Saab Gripen

Started by Supertom, August 26, 2005, 10:23:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

elmayerle

With that proviso, i'll agree with you, PD7, the Grippen is what the F-20 should ahve been.  *chuckle* Actually, it comes damn close to one of the proposed F-20/Lavi hybrids that was studied as a joint program 'twwen Northrop and IAI with the intent of reducing the cost of the Lavi.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

PolluxDeltaSeven

Quotethe Grippen is what the F-20 should ahve been.
Exactly!! That's the right formula! I didn't remember how to say that in English, sorry for the mistake.

QuoteActually, it comes damn close to one of the proposed F-20/Lavi hybrids that was studied as a joint program 'twwen Northrop and IAI with the intent of reducing the cost of the Lavi.
Hum... I never heard about that. But it gives me an idea!
What about a variant of the Gripen developed with... Israel??

I always loved what the Israelis did (or planed to do) to their Mirage and Phantom derivatives, so why not a Gripen one!! Only for the desert camo and the cool Python missiles!! :wub:  
"laissez mes armées être les rochers et les arbres et les oiseaux dans le ciel"
-Charlemagne-

Coming Soon in Alternate History:
-Battlefleet Galactica
-Republic of Libertalia: a modern Pirate Story

dy031101

QuotePD7, I'd be tempted to call the T-50, esp. if they do a single-seat variant, the F-20 ofthe 21st century since so bloody many of its systems trace back to the F-20 (engine, radar/fire control, etc.).
Actually the Taiwanese F-CK-1 should probably be the first one to bear the title.

But then of course, T-50 fits the title even better.

There was a plan for mating F-20/Lavi hybrid?  That gets the imagination going!  :cheers:  
To the individual soldiers, *everything* is a frontal assault!

====================

Current Hobby Priority...... Sigh......

To-do list here

dy031101

I remember seeing on an ancient issue of Air International (or was it Air Force Monthly?) magazine a JAS-39 article that had a line drawing showing the evolution of JAS-39's configuration (before it became the tailless deltawings with canards that we all know).

Does anyone have drawings showing those proposed configurations?

====================

To-do list here

Spey_Phantom

instead of starting a new topic, i looked up this old gripen topic.
this idea him me at work today  :rolleyes:
wonder if there was an alternative to the harrier, F-35 and YAK141

with the F-35 Lightning II development now under fire, particulary from british side, why not transfer the STOVL technology of the F-35 and build it into the Gripen.
the gripen has proven to be a nice agile fighter with many possibilities.
so i wanted to tranfer the F-135 STOVL/lift fan engine into a JAS-39C/D gripen (the newer gripen NG would be to heavy)

then the design i came up with was the JAS-39V Verti-Gripen.
i think these could equip the carriers of the Royal Navy and maybe even encourage the Swedish Navy to aquire a carrier, maybe buy off the RN's Illustrious as she is currently kept in reserve  :rolleyes:
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

elmayerle

*chuckle* Nils. both Lockheed-Martin and Yakolev found that a back-hinged door for the lift-fan/lift-engines works better (that's one of the most noticeable differences between the X-35B and the F-35B).  You'd have some "interesting" changes setting up lift fans like the F-35B uses since that uses a shaft-driven lift-fan that is driven by the engine directly (in some ways, it's an extreme form of the driveshaft for the AMAD gearboxes most modern combat aircraft are fitted with).
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

dy031101

In a past thread regarding the BAe P.112, you mentioned a "'three-poster' with PCB" arrangement as the simplest VSTOL engine installation.

(And I figure that a VSTOL JAS-39 might be viewed as a revival of BAe P.112......)

Two questions:

1. would you describe this "'three-poster' with PCB" arrangement?

2. is comparison between the "'three-poster' with PCB" arrangement and the one adopted by F-35B possible?

====================

To-do list here

Hobbes

Quote from: dy031101 on November 07, 2008, 12:55:59 PM
In a past thread regarding the BAe P.112, you mentioned a "'three-poster' with PCB" arrangement as the simplest VSTOL engine installation.

(And I figure that a VSTOL JAS-39 might be viewed as a revival of BAe P.112......)

Two questions:

1. would you describe this "'three-poster' with PCB" arrangement?

2. is comparison between the "'three-poster' with PCB" arrangement and the one adopted by F-35B possible?

Imagine an RR Pegasus with a single central nozzle at the rear instead of the split exhaust. PCB=Plenum Chamber burning, i.e. afterburning in the nozzles.

This arrangement was planned for the Hawker P.1214 and P.1216 projects:

GTX

Speaking of Gripens, here is a nice Indian Gripen rendering I was sent today:

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

dy031101

Quote from: Hobbes on November 07, 2008, 01:33:09 PM
Imagine an RR Pegasus with a single central nozzle at the rear instead of the split exhaust. PCB=Plenum Chamber burning, i.e. afterburning in the nozzles.

Actually, if such a scheme is to be implemented in a Gripen...... would the engine have looked like the one used by X-32?

====================

To-do list here

Amphion

Here's the latest list of potential Gripen buyers and those who, to this date, has signed up:

Fighter procurement processes where Saab is involved
Switzerland: Proposal handed in, July 2008
The Netherlands: Saab invited to participate in the procurement process, August 2008
Brazil: Gripen chosen as one of three candidates, October 2008
Denmark: Binding proposal handed in, November 2007
India: Binding proposal handed in, April 2008
Romania: Binding proposal handed in, 2008
Bulgaria: A proposal is being prepared
Croatia: A proposal is being prepared

Countries who have chosen Gripen
Sweden
South Africa
Czech Republic
Thailand
Hungary
Amphion

GTX

Some more Indian Gripen renderings:

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

ysi_maniac

Will die without understanding this world.

dy031101

====================

To-do list here

Scooterman

NaoH just sent me this pic.  Dunno where from, but this is too cool not to post.  Plus it's in the sexiest scheme ever.

Now if somebody would just make a conversion for the NG. :banghead:

(edit: thanks to the mod who moved this here.  I was tried when I first posted it!!!)