Beefed Up Vega in 1/144

Started by Brian da Basher, December 15, 2005, 05:59:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian da Basher

Here's a beefed-up 1/144 Lockheed Vega I bashed from the 1/144 Minicraft Grumman Avenger (man is that kit great meat for bashing!). The tail was cut from a spare piece of styrene and the cockpit glazing was fashioned from various clear bits. The wheel spats were stolen from a 1/172 Glencoe Martin MB-1 believe it or not. The decals were leftovers from the 1/60ish Glencoe Curtiss Condor and the whole thing was brush-painted. The backstory is that Lockheed enlarged their famous Vega to carry more freight and passengers, but the truth is I was just a bit off on this one. Still I like the look and no one I know of makes an injected Vega in 1/144...yet.

Brian da Basher

The Rat

MAN, you're a productive little bugger, ain't ya?  :P

And another subject that most people would never think of. Well done!  ;)  
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

K5054NZ

Cool. Ever thought of doing a Lockheed Altair? Ie, Kingsford Smith's aircraft VH-USB?

Brian da Basher

That's a great idea Zac! Maybe next time I have a spare 1/144 Avenger laying around...not sure where I'd come up with the markings though.

Brian da Basher

K5054NZ

Well all you need is 4 regos and a fuselage cheatline. I can get some pics from a Kingsford-Smith biography if you like?

Brian da Basher

Would this be the one in question Zac?
Love that Altair!

Brian da Basher

P.S. Maybe I can afford to add the Avenger to my next Squadron order that will include the 1/144 B-36 and Lockheed Electra turboprop for my B-36 airliner project...

K5054NZ

Yup, that's the one. A real looker ain't she! :wub:  :wub: I'd love to know where Smithy and Tommy Pethybridge went....sigh, damn disappearing acts  :(  :unsure: ...

John Howling Mouse

Are you freakin' serious: those decals at that scale?
Incredible!  Do you use magnifying glasses or a loupe or just the optical receptors God gave you?

You should dust that little baby off and give us another picture from a different angle (um, please)!
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

K5054NZ

Bazza, we've just got to deal with the fact that we are in the presence of a 1/144 modelling master, pure and simple.

I would never have thought of converting an Avenger into a Vega! I mean COME ON!!!!

Brian da Basher

It's nice to see someone appreciates these things besides me. My friends think I'm nuts spending so much time on models that never look like the ones on the box.  I did something I never do, which is take down a part of my cieling fleet. Here's another shot of the 1/144 Vega. The decals were indeed from the 1/144 Glencoe Curtiss Condor. I used only my Mk. I eyeball and the glasses I wear everyday so maybe it's a good thing I'm near-sighted. I felt so lucky the AA logo fit on the tail. It might not be historically accurate, but it seemed so right. The cool lightningbolt cheat lines and spat markings are from the same decal set.

Brian da Basher

Brian da Basher

Here's another shot. Please pardon the strings and thumbtack. That's how I display my models since I live in a tiny cottage with very little room for display space. I've had girlfriends offer to paint clouds on my cieling but they never seem to stick around long enough to carry it through.

Brian da Basher

P.S. It's funny, but some of these pics are larger than the genuine article!

Brian da Basher

Here's one more shot. Did I mention the window and door decals were swiped from the 1/144 Minicraft C-90 and cut to size? That cute little tailskid was scratched from the spares box.

Brian da Basher

Brian da Basher

I think I'm getting a little better with this camera. I'm hoping to be able to take good pics of my Secret Santa project when I finish it. Here's the last shot of the Beefed Up Vega. I neglected to tell you that I covered the hole in the fuse back of the wing with leftover plastic from a pack of batteries. I was very happy how it all blended in. The cockpit glazing was a real test of trial and error. I think I made three attempts before I got something I was satisfied with. Still, it's not quite as racy as the original Vega, but as they say, "close enough for gov't work".

Brian da Basher

John Howling Mouse

Wow, thanks, Brian.

Glad you pointed out those spat markings: incredible!

I can't believe what you are capable of at this scale.  I think I am going to have to dream up a particular ashallonge for your consideration.  Something in 1:144 that I think only you could pull off.

It may in fact involve using 0.01 mm Waldron instruments and you may be requested to superdetail an engine as well as a complete interior, but I believe you will be able to accomplish it!

Amazing.
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

The Rat

Brian, could you give me the specifics on your camera? I might be able to help you with its use.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr