Okay, I'll be looking for a name again,

Started by The Rat, January 29, 2006, 12:48:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Canada

I thought the grey thing was a handy carrying handle.....

And I feel gyped, I thought you said 'drinking caps'. Mine's always on, btw.......
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

The Rat

QuoteA monticule is a little hump on the ground, such as where the pitcher stands in a baseball game.
I should've known that after the number of little humps I've had on the ground. All my pants have grass stains on the knees...  :huh:

It looks like it's delivering a menhir, perhaps it should be dubbed the Breguet Obelix?  ^_^

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

datguy

OK, I apologize for going a little too academic, but:

"Atantic" derives from the Titan "Atlas" in Greek mythology. Atlas had a daughter, the sea-nymph named Kalypso (or Calypso).  Calypso was a solitary figure who tried to isolate and protect Odysseus.

So, I vote for Kalypso: daughter of Atlantic, flies alone, protects the heroes.

Voila!

DG

(If I had a coat, I'd get it now...)

The Rat

QuoteOK, I apologize for going a little too academic, but:

"Atantic" derives from the Titan "Atlas" in Greek mythology. Atlas had a daughter, the sea-nymph named Kalypso (or Calypso).  Calypso was a solitary figure who tried to isolate and protect Odysseus.

So, I vote for Kalypso: daughter of Atlantic, flies alone, protects the heroes.

Voila!

DG

(If I had a coat, I'd get it now...)
Leave that coat on the hook, sit back down, and pour yourself a beer. Calypso it is!

I believe the French use the 'C' in that word?  
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Scooterman

Ollie

Brian da Basher

Calypso is a great name for that project. It makes me think of Jacques Cousteau. It's like when I'm at work and something minor that should only take minutes takes me an hour and I can hear Jacques Cousteau's voice in that wonderful accent saying, "We boarded Calypso for our odyssey..."

Brian da Basher

lancer

Yep, Calypso is a great name for this project.
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

The Rat

I am NOT slipping into JMN mode, honestly, but I just had to do work on the wheel wells. One mistake I've often seen on models is having all the gear doors hanging open. In reality, many aircraft have gear doors that open to let the gear down, but then most of them close up again leaving only a small area for the leg to protrude through. In fact some airliners are in danger of scraping the gear doors on the runway if a hydraulic problem prevents them folding up again before landing. I've stood by on more than a few of those emergency calls.

As you can see in picture 1, the good folks at Heller made that mistake, and only provided two large doors for each main wheel. So I've used some half-round sprue that was in the box to cut a couple of filler pieces, and putty will be built up around them to re-form the contours, the original doors will then be down-sized to be at least a bit more accurate:

They did the same with the nose gear, so that door has been cemented into place and putty again will be called for to restore the fuselage contour. And yes, I did drill out those tiny airscoops. Why some idiot would bother doing this on a 1/200th scale model is beyond the understanding of the idiot who did it.  :P

K5054NZ

Calypso is a fantastic name for anything. But Obelix would be great too! Same colour scheme maybe for the type's 25th anniversary or something?

"...her crews christened the Calypso "Obelix", after the popular comic book character who carried a rock similar in shape to the radar setup on his back..."

The Rat

Quote"...her crews christened the Calypso "Obelix", after the popular comic book character who carried a rock similar in shape to the radar setup on his back..."
Great minds think alike! Zac, that is just about word-for-word the phrase I was writing into the back story.

I might have to give up my position on the executive of Skeptics Canada and announce that ESP is for real.  :lol:  

K5054NZ

I'm glad you approve! In fact, I did wonder what that tingling feeling in the back of my head was...... :wacko:  

The Rat

MAN, this thing is a real little bugger! But it's probably my fault for getting obsessive over little things. Anyways, here's a couple of test pics. The saucer isn't glued yet, nor the gear and canopy.

Zac, I like your idea for the 25th anniversary scheme. If I have the courage, and the decals to replace the ones that will be painted over, I'll do it after the regular paint job.  ;)  

John Howling Mouse

Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

Brian da Basher

Lookin' good Mr. Rat-San! That's gonna be one nice Calypso there.

Brian da Basher