Fire Fighting Helo

Started by Eddie M., January 18, 2006, 04:24:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

elmayerle

I can tell you most of it, they're not that big but they prop the open cowling up on the "wing" to form a maintenance stand.  Got that from a former co-worker on the B-2 who'd been a designer at Hughes Helocopter.  Take a look at pictures of the Apache and you'll see what I'm talking about.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

K5054NZ

Miller's Modelworks, We Bash Anything Anytime......

We'll return to our normal services momentarily  ;)  ...

Eddie M.

QuoteI can tell you most of it, they're not that big but they prop the open cowling up on the "wing" to form a maintenance stand.  Got that from a former co-worker on the B-2 who'd been a designer at Hughes Helocopter.  Take a look at pictures of the Apache and you'll see what I'm talking about.
Is the thing you speak of in this photo? Thanks for getting me curious about that. I started looking at a few pix and see a couple of small things I can add to give it a bit more"feel."
http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/
Look behind you!

Eddie M.

QuoteMiller's Modelworks, We Bash Anything Anytime......

We'll return to our normal services momentarily  ;)  ...
I think I'll have a small update later. I'm kinda bummed out right this second. I either got too much dull coat on the rotor assembly or it was too humid outside. What I've got is a cloudly finish and I'm trying to figure out what to do without destroying the paint job under the flat coat. If I ever had a build go right from start to finish, I'd will quit the hobby. No need for me to worry, cuz that will never happen. :lol:
   Eddie
Look behind you!

Eddie M.

Here's the canopy in place. :)
  Eddie
Look behind you!

K5054NZ

Brian da Basher

That gold canopy is icing on the cake Eddie! Love this helo!

I hope your "clouds" clear soon.

Brian da Basher

Eddie M.

And now she's got legs. ;)  :)
  Eddie

Look behind you!

K5054NZ

elmayerle

QuoteI can tell you most of it, they're not that big but they prop the open cowling up on the "wing" to form a maintenance stand.  Got that from a former co-worker on the B-2 who'd been a designer at Hughes Helocopter.  Take a look at pictures of the Apache and you'll see what I'm talking about.
Is the thing you speak of in this photo? Thanks for getting me curious about that. I started looking at a few pix and see a couple of small things I can add to give it a bit more"feel."
If you look at the photos in the AH-64 walkaround on ARC, several of the shots by Bryan Ribbans show the items I'm talking about.  There's a little fairing above the forward nacelle, then s short rod that ends in a stabilizing foot.  The stabilizing foot on the rod is right "over the counter" off some office furniture, or so I was told.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

MCS

QuoteI can tell you most of it, they're not that big but they prop the open cowling up on the "wing" to form a maintenance stand.  Got that from a former co-worker on the B-2 who'd been a designer at Hughes Helocopter.  Take a look at pictures of the Apache and you'll see what I'm talking about.
Picture 14 in the RNLAF AH-64 walkaround on ARC is a pretty good shot of the item Evan referred to.

As far as the exhaust is concerned, I don't think they'd require the exhaust cooling system and it's perfectly plausible that the operator could strip out all of the internals. I'm not sure how the AH-64 system is configured, but, on the Blackhawk I know you can do this. The LA County Fire Department did just that on their S-70A-33A's.

If you want to add more bits and pieces, try the following link. It's a site that has, I believe, all of the Apache maintenance manuals on it. TM 1-1500-238-23 would be the one you'd want to look at.

http://www.tpub.com/content/ahapache/

HTH,
Mike
Spends too much time researching rather than building...

K5054NZ

And in todays weather, it appears the clouds around Millerville are set to disperse in no time at all.

We'll bring you more news as it comes to hand.

Eddie M.

The clouds of funky, unmotivated plastic burn out are clearing ..... ;)  :) I have had a couple of set backs and just put everything down for a few days. I've worked on the instruments in the nose and am painting the tail rotors and other little bits'n'bobs. Here's what the nose looks like now.  Lens go on after the clear coat. :party:
    Eddie
Look behind you!

Brian da Basher

Oh Eddie that pic is such a tease! I'm really really looking forward to seeing this one done! You've got another show-stopper in the making!

Brian da Basher

K5054NZ