Main Menu

USCG HF-4J

Started by anthonyp, January 13, 2006, 02:35:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anthonyp

Here's the last of my Fujimi F-4J's.  I previewed this one a month back, but it was only decalled and had no stores.  This was just a fun build.

Backstory:

In the early 1990's, the USCG was in the midst of a stepped up campaign by South American drug runners to get their stuff to US shores.  The proposal for USCG carriers was stuck in congress, but USCG personel were being attacked, and something needed to be done.  In 1993, a decision was made by the Pentagon to assist the USCG by bringing some old fighters out of mothballs for use as interdictors.  

Since most smugglers didn't have fighter planes, older tech planes could be made available.  Some F-4's that had recently been retired were chosen to for conversion.  The planes (F-4J's, F-4N's and F-4S's) underwent reactivation and modification.  The old ability to fire Falcon air-to-air missiles was reactivated, the AIM-7 capability removed, and a new search radar installed in the nose.  AGM-65 capabilities were also integrated for use against smugglers using boats.  A total of either six Mavericks, six Falcons, or three of each could be carried by the HF-4's.

The USCG could not just have a totally offense minded plane, though.  The forward missile wells were modified to take various search pods and surveillance equipment.  The below example is equipped with a LANTIRN pod for Maverick targeting, and a modified Pave Spike for surface search.  The aft missile wells could also carry search pods, camera pods, or small diameter raft pods, but they were usually left empty.  The below example is shown with disaster raft pods, for use when a large ship is stricken, and inflatable rafts need to be delivered quickly.  A total of four can be carried if needed.

The below example is in a typical heavy anti-drug patrol configuration.  It carries a mix of air-to-air and air-to-surface missiles, and two large raft pods, for use in rescuing the pilots and boatmen the plane encounters.  This plane, an HF-4J, flies out of CGAS Key West.  Key West's HF-4 detachment consists of 4 HF-4J's, 4 HF-4N's, and 8 HF-4S's.  Four HRF-4B rescue/recon planes rotate in and out of CGAS Key West on a regular basis.

A unique feature of the HF-4 series is that they still retain their full carrier capabilities, and have deployed to carriers for training and deployment, though only rarely.  A total of six squadrons of HF-4's patrol the skies over US shores.
I exist to pi$$ others off!!!
My categorized models directory on my site.
My site (currently with no model links).
"Build what YOU like, the way YOU want to." - a wise man

anthonyp

anthonyp

getting ready to refuel

anthonyp

anthonyp

underside showing the ordinance and heavy rescue pods.

SimonR

That's really nice! It almost make me overcome my longstanding emnity against the F-4.
Simon

This is the curse of speed;  I have been a slave to it all my life. On my gravestone they will carve 'It never got fast enough for me'.
Hunter S. Thompson

gooberliberation

Forgetting my triservice prefixes, I took a look at "HF-4J" and thought.... Oh god, he made it into a helicopter, didnt he. :lol:

Now there's an idea!

Nice planes anyway! I could imagine these being featured on Miami Vice :ar:  
================================
"How about this for a headline for tomorrows paper? French fries." ~~ James French, d. 1966 Executed in electric chair in Oklahoma.

Captain Canada

Wicked cool, Anthony !

Love the idea of it being on a carrier....and what did you use to make your rescue pods ? I like 'em !

:wub:  
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Brian da Basher

Wow Anthony that one's a real show-stopper! I don't think I've ever seen a better looking F-4! Great backstory too!

Brian da Basher

CanisD

Semper Paratus! Even if they are hand-me-downs. *grumblegrumblegrumble*  :)
Now, haw about an HF-14D?
"If you want to have dinner with the Devil, make sure to bring a long spoon!"
Wolf's Shipyard
Wolf's Shipyard Forum

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Just come on-watch (0700-1900) and showed it to the lads..... they haven't stopped talking 'bout it. I hadn't the heart to tell them this is a WHAT IF site !  :ph34r:

I H-G
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

NARSES2

Terrific paintwork Anthony

Chris
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

anthonyp

Thanks, guys!  This thing was just a really fun, inspired build.  If anyone wants, come nicer weather, I'll take some better pics of it.  My camera doesn't like to work well inside.

Toad, the "disaster pods" are old 1/72 TARPS pods from AMT F-14's.  I cut the pylon off of them, and was going to use them on my EA-10H, but they looked too much like floatation devices on that plane.

Ian, you should show this and my MH-72 to them.  That should keep them talking for a few days  :lol:

:cheers:  :cheers:  

devil505

Beautiful paint scheme!!

How about an A-4? :cheers:  
Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory..Lasts forever.

Dork the kit slayer

Very nice...very tastefull.....Red over white...must ahve been a painting nightmare.

:P  :P  
Im pink therefore Im Spam...and not allowed out without an adult    

http://plasticnostalgia.blogspot.co.uk/