SAAF Atlas Cheetah C/ACW variant

Started by Sentinel Chicken, January 25, 2006, 07:30:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sentinel Chicken

The F-21 Pirahna topic got me to dig this one out from the back of the display case- this is the Atlas Cheetah C with the Advanced Combat Wing with wingtip missile launchers (detailed in Volume 16 of World Air Power Journal back around 1994 or so). The base model used is DML's 1/144 scale Kfir.

^First shot. I have a quarter in the shot to give a sense of the small size of this kit. Basically the modifications added- radar nose section grafted on (used a 1/72 missile, I think it was a Phoenix, memory's a bit fuzzy) with nose strakes, refuelling probe, one piece wrap-around windscreen, taller fuselage cooling scoops, reprofiled the wing leading edge with the added fence and the kinked wing extensions that mount the wing tip missile launchers.

^Opposite side. Painted overall in Dark Compass Ghost Gray with Intermediate Blue on the "diamond" area on the top surface/fin of the Cheetah. Markings were hand drawn with a technical pen.

^Top view. The missiles were originally crap-donkey Sidewinders that came with that atrocious Revell 1/144 scale Gripen kit that I modified to represent Armscor V3 Kukri AAMs. Reprofiling the wing leading edge was tricky as the proposed Advanced Combat Wing was drooped without a kink. I basically cut off the leading edge of the kit's wing and spliced on some styrene and sanded the bejeezus out of it to get something that looked right. The wingtip extensions were styrene add ons profiled and grafted onto the wingtips.

^Underside view. Decided to keep with a light load out. Sometimes you can put too much on a model and it detracts from the project's final look. Only stores here are supersonic tanks. I also painted a false cockpit on the underside of the nose.

^Side view. You can better appreciate the two-tone camouflage scheme in this side view. Since the Atar didn't need as much cooling as the Kfir's J79, I cut off the cooling inlet at the base of the Kfir's fin to better represent a Mirage stock fin. Various little aerials and antennas were added to the fin as well.

^Front view. The ACW, nose radome, and wingtip missiles really give the plane a modern look.

This version of the Cheetah C never flew. The ACW did get flight tested on a Cheetah D I think, but it lacked the wingtip extensions with missile launchers. Changes in the political climate in South Africa at the time kept this version of the Cheetah C an unbuilt, but promising, proposal.  

MerlinJones

I bet you get your giant coins from the same Giant Coin Shop I do! ;)
Very nice!

Scooterman

<using one of my favorite ways to describe something extremely well done.........>

DRIPPY SEXY HOT!!!!
:wub:  :wub:  :wub:  

Damian2

DUDE!!! THATS TOTALLY FECKING AWESOME!!!!!!!
Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try.

anthonyp

:wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:

And you didn't go blind building that, right?  

Very nice!

:cheers:  :cheers:  
I exist to pi$$ others off!!!
My categorized models directory on my site.
My site (currently with no model links).
"Build what YOU like, the way YOU want to." - a wise man

Deino

Just incredible  :o   :blink: ... I like it very much  :wub: ... maybe as much as the Vigilante !

Do You have some of these beauties somewhere hidden ... ???? PLEASE let us take a glimpse !   B)

By the way did You get my PM at the secret projects page ??

Cheers ... and keep up that work,

Deino    :D
My noon, my midnight, my talk, my song;
I thought that love would last forever; I was wrong.

The stars are not wanted now; put out every one:
Pack up the moon and dismantle the sun;
Pour away the ocean and sweep up the woods:
For nothing now can ever come to any good.
-
W.H.Auden (1945

Sentinel Chicken

QuoteBy the way did You get my PM at the secret projects page ??

Cheers ... and keep up that work,

Deino    :D
Just sent you a reply, Deino as I just read your message. I'll send you an email as well.

As for a few more of these, I got a few more I want to share with everyone here. You've all got me inspired to take x-acto to plastic once again after a hiatus.

And there's more illustrations coming, too!

Shasper

Thats pretty cool SenChick, besides the fact that the Cheetah's are based on the Mirage III, Looks great (gotta love DML kits!)

Shas B)
Take Care, Stay Cool & Remember to "Check-6"
- Bud S.

The Rat

QuoteThe base model used is DML's 1/144 scale Kfir.
Yeah, it gets easier when you work in those bigger scales.  :P

Damn god one Sench, I can't imagine getting those leeeeetle teeny stripes around the missiles.  :blink:

:cheers:  
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Brian da Basher

Mr Chicken sir that's one hot ship! Your work in this small scale is incredibly impressive and an inspiration!

Brian da Basher

Tophe

:wub: Nicely original Mirage, so uncommon... Congratulations.
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

cthulhu77

Whooooha !  What's next, a superdetailed 1/350 Intruder ????  Nice jet !

lancer

*SOB* He makes them looks sooo damm good, even at that scale. I wanna give up and go home.......

Envy aside mate, that is so fraking incredible, you make the snail scale look soooo damm easy.
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

K5054NZ

What can I say? DELTA CANAAAARDS OWN! :wub:  :wub:  :wub:

Great stuff matey, I love it!!!