Main Menu

SuperHog

Started by Eddie M., January 13, 2006, 08:33:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

overscan

Have you considered using three engines, in a kind of "Tristar" arrangement?

I think that could look very cool.
Paul Martell-Mead / Overscan
"What if?" addict

Eddie M.

QuoteHave you considered using three engines, in a kind of "Tristar" arrangement?

I think that could look very cool.
That is a good idea, but I'm past the point of no return in some areas of design. :)
I do have a three engine fighter I started a long time ago called the scrambled fighter. I might have to bring that one out soon.... :)
    Eddie

Look behind you!

overscan

I was wondering if you could mount the engines in front of the wings, An-72 style with the exhausts using Upper Surface Blowing for ultra-short-takeoffs. Trouble is, you'd need a whole lot of weight at the back to compensate!  
"What if?" addict

lancer

Oh yeah, love the new tail configuration.  
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

Eddie M.

QuoteI was wondering if you could mount the engines in front of the wings, An-72 style with the exhausts using Upper Surface Blowing for ultra-short-takeoffs. Trouble is, you'd need a whole lot of weight at the back to compensate!
Where do you come up with the cool designs, and give them away for free! ;)  :lol: At first I wanted to put 2 of the engines in the wing root, I had to remember, this had to have two guns. As with the real deal, I built this aircraft around what I thought, would be two guns on board. The sponsons where added to hold the ammo drums. On the other hand, ask anyone here, my build do change a bit on the way to being finished. :P  :)  
   Eddie
Look behind you!

overscan

If it looks a bit nose-heavy, due to the sponsons, you might consider a couple of small canards up front to compensate for the weight of the guns...
"What if?" addict

kitnut617

Well Eddie I'm new here so I've only just got to see this.  The evolution is nothing short of amazing, but I'll have to go along with one of the other guys, it'll have to have a tee tail.

One pic of the twin 30's and a vivid picture flashed into my mind, ---  Jim Carrey in the Mask   :lol:  
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Brian da Basher

My vote's for the T-tail. THat way the tail is out of the way of the exhaust efflux of those four engines.

Looking good, Mr Miller!  B)

Brian da Basher

elmayerle

QuoteI have a "situation." ;) I don't think the planned elevators have enought area to control this monster, sooooooo I decide to try something different. I thought this new tail might give it more area and give it that next generation look. What to do,..what to do..... :rolleyes:
    Eddie

IMHO, the V-tail with horizontals is getting there, but you might need a bit more.  How about a V-T tail with the horizontal tail crossing the entire distance between the tips of the "V" as well as extending beyond the "V" as you've depicted.  That would be the most "whiffy" approach; the more conservative approach would be to add the tails from yet another A-10 to your three-vertical configuration with the outer-most verticals outside the flow from the outboard engines and the horizontal low enough that only the fan bypass flow impinged on it (though I could see some careful positioning to get a bit of USB effect for low-speed hadnling purposes).
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

John Howling Mouse

T-Tail?  Why would anybody ever want a friggin' T-Tail?!?!   <_<

Signed,

MHJ (the anti-Mouse).
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

Eddie M.

Thanks for the advice Evan. :) I'll see what I can work up. ^_^

I took the rest of an old Russian molded 707 and fashioned fade into the tail. Version 2 tomorrow.

The Anti Mouse! That was scary......very scary( You Cannucks recognize my Count impression?) ;)  :lol:
   Eddie

Look behind you!

nev

Cool  B)

Its looking more and more sci-fi every day Eddie  :wub:  
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Eddie M.

Another incarnation of the tail. Hopefully I'll find one that suits my taste soon. <_<
  Eddie

Look behind you!

Brian da Basher

Hmmmm I think I like the last incarnation best so far Eddie. Not sure about the ends being canted down like that but I'm a bit of a traditionalist.  :lol:

Brian da Basher

Mossie

Meaty!  Good stuff Eddie, how about mounting an anhedral tail fuselage, with a soft gullwing, to mirror image the wings?  A standard vertical tail might look good with it, or none at all?

Simon.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.