

And its a brave pilot who would have flown an unarmed Blenheim over occupied Europe...  :unsure:  
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

NARSES2

There were some interesting conversations with the punters at Telford re that model - had a lot guessin, just as Lee likes.

And the mail plane thing was "Brittan First" that Lord Northcote paid for

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

cthulhu77

Interesting...it is neat in an ugly way, sort of like an A-10 or a JU-87.  Can definitely see the "mail plane" reference...

Patrick H

Looking pretty good for a Blenheim that is  :D

Ian, you're correct about the Blenheim originaly having those side windows. But the aurcraft was nod destined for mailtransport.
It originaly was designed as a fast, twin engined private aeroplane to transport reporters anywhere in Europeso so they could beat the competition in getting the news quicker then the rest. Ordered by Viscount Rothermere, proprietor of the Daily Mail Group in 1934. That aircraft had 3 windows on each side and could carry 6 passengers. Wasn't called the Blenheim then either but the Bristol Aeroplane company Type 142, named "Britain First" by Rothermere.
I Have a picture of the aircraft somewhere but unfortunately my scanner isn't working annymore. Maybe someone else has one?

:cheers:

Patrick
My webpage

The engines spit out fire, I'm pushed back in my chair
The pressure gives me thrills as we climb in the air

K5054NZ

In a town down south...coincidentally named Blenheim...a group are attempting to buy a Bolingbroke from the US, bring it to NZ and restore it to fly as a memorial to those Kiwi fliers killed flying them in the war.

The project's called "Blenheim For Blenheim". Great cause, although currently only about $15k of $100k needed have been raised. Bugger.

The Rat

QuoteI Have a picture of the aircraft somewhere but unfortunately my scanner isn't working annymore. Maybe someone else has one?

:cheers:

Patrick
Like this?

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

K5054NZ

I'd love to see a model of the Type 142. Very pretty plane, Britain First. Way too cool.