F-21 Piranha

Started by Shasper, January 11, 2006, 03:10:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shasper

Sorry guys, no pics yet (hopefully I can when I go to see the misses this wkend {My camera's back in the shop  :( ), but I have started work using the excellent Revell 1/100 F-21 (which isnt a F-21, but a Kfir C.2, denoted by the biga$$ winglets!), based on This thread. I've got the whole thing together except for the intakes and stores, added the dorsal hump by using half a droptank from a /100 tamiya F-4E, wingtip rails from a testors diecast F-14. I had to re-profile the dorsal airscoop because of the hump (looks doable), and i'm ditching 1 of the DEFA cannons for an extra ammo box.

I'm thinking that the engine choices would be either the GE J-79 (in it's -17X form w/ Combat Plus feature) or the F404. Since from what I dug up on Google there really isnt a major difference between the 2 dimension wise, that I could drop either one in w/no difficulties. But now I dont know which one I want to use.

Maybe our resident aeroengineer(s) can help me? :P

Shas B)  
Take Care, Stay Cool & Remember to "Check-6"
- Bud S.

K5054NZ

Whatever you do Shas, I'm gonna love it! And I know I wouldn't be the only one.

Good Luck with the build and keep us posted.

Shasper

Well folks she's almost there (and fitting of her name too I might add), should be ready for paint next week. I'll get pics when I go down to see my photographer this wkend. ;)

Shas B)  
- Bud S.

K5054NZ

Shasper

After setting up over on photobucket, I managed to hijack a British spysatellite (hence the grainyness of the pics) for a reccerun.

Pic 1.

Note the dorsal spine (reminiscent of later MiG-21's) and the reshaped canards (like the Swiss Mirages)

Pic 2.

Planform view, note the outward kink of the wingtiprails, shape of the canards & ouline of the spine

Pic 3.

Note the new dorsal airscoop for the engine.

hopefuly will get this bird painted up & loaded-out before the end of the month & get my camrea back from refurb  <_< )

Shas B)  
- Bud S.

Shasper

Decided on a 3-tone desert camo with the kit's decals being used (thats right folks, the demo bird will be in Whiff {for that timeframe ;), IEFX ended in '84, USN didnt get their F-21s until '85, USMC got theirs in '87 } USMC adversary markings!)

Might drop in that 404 in the back, but still thinking about it. Load will be a pair of smokewinders on the wingtips, droptanks-pig iron-AAMs under the wings, not sure if I'm gonna add a centerline store yet (stole the kits centerline tank for a anti-ship munition thingy for the F-4T thats next in line.)

Shas B)  
- Bud S.

cthulhu77

Very cool...the blurry pics just make it look like someone took them in secret anyway...

K5054NZ

:wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub: DELTA CANAAAAAARD!!!!

Wicked brilliant and awesome stuff, Shas!

Brian da Basher

Wow Shas-your stuff is so good the spy satellites are taking pics!

That's gonna be one awesome bird there. Please keep us posted.

Brian da Basher

Shasper

It's getting there, should be ready for another recce run Sat. Deciided to drop the 404 for the PW1120 that would've been installed in the Lavi (If the timing works out).Dropped in a set of LEXs (even thou they aint connected to the wings  :huh: ).  Also started work on the F-4T (Tamiya 1/100 F-4EJ base kit).

Shas B)
- Bud S.

Shasper

Well, against my intentions the camo came out looking very Israeli, I sanded off the nose strakes & re contured the radome up a bit, added a few antennias and found the other ventral strake I'm gonna add. wont be decaled by this wkend but I'll get w/my photographer again for another shoot.

Shas B)  
- Bud S.

K5054NZ

Wicked, Shas, can't wait!

Shasper

Both kits are comming along (sorry no pics yet, wx was Scottish at best this wkend and not very good for pic taking :( .), just a few touch-ups paint wise and the Piranha will be ready for future and decaling. I'm going to sub the bang seat from a Testors diecast F-18 in for the kit seat (Who'd ever though it was possible to get aftermarket for these guys? :lol: ).

F-4T: Camo'ed up, just needs a bit of touch-up paint then it'll be ready for decalin' too. Also subbin a new bangseat (from a samescale F-14) for the kits version. Looking into making a centerline weaps palate out of a pair of F-14 Phoenix palates.

Shas B)  
- Bud S.

Shasper

Dropped the canopy into the future vat between classes, got the bang seat painted & installed, should get the arms painted & the model futured (hopefuly) tomorrow.

Shas B)  
- Bud S.

K5054NZ