Main Menu

What to do,

Started by Glenn, February 05, 2006, 12:14:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cthulhu77

Veeerrrry Interesting !   Looking cool, a great scratchbuild.

nev

Glenn, amazing the way you just knock together an a piece of scratchbuilding like this in a week or so!  :wacko:  
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Glenn

Another view of the wing shape, and as for Brian's question, no, I've found four nice props!
Glenn

K5054NZ

FSW? Now THAT would be cool!

I;m very intrigued - you've inspired me to scratchbuild my Jodel homebuilt! Well, I still need materials, but you know, thanks.

Fantastic work, and I demand updates!

Brian da Basher

Quote<snip>

I;m very intrigued - you've inspired me to scratchbuild my Jodel homebuilt! Well, I still need materials, but you know, thanks.

<snip>
You'd be surprised what you can use as model-building material Zac. I used plastic lids  from old margarine tubs on my H-16 flying boat and I often use plastic from discarded blisterpack material. Now that you're working in the electronics store, I'm sure they have a lot of that kind of stuff around that could be yours for the taking!

Brian da Basher

elmayerle

I'm curious as to the period of this one, Glenn.  There's a part of me suggesting WW I, one of the trainer flying boats, but that's strictly speculation.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

Brian da Basher

My latest guess is a Dornier Do024, but that only has three engines...UNCLE!

Brian da Basher

K5054NZ

Bri, I hope you don't mind if I ask you for advice from time to time. I;d really love to get into scratchbuilding, it could save me a lot of money in the future.

Taking? We have strict bag checks at the end of each work day! :P  

Glenn

OK, this shows 'the engines', all four of them. The basis of the engines/narcells is balsa, with the prop mountings in E/green tubing.
Once this was sanded, it was bogged and sanded back, a number of times until it looked good.
You may have noticed that the 'pushers' are slightly higher than the 'pulls'. This was purely 'arse'! Although, the idea isn't too bad, well out the road of the wash on landing.
Another clue : Pre-WW2

Glenn

K5054NZ

As Lana  :wub:  :wub:  would say, "Coolies!"

Glenn

There, engines done and next, the wing and struts. It's original title was, R1/33, but as I said, never built.
Zac, once you start 'scratchbuilding' you'll be hooked! Everything you ever wanted will just be a thought away. Yea, we build 'kits' but there's no love in 'kits', someone's thought it out for you. When you scratch, it's all up to you!
Glenn

cthulhu77

Coming along nicely !  

Glenn

OK guys, the wing and interplane struts are on! I thought the R1/33 would have clicked by now? At least now, you know it's English, and was designed in 1933.
OK, the next shot will be an upper view.
Good news, at this moment, the tails, props and canopy are all in place, undercoated and ready for some country to buy it for their air force!
Glenn

lancer

Damm Glenn, That is looking beautiful.  
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

Brian da Basher

What lancer said...looking really cool Glenn! Can't wait to see more pics!

Brian da Basher