1/72 Boeing F-4B in Navy Wargames Camo

Started by Brian da Basher, January 31, 2006, 08:44:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

Brian

The experimental schemes are in SAMI Vol 11 issue 9 - September 2005.

The schemes were collectively known as the Barclay Design. There were several of them done with water-based paints and intended to confuse enemy gunners at long range. Very much a warship type camo

Hope the attached link helps

Barclay Design

Chris
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Brian da Basher

Thanks, Chris! I'll find a lot of inspiration in that link! I'm always on the hunt for interesting and obscure camo schemes...

Brian da Basher

Mike Wren

I had an idea to do some in-service Barclay schemes as if they'd been adopted by the Navy, so you'd have Wildcats, Kingfishers & other stuff in splinter schemes...

there are some profiles in the Squadron Signal book on US Navy camo & markings

Joe C-P

Ooo, that's lovely!  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:

One of these days I'm going to do one in a mid-WW2 scheme - colors and markings. I'm going to claim it was from the last carrier-based bipe squadron (in the Atlantic, on Wasp or Ranger, I think), used to "fill in" before the new Hellcats and Corsairs came on line in significant numbers. That'll get the JMNs running for their references.  :P

Of course, what I really love are the pre-WW2 bright colors, so I'd love to do some post-WW2 aircraft in throwback colors. Someday, someday...  ^_^

Both of these ideas are inspired by others on this board, thank you all so much!  :D  B)  
In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.

John Howling Mouse

QuoteEasiest way to fix em...convert to greyscale/black n white: it's the right time frame anyhow....:)
I liked Alvis' idea enough to try it out and see what your plane would look like in B&W:

Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

Brian da Basher

Thank you Mr Howling Mouse! They sure are in the right timeframe for a B&W pic. I played around with the software a little and did some minor tweaking on the pics. Attached pic is closest to reality...I think.  ;)

Brian da Basher

elmayerle

QuoteOoo, that's lovely!  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:

One of these days I'm going to do one in a mid-WW2 scheme - colors and markings. I'm going to claim it was from the last carrier-based bipe squadron (in the Atlantic, on Wasp or Ranger, I think), used to "fill in" before the new Hellcats and Corsairs came on line in significant numbers. That'll get the JMNs running for their references.  :P

Of course, what I really love are the pre-WW2 bright colors, so I'd love to do some post-WW2 aircraft in throwback colors. Someday, someday...  ^_^

Both of these ideas are inspired by others on this board, thank you all so much!  :D  B)
*Chuckle* I like the idea of a F-4B done up like this F4B-4 (or whatever dash no.).
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin