Turbeaucounterfighter

Started by SimonR, February 04, 2006, 07:43:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SimonR

Here's a sneak preview, it'll be at least a few weeks before it's finished as I'm going on the road next week. That'll give Zac time to finish his and write the back story!

It's the Tamiya TF.IX with wings and engines from the Roden Mohawk. I never realised how huge a Beaufighter's wings are until I sawed them off. I'm not 100% happy with my execution of this  concept and now realise a turboprop Hs-129 would have looked much better.

Going to go with a variation of the 45 Squadron markings and camouflage from the Xtradecals TSR.2 Sheet 1. I've waited so long for the TSR.2 now I've lost interest in it and don't think I will bother to build any of mine for a while.
Simon

This is the curse of speed;  I have been a slave to it all my life. On my gravestone they will carve 'It never got fast enough for me'.
Hunter S. Thompson

Eddie M.

I like it. It looks cool! B) Not something you see everyday. :)  
   Eddie
Look behind you!

Brian da Basher

I think that's coming along marvelously Simon! You handled the wing problem well. This is gonna be a looker!

Brian da Basher

P.S. A turboprop HS-129? Wow what a great idea!

John Howling Mouse

Love it. Very believable and yet very novel.
So, before Zac writes up a backstory, can you at least provide some basic hints re: its purpose, etc.?

This is going to be great-----I can just feel it!
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

SimonR

QuoteLove it. Very believable and yet very novel.
So, before Zac writes up a backstory, can you at least provide some basic hints re: its purpose, etc.?

This is going to be great-----I can just feel it!
The idea of a Turboprop Counter Insurgency Beaufighter was hatched here:

http://www.whatifmodelers.com/forum//index...wtopic=8200&hl=

I suppose mine could be what if Britain maintained an East of Suez military presence and needed a COIN type to supress local unpleasantness in the Aden region...
Simon

This is the curse of speed;  I have been a slave to it all my life. On my gravestone they will carve 'It never got fast enough for me'.
Hunter S. Thompson

SimonR

I know! But 1/48 Turboprop engine options are few and far between. Buying Roden Mohawks is getting expensive.
Simon

Hunter S. Thompson

cthulhu77

LOL...that is going to be a wicked plane !

wolfik

ha! its the idea for my idea  :ph34r:
tam dam dam dam dam dam dam dam dam dam dam dam dam dam dam dam ...tidiudu tidiudu... (mission impossible song... :blink: )
Simon nice to see you have time make model :cheers: s again

elmayerle

I know! But 1/48 Turboprop engine options are few and far between. Buying Roden Mohawks is getting expensive.
For the size and power of the HS.129s engines, re-engining it with turboprops would be quite a simple job to do with a pair of TPE331s/T76s.  Perhaps taken off the Hawk/Testors OV-10 (for all I know, someone else may have used the molds, too).
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

Ollie

That's one wicked Beau you have there Simon!

:wub:  :wub:  

K5054NZ

Finish mine....yes.....because, being employed full time, I have time spare to do that....

AAAAAAAARGH!!!!!!!!!

BUT, fantastically brilliant model Si! If you like, I can do a backstory, no sweat! But mine is going to wait while I do my ARC group build RNZAF MD Defender, Matchbox Strikemaster, parasol spatted Corsair and Nord 1002. Not to mention Airfix GB Chippie and TSR.2. And the Brilliant Buzzard and Lawndart.

lancer

That Beau is looking seriously good Simon.  
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die