Allan's Hartmann 109-just about finished

Started by Allan, January 26, 2006, 05:19:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Allan

Hi blokes,

We had a happy Australia Day yesterday and my wife and I shook Prime Minister Howard's hand at a citizenship ceremony here in beautiful Canberra.

Here are six piccies of my Hartmann 109 in low-viz markings, just about finished. All it lacks are the pitot tube and radio mast, which I stuck on the next day. Once I get some photos of the finished plane, I'll Hyperscale them, but only after you fellows have had a good opportunity to take a long look at it.

Here they are. What you you think?

As you see, I've modelled the plane with the canopy open, but while the glue was drying overnight it seems to have closed a little. Maybe there is some weird principle to this. Originally, I intended it to be much more open.

And here's the admissison. Thee are some major boobs with this plane. I've cemented the cockpit armor to the cockpit sill when in fact in the real plane it was attached to the canopy. Oh well, I can claim that Hartmann preferred it this way.

And as for the radio mast, I cemented it to the canopy when in fact in the real plane it was attached to the fuselage. I found this out last night when I was watching a video I have of German pilots taking off in their planes--clearly the radio mast stays with the fuselage and is not attached to the canopy at all. What  could I do: there was a hole in the back of the canopy and the instructions told me to attach it there.

Another boob with this model is that some of the matt varnish spray when onto the inner sides of the front canopy. Maybe I can pass it off as early morning Russian winter frost.

Allan in Canbera

K5054NZ

Not *admissions*. *What if modifications*!

Great work Al, and congrats to Mrs Al!

Allan

Thanks, Zac, mate. It was a fun build.

Really should have done my homework with the radio mast, though.

Allan in Canberra

The Rat

QuoteI've cemented the cockpit armor to the cockpit sill when in fact in the real plane it was attached to the canopy. Oh well, I can claim that Hartmann preferred it this way.
Well, he had a sore shoulder from lifting the canopy so much that he decided to lighten it.

So there, ya bloody JMNs! Betcha didn't know that!

:lol:  
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Brian da Basher

Allan that is one great looking Me-109! I think you've pulled that off with aplomb! Despite any minor "goofs" you should be justly proud of it!

Brian da Basher

P.S. I particularly enjoyed the pic of you holding the model. It's nice to know that someone who looks like one of the higher-ups at work builds models too. It makes me feel a little more "normal".  ;)

NARSES2

Nice one Al - I've built the Accademy 1/72 version, but it's much cleaner than yours - just come out of the spray shed, can't handle wear & tear I'm afraid

Chris
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

gooberliberation

Naaah... The Me 109 G-57K/R-79s built at Boogersburg in the first week of may '44 while under the supervision of head-engineer Hans Whifflestein all had cockpit mounted armor and canopy mounted radio masts. Any experten coulda told you that. :lol:
================================
"How about this for a headline for tomorrows paper? French fries." ~~ James French, d. 1966 Executed in electric chair in Oklahoma.

cthulhu77

Nice looking plane, and some great pics !

matrixone

Allan,

Great looking 109!

Many Bf 109s that had the late war style canopy like the one on your model did in fact have the radio mast mounted on the canopy instead of the fuselage.

There are some good photos of late war Bf 109s in the book ''Messerschmitt Bf 109s of JG 52 in Deutsch Brod'' that show the radio mast mounted on the canopy frame.

Matrixone  

Allan

Thanks Matrix and others for your kind comments.

That's a relief to hear about the radio mast being sometimes attached to the canopy.

For my next project I think I might attempt a FW 190 or maybe a Mig 19 in wood grain finish like a WW 1 jobbie.

I'm practising wood grain finish on some scrap parts before attempting it with the real kit.

Any tips gratefully accepted.

Allan in Canberra

Allan

By the way fellows,, is anyone interested in that video I mentioned with clips of pilots getting on board their planes, gun camera film and footage of famous aces?

Allan in Canberra

BlackOps

Alan, I think it turned out great!  At first I wasn't sure if I was going to like the heavy weathering but you've surprised me :)

Jeff G.
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

NARSES2

QuoteThanks Matrix and others for your kind comments.

That's a relief to hear about the radio mast being sometimes attached to the canopy.

For my next project I think I might attempt a FW 190 or maybe a Mig 19 in wood grain finish like a WW 1 jobbie.

I'm practising wood grain finish on some scrap parts before attempting it with the real kit.

Any tips gratefully accepted.

Allan in Canberra
Alan

A technic I used for wood grain finish on a Albatross DV was to undercoat in a "flesh" - I used an old Humbrol Authentic's tin (shows his age !) and then to not quite dry brush, little more paint then usual, with the more normal wood tones. Again I used some Humbrol Authentic Ancient's colours. Lot's of well thined coats

Chris
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Dork the kit slayer

Good on yer Allan......glad to se your still talking to us Whiffers what with your parlimentary connections an'all. :cheers:

There is a touch of the Svens about you in that photo......ever considered the England football team as a side line???????...............................thought not ,Ill gert me coat :D  :D  
Im pink therefore Im Spam...and not allowed out without an adult    

http://plasticnostalgia.blogspot.co.uk/

Allan

Whaddaya meen, Dork, I'm a real nobody.

What happened was that on Australia Day last Thursday my wife and I just out of curiosity went to a citizenship ceremony in a park in Canberra and watched the PM hand out the certificates to the new citizens.

Then we joined the throng of well-wishers who surged around the PM to have a chat and shake his hand.

On the weekend I practiced wood grain finsh and it was very promising. Thanks for the idea Chris about using flesh colored paint. That seems to be the answer.

Then, I'll mix some acrylic yellow with Future and paint it on to represent the honey-colored varnish. I've made my own rake brush by hacking into a brush I don't use much any more. No need to spend the dough to buy one.

Maybe some piccies on Thursday.

Allan in Canberra