S

MiG-25 'Foxbat' and MiG-31 'Fox Hound'

Started by SinUnNombre, January 14, 2006, 02:23:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GTX

QuoteOK, sorry to dissapoint, but I've had some things come to light in the past few hours that are probably going to kill off the SEAD conversion...for now.

Jon,

That's a pity - but you should emphasise the "for now".  Keep taking notes and making plans.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

elmayerle

Quote'm thinking of enlarging the wingtip pods(more electronics?)

If you wanted wingtip pods, you could go with a version of the Su-27's Sorbtsiya ECM pods:

Regards,

Greg
Anyone have the dimensions on those ECM pods?  They're perfect for a project I've got in mind.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

GTX

Evan,

I don't have the actual dimensions, though I do have some 1/72 line drawings plus plenty of photos if you're interested.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Jeffry Fontaine

MiG-25 or MiG-31 fitted with Pratt and Whitney J58 engines.  A simple WHIF conversion based on the engine exhaust parts from an SR-71 or F-12.  This could be accomplished in 1/144th scale, 1/72nd scale, and 1/48th scale with the kits currently available for each subject. 

As far as I know, the only MiG-31 kit available was the 1/48th scale Lindberg MiG-31 which has not been seen on a store shelf in many years.  Sad that it was not listed as a kit to be available for sale on the Lindberg web page. 

Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Jeffry Fontaine

Quote from: Overkiller on August 03, 2008, 11:50:29 AMI like the cut of your gib sir!
J-58, or how about J-93's?  Maybe switch to a tailless delta wing?  Twin seater stretched fuselage? Or how about the airliner proposal?

Hi Duncan,

I was focused on 1/48th scale for the original idea, so the only source I could think of would be the Testors/Italeri SR-71/YF-12 kit for the engine exhaust parts.  But the J93 would certainly work for a smaller scale project.

The two seat Foxbat could be cobbled together by using the old Lindberg 1/48th scale MiG-31 Foxhound kit and kit bashing that with the Revell MiG-25. 

Delta wing?  Guess that could work.  Might have to do a bit of scale-o-rama to make it fit but it would certainly be an interesting subject when finished. 

While I was station in Wiesbaden, Germany on my last assignment overseas, I acquired a built Revell MiG-25 from another modeler that was getting ready to toss it out.  I had an idea for a MiG-25S 'Strike Bat' which would have been a high speed bomb truck.  I recall seeing various drawings at the time of a MiG-25 fitted with the 23mm gun package and another drawing suggesting a huge (~700 gallon/3000 Liter) fuel tank strapped to the fuselage both of these concepts were appealing to me.  The MiG-25 is now long gone but the idea remains and one of these days I would like to see it through to completion.  The weapon load will be much different from my original concept since there are now numerous kits available that contain suitable Russian aircraft ordnance which really helps with the plausibility factor. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

dy031101

I read somewhere that there were plans to build MiG-25 powered by D30F turbofans, and there was an experimental version with inflight refuelling probe.

Why don't we throw all the good idea experiments with MiG-25 together?  A D30F-powered, inflight-refuelling-capable MiG-25 equipped with new ECM system and armed with some new ordnances (R-37 and R-77 might be a bit extreme, but certainly R-27ER and R-27ET are better weapons than R-40)?
To the individual soldiers, *everything* is a frontal assault!

====================

Current Hobby Priority...... Sigh......

To-do list here

dy031101

Quote from: Jeffry Fontaine on August 03, 2008, 12:47:19 PM
I recall seeing various drawings at the time of a MiG-25 fitted with the 23mm gun package and another drawing suggesting a huge (~700 gallon/3000 Liter) fuel tank strapped to the fuselage both of these concepts were appealing to me.

Gun package?  Do you still remember if the gun was in a pylon-mounted pod or in some permanent or semi-permament fuselage installation?  And the type of 23mm gun (twin-barrelled or gatling)?
To the individual soldiers, *everything* is a frontal assault!

====================

Current Hobby Priority...... Sigh......

To-do list here

Jeffry Fontaine

Quote from: dy031101 on August 03, 2008, 10:52:00 PM
Quote from: Jeffry Fontaine on August 03, 2008, 12:47:19 PM
I recall seeing various drawings at the time of a MiG-25 fitted with the 23mm gun package and another drawing suggesting a huge (~700 gallon/3000 Liter) fuel tank strapped to the fuselage both of these concepts were appealing to me.

Gun package?  Do you still remember if the gun was in a pylon-mounted pod or in some permanent or semi-permament fuselage installation?  And the type of 23mm gun (twin-barrelled or gatling)?

