Hasegawa VF-0 Macross Zero Fighter

Started by SebastianP, December 27, 2005, 05:52:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SebastianP

So, the kit arrived on the 23rd, and as per usual, the box contents were spread out all over my desk pretty much immediately. (As were the two kits I'd boiught at the shop the same day, but I digress). Got far enough with the sub-assemblies yesterday to get some sense of how big it would turn out - and Sweet Jesus, is this thing HUGE!

It dwarfs most of my present collection - the only things still bigger in one way or another is the Su-27 and the CH-53E, since the VF-0 is nearly an inch longer and wider than the Tomcat with the wings extended. The exhausts are nearly big enough to walk into, when opened - although there's probably some kínd of anime pseudophysics involved in locating the engines, since there landing gear bays are pretty deep and stick right up into the engine area.

I also got some serious "whoa" moments out of placing my half-finished Tornado, a Tomcat and the VF-0 side by side. The Tornado is tiny in comparison. (I'm looking forward to seeing how the VF-1 and its derivatives relate in size to the Tornado...)

As to the third kit I've started this Christmas, it's doing pretty well - the Mitsubishi F-2A is presently VERY blue, and really only needs a noseweight, the green camo paint, and its decals and ordnance to complete it. It was pretty cool to see the paralels between the F-16/F-2, and the Hornet/Super Hornet - except for the new intakes on the Super Hornet, they made nearly exactly the same kinds of mods for the F-2 - both in real life, and in kit form....

SP

CanisD

One could always have the VF-0 in "real world" paint and markings...a Whiffy Sciffy? :) A JASDF or USN Veritech would look rather spiffy IMHO.
"If you want to have dinner with the Devil, make sure to bring a long spoon!"
Wolf's Shipyard
Wolf's Shipyard Forum

The Rat

Um, excuse me...

[size=8]If I could make a suggestion...[/size]

Maple Leaf roundels..

"Stop hitting me Mr. Fawlty! Always you are hitting me!"
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

CanisD

"If you want to have dinner with the Devil, make sure to bring a long spoon!"
Wolf's Shipyard
Wolf's Shipyard Forum

Radish

Oh baby, I just LOVE the artwork!!!

WOWEEEEEE :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

Damian2

Thanx for that awesome link Canis!!! Got some great ideas for my Y/VF-19s and the VF-0B
Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try.

SebastianP

More progress info - still no photos, though (effing camera)

Aside from some pretty poorly placed sprue attachment points, which were a royal female dog to clean up, the kit is an absolute dream to build. It pretty much has to be, though, since the nature of the subject pretty much mandates that it be built and painted as sub-assemblies. You simply can't build first and paint later.

The kit itself is molded in, horror of horrors, bright white plastic for the most part. There's at least one sprue that was off-white, for some reason, though, and the *special* stuff for this release - the stores and booster/drone - were on their own light gray sprues.

I have once again been reminded why I hate white, both plastic and paint: One, I'm on my third brushed on coat of light ghost gray for the underside, and the plastic is still shining through; and two every time I finally get a tin of white paint to as stage where it no longer takes five coats to paint the gear and bays, it turns yellow on me. It was *really* noticable this time around too, with the white plastic underneath and around it.

Also, one of the kit decal schemes is suspect - both aircraft in the show that were modified as per the kit had the hi-viz scheme with very light gray airframes, black fins and Jolly Rogers. In fact, I think they were both S models, rather than an A and an S. Still, I'm building it as an A in the Low-viz scheme, just because - I'm considering stealing some squadron markings from my F/A-18E kit, since the kit lacks those. OR, I might just do a darker version of the Skull Leader scheme. Still haven't decided.

Oh, and on the topic of crazy Japanese - who in their right minds place the underwing roundels so the stores pylons are attached in the middle of them? That's just too weird...

SP

noxioux

Damn.  That stupid web link just gave me a serious jones for a couple of YF-19 and YF-21 kits.  I loved Macross Plus anyway.  I'd almost pick up the VF-0 kit for the ghost alone.

I wish they'd do those things in 1/48, too.

The best idea for white is to spray it.  Just go get a can of krylon.  Honestly, it works like a charm.  If you're brushing anything but small bits with white, you're wasting your time and sanity.

SimonR

QuoteOne could always have the VF-0 in "real world" paint and markings...a Whiffy Sciffy? :) A JASDF or USN Veritech would look rather spiffy IMHO.
Indeed, what if the JSF gets cancelled?

Simon

This is the curse of speed;  I have been a slave to it all my life. On my gravestone they will carve 'It never got fast enough for me'.
Hunter S. Thompson

cthulhu77

Very cool...much prettier than the JSF too !

lancer

Oh that does look veeeeeeeery nice. I'll bet it performs well
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

Radish

Glorious! Just GLORIOUS!!

Or should I say(in the words of a famous witch!), "Rejoice, rejoice!" :P  
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

Scooterman

BlackOps

Very nice Simon!  Very nice indeed.

I keep thinking Japanese markings for mine but it seems no matter what scheme you use the Macross kits really look great.

Jeff G.
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

K5054NZ

That RN one looks cool! I need to find me one now!