B

More Phantom Phantoms

Started by BobbyK, February 01, 2006, 09:46:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BobbyK

Here is the other two "paper" Phantoms to go with the F4VG I built.  The IAF Super Phantom is again based on the original issue Hasegawa kit.  The under fuselage conformal pack is scratchbuilt from sheet styrene.  The weapons came from either the kit, or the scrap box.  Decals are from the the scrap box.  I based the paint scheme on the fact that the IAF upgraded their Phantom to the less-radical "Kurnass 2000" standard.

This one is based on the Matchbox F-4K/M kit.  Photographing the dark grey paint didn't work out to well....but you can kinda get the idea.  At first glance, it looks kinda like a "standard" Phantom.  The fuselage has been stretched a scale 14 inches just behind the wing leading edge (right about where the auxillary intake doors are), the wing span increased by 5 scale feet (2 1/2 feet each side on the outer upturned panels), and the wing sweep reduced from 45 degrees to 40 degrees.  All the airframe mods were accomplished with sheet styrene.  The decals are from the kit.  I wish I had a better way of photographing dark colored models!!

( :huh: Maybe over the weekend if I have the time, I'll post some pics of my Boeing 747 proposals that I built in 1/144 scale.

nev

I've built that old-tool Hasegawa F-4E as a (real) Israeli plane, and let me tell you it looks nothing like as good as yours - not the best kit I ever built.

The F-4HL is very good, SIG leader Martin H built one last year :)
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Shasper

Can I see the Underside of the Superphantom? I've been looking for pics of the conformal palate since forever w/o getting anywhere.

Shas B)  
Take Care, Stay Cool & Remember to "Check-6"
- Bud S.

Alvis 3.1

QuoteI wish I had a better way of photographing dark colored models!!

Can't wait to see the 747s!
As for the dark subject...try darker backgrounds. Most cameras..even them new fangly dig-it-all thingies can only deal with so much of a range in latitude, and if you narrow it by putting the subject on a grey or mid blue (the one I use so sharacteristically) background, it often helps the exposure. Also...more light. You can never have enough light..well..when the paint starts smoking and the plastic starts sagging..maybe! :o
Light from 2 or 3 sources also helps too..it can be tweaked to kill bad shadows that hide the undersides of dark planes. I use a couple cheap clip-on lamps I got at a hardware store and 2 60 or 100 watt bulbs.

HTH
Alvis 3.1

anthonyp

I.... I'm speechless...  Yes, I know it's first...  SHUTUP!!!

Excellant job, Bobby!  Oh, better ask this to make your welcome official:  You canadien?

:cheers:  :cheers:  
I exist to pi$$ others off!!!
My categorized models directory on my site.
My site (currently with no model links).
"Build what YOU like, the way YOU want to." - a wise man

Brian da Basher

Bobby your builds are absolutely first rate! Those F-4s are really sweet. I find I'm always looking forward to pics of your work!

Brian da Basher

cthulhu77

Sweeeeeeeet !  Nice birds, there.

For photographing dark models, use a front light source...even a clamp lamp will give you enough incidental light to show off that bad boy !

greg

K5054NZ

Gotta love an Israeli Phantom! Even Lee should agree with that...... ^_^  

Gary

Very Cool indeed.
Also re photographing dark models, try natural lighting as well. Outside on a cloudy day I find the bestest, or barring that try a large sheet of drafting film/tracing paper used as a scrim to soften the light striking the model. (a scrim is a frame that holds the tracing paper/film over the subject being photographed and shades it from the extreme effect of direct light. You may need a friend to hold it in place, but the finished product is worth it.) The dark bgnd will help a ton too.
Getting back into modeling

BobbyK

Thanks for the tip on photgraphing dark colored objects.  Photography really ain't my thing, but all of your combined suggestions will definatly be heeded.

For those that inquired, I am from the USA, and I think or am so inclined to think, that this board is based in the UK (or somewhere on the other side of the Atlantic)?

I'll post a few more this weekend, that thing called "work" will be gettin in the way for the next few days (hey....gotta earn the dough for the models don't we??)!!

Martin H

QuoteEven Lee should agree with that...... ^_^
I wouldnt count on it if I were you.
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

Geoff_B

QuoteThanks for the tip on photgraphing dark colored objects.  Photography really ain't my thing, but all of your combined suggestions will definatly be heeded.

For those that inquired, I am from the USA, and I think or am so inclined to think, that this board is based in the UK (or somewhere on the other side of the Atlantic)?

I'll post a few more this weekend, that thing called "work" will be gettin in the way for the next few days (hey....gotta earn the dough for the models don't we??)!!
Actually the Board is based in the the USA and run by Supertom, however used as the unofficial homepage for the IPMS(UK) What-If Special Interest Group plus strong influx from Canada, Europe, and the commonwealth.

Nice Phantoms we did exactly the same for the F-4HL conversion over here last year as well  :D .

Geoff B

Eddie M.

You have some phantastically phabulous Phantoms! B) Excellent work. :)
   Eddie
Look behind you!

SebastianP

QuoteThanks for the tip on photgraphing dark colored objects.  Photography really ain't my thing, but all of your combined suggestions will definatly be heeded.

If you want the details to really stand out, use the most powerful light source available - Sol itself.... Get the model out on a table in a park or something, and photograph it there...

SP

John Howling Mouse

QuoteThe under fuselage conformal pack is scratchbuilt from sheet styrene.
Sorry I'm coming in to this so late.
Fantastic model!   :wub:

Can you please explain how you produced the conformal bit on the belly?
Seems like some compound curves in there but you say you managed to pull that off with sheet styrene.

Helllllllllllllp!!   :o

Thank you.

Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.