S

MiG-25 'Foxbat' and MiG-31 'Fox Hound'

Started by SinUnNombre, January 14, 2006, 02:23:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SinUnNombre

Hey guys. Been thinking about this one again lately. I think I've decided on a SEAD plane in Yuktobanian markings. The camo would be a psuedo-fractal version of SEA camo, light green uppers with brown and gray brushmarks, and gray unders. What kind of modifications would I have to make to a standard Foxbat to make a SEAD one? What kind of loadout should it have? Thanks again for all input.

Jon

overscan

Search for MiG-25BM if you want to go real-world on your SEAD MiG-25. It was a real aircraft which carried 4 Kh-58 ARMs on underwing pylons.

For a what-if, maybe remodel the R-40 missiles from the MiG-25 by shaving the large wings down to strakes. Add avionics pods on the wingtips to house the RWR/target designation equipment and ECM.

Paul Martell-Mead / Overscan
"What if?" addict

P1127

Israel.........................
It's not an effing  jump jet.

GTX

QuoteWhat kind of modifications would I have to make to a standard Foxbat to make a SEAD one? What kind of loadout should it have?

As overscan said, you would probably use the MiG-25BM as a reference point, since it was the Russian/Soviet SEAD MiG-25 variant.  As seen in the pics below, the nose was remodeled to remove the original radar and replace it with systems for the SEAD role (the Jaguar antiradar system, target designation system for the Sych antiradiation homing missile, defensive electronic ECM system consisting of the Beryoza-L radio surveillance system and Syren-1D-OZh and Lyutik active jamming systems to be exact).  As for weapons, the KH-58 ARM was the primary weapon, though gravity bombs could also be carried (as shown in one of the pics).  I have included a couple of pics of the KH-58 for you as well.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

B777LR

USAF bought some from Syria, for use in the Fighter schools as aggressors!

Daryl J.

Mount a Tsybin NM-1 on its back, put winter ice skids alongside the tyres, tip the MiG with a tactical nuke and you have a Mistelski!

But to find an NM-1................

Daryl J.

Andrew Gorman

GTX:
What is mounted on the inboard underwing pylon in the fourth picture down?  It looks like a silver panzerfaust, but obviously that's not it.  Modern aircraft are not my strong point!
Thanks,
Andrew

SinUnNombre

OK, the direction I'm planning on heading with this build is jsut a real-world conversion to to MiG-25BM, but kind of "fishy" so to speak. I love the look of the extended nose cone, so that has to be there, and I'm thinking of enlarging the wingtip pods(more electronics?), and blowing the canopy out a little to give it more of a bubble feel. I will probably cut up the kit missile to convert them to Kh-58's, anad track down 2 small centerline bombs as shown in the pics. I might find some fine mesh to stretch across the intake openings, because sucking in a bird or tree limb flying Mach 2 125 ft. off the deck probably isn't a good thing! :P

Probably the most "whiffy" part of this buuld will be the markings. As I said earlier, it will be painted up in the services of the Yuktobanian Air Wing. Any AceCombat 5 fans out there know exactly what I'm talking about. B)  I'm having a hard time describing the camo scheme I've envisioned. If anyone has the kit, look at the Soviet markings on the back. Now take that green and gray camo, and fractalize it a bit. Not a true fractal, but just enough to square it off and get the effect. I'm hoping for this to be a fairly straightforward build that should be a lot of fun. But looking at those fuselage halves, I'm starting to think that I might have my work cut out for me.......... :wacko:

Jon

GTX

QuoteWhat is mounted on the inboard underwing pylon in the fourth picture down? It looks like a silver panzerfaust, but obviously that's not it

Andrew,

Believe it or not, but you're not that far off - I believe it's actually an S-25-OF heavy unguided rocket still in it's launch tube.  Here's a picture of one being launched:

Regards,

Greg

GTX

QuoteBut to find an NM-1................

Daryl,

Kora models did a Resin one in 1/72 - you can order one here:

Regards,

Greg

Andrew Gorman

Yikes- I had no idea unguided rockets were still being used!  There's a great kitbashed Tsybin in 1/48 over at Hyperscale:
http://hsfeatures.com/tsybinrsrpb_1.htm
Andrew

SinUnNombre

OK, sorry to dissapoint, but I've had some things come to light in the past few hours that are probably going to kill off the SEAD conversion...for now. You see, I'm going to be moving in a few weeks, and I have to box up all my model stuff. Well, fully assembled, this kit won't fit back in the box. And with the hours I'm working, and how long I know the putty-sand-reapet phase on this is going to take, I just don't have the time to totally finish the SEAD to the best of my abilities. I think I might use this as a diorama of the buried MiG-25 mentioned earlier in the post, and get another Hobbycraft or maybe a Hasegawa Foxbat for the SEAD later when I've got time. This kinda sucks. Anyway, here are th pics of the buried Foxbat:
http://airpower.callihan.cc/HTML/Spotlight.../IraqiMIG25.htm

Jon -_-  

ChuckAnderson

How about:
(1) A Soviet Naval Aviation version (done in the colours of the Soviet Navy's Backfire bombers.)
(2) If you can add a second seat, how about a Soviet version of a "Wild Weasel" flak-suppression aircraft.

Chuck Anderson
cbakiteskites@yahoo.com
University Place, Washington

GTX

QuoteIf you can add a second seat, how about a Soviet version of a "Wild Weasel" flak-suppression aircraft.

Chuck,

Essentially the SEAD version we are discussing is a Soviet equivalent of the American "Wild Weasel" concept.  SEAD = Suppression of Enemy Air Defences.  The MiG-25BM ('Foxbat-F') SEAD variant, carrying four Kh-58 (AS-11 'Kilter') anti-radiation missiles was purposely designed for that role.

If you wanted a two seat version, you could use the MiG-31 some versions of which are also able to use the Kh-31P and Kh-58 (see above) anti-radiation missiles in the SEAD role.

Regards,

Greg

GTX

Quote'm thinking of enlarging the wingtip pods(more electronics?)

If you wanted wingtip pods, you could go with a version of the Su-27's Sorbtsiya ECM pods:

Regards,

Greg