Main Menu
G

Mirage IVAZ

Started by Geoff_B, February 06, 2006, 02:03:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geoff_B

Yeap South Africa did want these as replacements for their Canberras in the bomber/strike role. The Wilson Governemnet in the UK had just stopped any further orders of the Buccaneer Mk50 and wouldn't even replace the one lost on Delivery. Therefore the SAAF had to look elsewhere and found it in the supplier of their latest fighter in Dassault of France and the Mirage III bigger little brother.

Estimeated service entry would have been the early 1970's if the order went ahead in 1966-67 and would have been the back bone of the South African Nuclear bomb program till the next generation missile based systems were developed. The Mirage IV AZ also served as longe range strike aircraft and capably supported the Border Wars with Angola.

Last one is the Atlas Impala MK 4 improved design based upon the Aeromacchi MB-339K.

PolluxDeltaSeven

Amazing!!

I think I never saw a Mirage IV what-if, but this one is fabulous!! I hope I could see some other stuff as wonderfull in the future!! :wub:

The only question is: why France never use Mirage IV for such a powerful air-to-ground bomber!!!
"laissez mes armées être les rochers et les arbres et les oiseaux dans le ciel"
-Charlemagne-

Coming Soon in Alternate History:
-Battlefleet Galactica
-Republic of Libertalia: a modern Pirate Story

Roger the Cabin Boy

Well, consider it booked for the SAAF SIG Mirage/Cheetah theme for 2007!!!  Please!! Hidden amongst all the real world ones, wonder how many will fall for it there.   I can already hear them...  "those colours / squadron are wrong...  My Dad flew missions in them".

If you've got a real steady hand, make it a IV AZ

Nice work, super wavy camo.

I'm now wondering how much basis it would have in fact.  Seems highly plausible to me.

:ar:

The future's so bright, I gotta wear NVGs...

Roger the Cabin Boy

Oh, I just scrolled down to the 339 -  Impala III...?  Clear the decks at Huddersfield!

:ar:  
The future's so bright, I gotta wear NVGs...

Ollie

Wicked job Thorvic!

:wub:  

Geoff_B

QuoteI'm now wondering how much basis it would have in fact. Seems highly plausible to me.

Reference made in Air Pictorial March 1965..

Brian da Basher

Awesome work there Thorvic! I love the camo and those nifty SAAF markings!

Brian da Basher

Tophe

QuoteReading Thorvic's new topic title, I was shivering and smiling :) : a Mirage IV Zwilling? Of course AZ was meaning South-Africa there like for the JMNs' :angry:  Mirage F-1AZ (Easy to remember: A for South, Z for Africa... No, I imagine more simply: in French, South Africa is Afrique du Sud, AS, and in English you cannot say an expensive plane is flying like an AS-hole... :(  so AS was turned AZ! :D  Yes? What if...). Well, as far as I am concerned, I have turned Afrique du Zud into African Zwilling...: :wacko:
See the Photopainted picture at http://www.whatifmodelers.com/forum//index...=0&#entry117398 . Thanks Thorvic for enriching the Mirage-Zwilling collection!
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Sentinel Chicken

Impressive, Geoff. I see you were thinking along the same lines as I was on the extra weapons pylons on the IVK- tandem pylons to give each wing four hardpoints. If I'm not mistaken, I seem to recall that the number of South African nukes corresponded to the number of Buccaneers they had in use at the time. Has there ever been any pictures published on what the nuclear store looked like?  

K5054NZ

Nice nice NIIIIIICE!!!

Damian2

I'm lovin' it Geoff!! :D

Who knew our little airforce could provide such great whiffing potential?

-Damian

ps. I'm not aware of any pictures available publically of the old SA nukes, save for certain descriptions labelling them as curde devices. Although this is something I highly doubt as South Africa and Israel were sharing ALOT of technical data at the time (see tactics, Cheetah's, R4/5 assault rifles and mods for the Centurion tanks) so its not unlikley that we shared bomb specifics too. Not to mention the whole Mirage F-1CZ v UFO hoax to cover the delivery of a US nuclear device...
Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try.

Geoff_B

QuoteImpressive, Geoff. I see you were thinking along the same lines as I was on the extra weapons pylons on the IVK- tandem pylons to give each wing four hardpoints. If I'm not mistaken, I seem to recall that the number of South African nukes corresponded to the number of Buccaneers they had in use at the time. Has there ever been any pictures published on what the nuclear store looked like?
This shows the fromt end !!!

NARSES2

QuoteI'm not aware of any pictures available publically of the old SA nukes, save for certain descriptions labelling them as curde devices.
What was the code name Damian ? Miss Muffet ?  :P Sorry I'll get my coat !

Great couple of models Geoff

Chris
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Alvis 3.1

QuoteI'm lovin' it Geoff!! :D

Who knew our little airforce could provide such great whiffing potential?

-Damian

Not to mention the whole Mirage F-1CZ v UFO hoax to cover the delivery of a US nuclear device...
Umm..seriously?

Alvis 3.1

Patrick H

nah they where called "kernkoppies". :lol:

ok, I'll get my coat also but before I go, awesome work Thorvic

:cheers:

Patrick
My webpage

The engines spit out fire, I'm pushed back in my chair
The pressure gives me thrills as we climb in the air