S

MiG-25 'Foxbat' and MiG-31 'Fox Hound'

Started by SinUnNombre, January 14, 2006, 02:23:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SinUnNombre

Hey everyone. I've been trying to decide what to do with my Hobbycraft MiG-25 all week, but I'm drawing a blank. The only thing that comes to mind would be to paint it semi-gloss black with North Korean markings and scratchbuild a small tac-nuke for the centerline. What do y'all think? Thanks for your input. Later.

Jon

gooberliberation

Noseart: KIM JONG THRILLA

The highspeed bomber sounds plenty good enough. Perhaps some squiggle/mottled camo for the topside?
================================
"How about this for a headline for tomorrows paper? French fries." ~~ James French, d. 1966 Executed in electric chair in Oklahoma.

Jennings

USAF Red Hat aggressor?  Not as far fetched as you might think :)

J
"My fellow Americans, our long national nightmare is over." - Gerald R. Ford, 9 Aug 1974

Sentinel Chicken

Some MiG-25s were built as SEAD aircraft- this is from Greg Goebel's site:

Quote* Along with the interceptor and reconnaissance variants, the Soviets developed a "suppression of enemy air defenses (SEAD)" variant of the MiG-25. The idea had actually been around since before the first flight of any Foxbat prototype, embodied in a "Ye-155K" proposal, to eventually emerge as the "MiG-25BM", which was assigned the NATO codename of "Foxbat-F".

The USSR did not like the "up close and personal" approach of American "Wild Weasel" defense suppression aircraft and decided to adopt a "standoff" approach. The Foxbat-F was equipped with a sophisticated Yaguar (Jaguar) RHAWS, in a nose with 20 centimeter (8 inch) extension plug and dielectric panels for receiving antennas on the sides. The MiG-25BM carried a total of four "Kh-58" (NATO "AS-11 Kilter") antiradar missiles (ARMs) on its wing pylons. The Kh-58 has a range of more than 48 kilometers (30 miles), and was the first operational Soviet ARM that could be carried by a fighter-class aircraft.

The MiG-25BM generally carried the big 5,300 liter (1,400 US gallon) centerline tank. Since the MiG-25BM was a single-seat aircraft while US Wild Weasel platforms were two-seaters, pilot workload was probably on the high side.

The initial prototype was rebuilt from a MiG-25RBV and performed its initial flight in 1976. Production of the MiG-25BM began in 1982 and continued into 1985, with about a hundred built. Most or all Foxbat-Fs featured black-painted noses as a "deception" scheme to make them look like interceptors in surveillance images.

When East Germany was still a major basing area for the Soviet Frontal Aviation, there were -25BMs that were camouflaged.

So you could build it as a -25BM updated to today's standards- newer avionics and Kh-31 (AS-17 Krypton) missiles underwing. Disruptive splinter camouflage and Ukranian roundels.

Or if you wanna really go nucking futs, do the proposed supersonic bizjet version:

Give it Aeroflot markings like it's some sort of VVIP bird.  

Captain Canada

I've always fancied seeing one done up in CDN markings, as we could use an interceptor to stop US overflights.
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Brian da Basher

Woah Sentinel Chicken, that Aeroflot supersonic bizjet is amazing! Hands-down, it's the best looking SST I've ever seen!

Brian da Basher

P.S. I'd love to see one in Eastern Airlines livery.

noxioux

SEAD Foxbat gets my vote.

Matt Wiser

When Viktor Belenko flew his MiG-25 to Japan in 1976, he brought the pilot's manual with him-he fully expected to teach American pilots to fly the Foxbat. Now, if the Japanese had consented, his bird winds up in Dreamland with the Red Hats...
Flying it would have to be done carefully, unlike the MiG-17s, -19s, -21s, and -23s
flown by the Red Hats, there would've been no ready source of spare parts.  Instead, the Japanese only allowed the U.S. to examine the plane, photograph it,
do ground tests of the radar and engines, before shipping it back to the Russians-
in pieces.  
Treat everyone you meet with kindness and respect; but always have a plan to kill them.

Old USMC adage

elmayerle

The proposed four-seat "priority transport" version - not as stretched as the SSBBJ, but with four separate canopies but only the pilot having controls and insturments, the rest were all for passengers or very high priority cargo.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

K5054NZ

North Koreeeeeaaaaaaa ^_^ !

You could go real world and do a Belenko diorama.....nah, I know - that buried Foxbat you showed me! Or, better yet, SEAD!

Radish

Drag Racer.....clip the wings and add some BIG tyres :wub:  
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

Captain Canada

QuoteBut why use a MiG-25 when you have the CF-105, eh?

;)
I was going with the idea that the -25 entered service whilst the 105 didn't.

Wonder where I got that idea ?
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Jennings

QuoteInstead, the Japanese only allowed the U.S. to examine the plane, photograph it, do ground tests of the radar and engines, before shipping it back to the Russians-in pieces.
Well, most of it anyway...  Let's just say that Belenko's airplane was a few thousand pounds lighter when it returned to the USSR than it was when it left, and I ain't talkin' about fuel :)

J
"My fellow Americans, our long national nightmare is over." - Gerald R. Ford, 9 Aug 1974

lancer

QuoteBut why use a MiG-25 when you have the CF-105, eh?

;)
Because the MiG25 actually got to see service????????
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

gooberliberation

I'm suddenly in this situation too. I've got a hasegawa foxbat sitting around. Mabye I'll do the tailsitter, since I've got an extra set of wings around. :wub:

Either that or an Satellite killer with laser pod and ASAT missiles. Nah, I'll do that to the MiG-31. Tailsitter for me!
================================
"How about this for a headline for tomorrows paper? French fries." ~~ James French, d. 1966 Executed in electric chair in Oklahoma.