The gun package suggested in the drawing was the same weapon that was fitted to the MiG-23 Flogger

Hammer

What about putting a third engine atop the existing ones? Or fitting 'thikish' FAST type fuel packs to the sides of the intakes? Or fitting butterfly-style canted tail surfaces on the back? Or pushbacl the wings and add canards upfront? One other possibility would be to add those light side ridges the F-22 has on the sides of the forward fuselage. Of course paint the resulting aircraft matte black and add zig-zage door and access panels covers all over the place. ;) Have fun!

Regards,
Hammer
I look up, I dice, I mix, I chew, I blend, I spit it out!

Archibald

Mig-25 or Mig-31 in NASA chase planes colors (like the F-104 and their Hornet successors) maybe with a small rocket exhaust to boost even higher ?

Raspberry ripple Mig-31, yum!

The Mig-25U trainer is butt-ugly unless your scrap the "standard" cockpit. Just keep the forward cockpit.
It also works for Il-28 and Tu-128 trainers...

I remember project to launch microsats from Mig-31. Don't expect more than 40 kg in LEO

now a crazy idea... Zvezno Mig-25, hanged below a Tu-160  :o
King Arthur: Can we come up and have a look?
French Soldier: Of course not. You're English types.
King Arthur: What are you then?
French Soldier: I'm French. Why do you think I have this outrageous accent, you silly king?

Well regardless I would rather take my chance out there on the ocean, that to stay here and die on this poo-hole island spending the rest of my life talking to a gosh darn VOLLEYBALL.

Mossie

Quote from: Overkiller on August 03, 2008, 11:50:29 AM

Maybe switch to a tailless delta wing?

I guess that'd resemble the Avro Arrow, would look good.

How about a derived scaled down fighter (rather than interceptor) version?  Scalorama a 1/72 MiG-25/31 into a 1/48 aircraft, with a new canopy & detail changes?  Kind of the opposite of what Dassault did with the Mirage 2000 to create the Mirage 4000.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

kitnut617

Quote from: Mossie on August 04, 2008, 03:33:28 AM
Quote from: Overkiller on August 03, 2008, 11:50:29 AM

Maybe switch to a tailless delta wing?

I guess that'd resemble the Avro Arrow, would look good.

How about a derived scaled down fighter (rather than interceptor) version?  Scalorama a 1/72 MiG-25/31 into a 1/48 aircraft, with a new canopy & detail changes?  Kind of the opposite of what Dassault did with the Mirage 2000 to create the Mirage 4000.

Well I used a Mig 31 fuselage for my Super Arrow, there was enough coincedences with the two airframes that it worked into my 'developed' Arrow story quite well:
http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,20873.msg296574.html#msg296574

If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

KJ_Lesnick

You know, I think I saw a British concept-design called the English-Electric P.42, which looked like a MiG-31 with a little bit of the outboard wing downturned, and it looked a lot like a single-tailed MiG-31 with downward-folding wingtips for high-speed flight. 

That would be a very good Delta-MiG-31 like design

KJ_Lesnick
BTW:  I was wondering if anybody thought of a Sovietized A-12?  Or some kind of design like that (maybe a sovietized CL-2016 which was this pre-ATF design which looked Blackbird-esque) 
That being said, I'd like to remind everybody in a manner reminiscent of the SNL bit on Julian Assange, that no matter how I die: It was murder (even if there was a suicide note or a video of me peacefully dying in my sleep); should I be framed for a criminal offense or disappear, you know to blame.

Taiidantomcat

Quote from: Shasper on August 03, 2008, 02:25:03 PM
Was keeping this sorta under wraps, but I've had a "MiG-31E" strike Fox in the works for the last 5 months or so using the old Revell Foxhound kit from the '80s. . . scratched the CFTs from the kits massive droptanks so we'll see how this turns out.

Shas 8)

Give us PICS!!

is this what you meant KJ?

I have the Lindberg Mig-31, it would make a rivet counter pull his hair out! would work ok for us but it is not the best fit, and it has pretty soft detail, easily fixed though. It would be cool to bash the Foxbat and Foxhound. It's still in the planning stages but i wanted to put super hornet LEXs on a Foxbat...think that would be pretty neat.
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

KJ_Lesnick

TaiidanTomcat,
QuoteGive us PICS!!

is this what you meant KJ?

Yup, that's the basic design, however, I would want to add some MiG-31 characteristics to the design.  For example, I think it would look better with a twin-tail set-up, and narrower inlets to be more like the actual MiG-31 design. 

KJ Lesnick
That being said, I'd like to remind everybody in a manner reminiscent of the SNL bit on Julian Assange, that no matter how I die: It was murder (even if there was a suicide note or a video of me peacefully dying in my sleep); should I be framed for a criminal offense or disappear, you know to blame.