K

Real World alert!

Started by K5054NZ, December 20, 2005, 03:42:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cthulhu77

Looking good !  In addition to the Rat's excellent advice:

no caffeine

K5054NZ

Thanks both of you, but unfortunately I have no idea where our masking tape is (I was cursing very loudly because of that, hope I didn't worry Ms K5054NZ too much) and the tape used for the belts is cellotape, highly sticky and likely to tear off the four or so layers of white on the tail. Or anywhere, for that matter.

But again, thanks for your advice. I'll keep you updated.

John Howling Mouse

Holy hanna but that is small, eh?!  Very nice.  I would still obtain some masking tape for your red stripe's outer edges.  You've done such a nice job so far that I'd say your helo deserves the finishing touch.

Hey, I just thought of something: would electrical tape work to mask areas for painting, especially on compound curves????
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

Brian da Basher

That's coming along very nicely Zac! After the experience of brushpainting that 42 racer, I bet your hand is less shaky than you think!

Brian da Basher

P.S. I've heard Post-It Notes™ are good for masking in a pinch. I "liberated" a few from work just for that very purpose.  

K5054NZ

"Holy Hanna", I like that!

I'll keep Post-Its in mind Bri, thanks. And Baz, I'm wanting to ignore the little bird for the time being just because it really p*ssed me off with that shaky hand syndrome. BUT, my guy in the States has sent my custom decals for it. Can't wait!

Tophe

QuoteEnjoy, whiffers!
Deep enjoyment... :wub:  
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Captain Canada

Beauty ! Great job on such a wee bird.

Rat...isn't practise spelled with a c around these parts ?

:P

And Baz, electrical tape leaves alot of residue...but it works great if you're masking outdoors !

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

The Rat

QuoteRat...isn't practise spelled with a c around these parts ?
Of course it is, everybody knows that!

(Man, I love that 'edit' feature.  ^_^ )
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

K5054NZ

Anyway, I'm working on touching up the red with white (tidying it up) and painting the tail rotor, Had to reattach the warped left skid because it was slipping. It'll always be wonky, but I don't mind. I'm going to try and track down the pilot so I can send him pics when its complete. More pics when progress is major and visible.

BTW anyone got a canopy mask for her?

John Howling Mouse

QuoteAnd Baz, electrical tape leaves alot of residue...but it works great if you're masking outdoors !
You're freakin' me out, Todd.  Ms. Hitler just said the same thing to me half an hour ago when I mentioned the idea of electrical tape for masking!

:wacko:  
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

K5054NZ

As promised, here's more progress. Canopy painted (AAAAAAAAAARGH) and tail rotor on, main rotor all painted and dry-fitted. Imagine this is how she looked coming out of the Hughes factory before delivery.

A closer look. This is my first real attempt at "superdetailing".

More pics when the decals have arrived and are on or the netgun is ready....whichever comes first.

Will spend tomorrow assembling the scratchbuilt "gotcha gun".

K5054NZ

UPDATE

The gotcha-gun itself is drying, I need to mix up some orange for the net canister, one strut is drying (aaaargh......there are three struts which will be made up of five bits, plus two miniscule parts to be "springs" under the gun  :wacko: ) and I'm awaiting the decals from the US.

Used a hot pin to make a hole for a step on the right/starboard side. Many, many kits have donated parts for this one build which, when complete, will be only about 12cm long. Wow.

And I am so very, very proud of this build. My best yet, perhaps second only to Spitfire K5054. I feel I have really pushed myself with this one. Trials, tribulations and more. When complete I'm going to have an A380-sized sigh of relief and probably sob a little.

I think a Modeling Madness review is in order. B)  

K5054NZ

Okay, the netgun itself will be attached to the struts today, then I'll post pics. Or a pic. I dunno yet. I would say that means its structurally complete, but I still need to put a small (ie 5mm long) antenna housing and cargo hook on the underbelly.

Fingers crossed and God willing, my decals will arrive within three days, so the my labour of love wil be complete.

I just wanna say that this build has been the most important to me of any I've ever done. I grew up watching footage of this chopper, I;ve loved the 500C practically since birth (the D fans can go screw themselves as far as I'm concerned, never really liked that T-tail, sorry Baz!) and I've always wanted one....now I have a replica (albeit 72 times smaller) but to me it's more than a model. B)

So I'm sorry for flaunting a "real world" build, but I want to share it with the best modellers I know.

Brian da Basher

Looking good Zac! I can't wait to see new pics! I know what you say about it being more than a model. Sometimes a certain build is a little piece of your life.

Brian da Basher

K5054NZ

Well yeah, that's right! Ms K5054NZ thinks "he" is looking great. I'm working on a backstory for my Skyhawk replacement (DELTA CANAAAAAAARD!!!!!) at the mo but the netgun should be on within the hour.

Stay Tuned!