Main Menu

SuperHog

Started by Eddie M., January 13, 2006, 08:33:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nev

The only colour scheme for an A-10 is Euro 1, all others are pale imitations of the real thing  :wub:  
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

datguy

Well, Eddie, the new tail is cool, but can't survive even one over-flared landing.  

What about a big whomping single tail fin with the horizontal stabs above the engines or (dare I say it?) a T-tail.  In my mind's eye I see something like the XP-87, F-89 or F3D.  That would give it a cool retro look instead of the SciFi bent tail, and might help with the CoG issues.

I'd definitely beef up the landing gear, and keep up the "doubled" theme there.  Twin wheels on the nose gear, and maybe Viggen style tandem mains - or even bomber style quads to spread the weight of that weapons load?

I really like SebastianP's idea of a radome in one of the superfluous main gear pods and a FLIR/Laser designator in the other one.

DG

Eddie M.

I like your ideas about the tail and may try some of them. I was sticking with the A-10 tail to keep a familiarity to it. You're right about the flare landing. I could always make it a VSTOL. :lol:

The beefed up gear was always my intention. Making the wells is another matter. <_<

Which brings me to an interesting find. I bought another Deremel tool and these are the places where the accessories were packed. I see a nose gear wheel well and two recessed gun positions. :) Plastic packaging will never look the same. :ph34r:  B)
    Eddie
Look behind you!

BlackOps

Eddie, that is going to be one bad mutha!  I think you should change the name to Thunderhog because it's going to create some noise :)

I also like the adjustments you made to the tail.

Jeff G.  
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

datguy

The beefed up gear was always my intention. Making the wells is another matter. <_<

If you widen the pod, a conventional twin-wheel main gear (a la Jaguar or Mirage F1) would work, especially since the wheels don't have to go all the way in on an A-10.  The Viggen tandem option works if you lengthen, rather than widen the pod.

The twin nose wheels shouldn't be a problem if the nosegear leg is centered and retracts backwards.  That also makes room for both GAU-8s up front.  A chubby-cheeked bulge on each side for the gun's ammo would be cool - like the camera bulges on an RF-86F or possibly the "Sabrinas" on a Hunter.

DG  

Eddie M.

If you widen the pod, a conventional twin-wheel main gear (a la Jaguar or Mirage F1) would work, especially since the wheels don't have to go all the way in on an A-10.  The Viggen tandem option works if you lengthen, rather than widen the pod.

The twin nose wheels shouldn't be a problem if the nosegear leg is centered and retracts backwards.  That also makes room for both GAU-8s up front.  A chubby-cheeked bulge on each side for the gun's ammo would be cool - like the camera bulges on an RF-86F or possibly the "Sabrinas" on a Hunter.

DG
Thank you for the ideas.  :) Now since this is a W.I., what if I made this into a tandum boom OV-10 style  aircraft. I'm not completely happy with the tail as is. So, do I go with the one I have now, sans the canted control surfaces and keep it down to a minimum, or go over the top with the twin boom.(2 engines per boom) Decisions, decisions. :blink:  :wacko:  :dum:  :party:  :)
  Eddie
Look behind you!

Eddie M.

Here's the new tail. The tandum boom thing would be cool, but too much work would be needed and i want to finish this year. :) This aircraft now has a designation; A-10+ Hogzilla :party:  
   Eddie
Look behind you!

Brian da Basher

Yeeaaaahhh Eddie!!! That tail fits it like a glove! Hogzilla is a great whif-name too!

Wish I'd thought of it.  <_<

Awesome work there Eddie!

Brian da Basher

K5054NZ

:D  Poifect! I love it! Now concentrate on finishing the FH-64 and then get back to this.

DreamStar.......I just finished "Day of the Cheetah" again and I'm inspired.....

nev

Hogzilla, love it!  :lol:  :lol:  
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Eddie M.

Quote:D  Poifect! I love it! Now concentrate on finishing the FH-64 and then get back to this.

DreamStar.......I just finished "Day of the Cheetah" again and I'm inspired.....
Zac,
  My Dreamstar is one step closer to becoming a reality. I just picked up a F-5( $10s. Can't beat that ;) ) for the nose and will be modifying a F-22 body as the main body.

As for Hogzilla, I'll be moving forward on this in the near future :rolleyes:
    Eddie
Look behind you!

K5054NZ

Coolcoolcoolcoolcool! DreamStar  :wub:  :wub:

Hang on - you've gotta wait for me to get an F-15 first! Probably an E - still need an extra set of vertical stabs before I can start it though.

Great news Mr M!

retro_seventies

don't you love it when this happens?  :wub:

i'd forgotten all about hogzilla, and then the thread resurfaces and it's like christmas all over again!  i forgot what a sturdy girl she is...wow!  :wub:

"Computer games don't affect kids. I mean, if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." Kristin Wilson, Nintendo Inc, 1989.

SimonR

Great work, Eddie. Are you still going for twin Avengers in the nose?
Simon

This is the curse of speed;  I have been a slave to it all my life. On my gravestone they will carve 'It never got fast enough for me'.
Hunter S. Thompson

B777LR

reminds me of a VC10. Looks very good. also reminds me of the beutiful luftwaffe high altitude birds.