Wooden MIG 17 piccies from Allan

Started by Allan, February 15, 2006, 08:50:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Allan

Hi blokes,

Here she is, the little-known 1968 wooden MIG 17 as flown by the NV Air Force.

Undercarriage and decals not on yet. I just might need some weight in the cockpit, but that won't be a drama as I have a lot of shotgun pellets that I can attach with white glue and then paint some dark color.

In the shots, you can see my home-made rake brush, which I made by hacking at an old brush with my modelling knife and a pair of toenail clippers.

There is a blemish under the fuselage, but I'll hide that with a round black decal or two to represent a camera apertures.

You might be wondering how I did the wood finish.

First Humbrol 103, a matt sail-like color all over the plane to hide the silver plastic.
Then Humbrol red, yellow, tan and white mixed together to produce a sort of yellow ochre.
Then a very thin coat of yellow, followed by a thin coat of tan and another thin coat of burnt sienna acrylic, all brushed on unevenly with my rake brush.
Then a coat of rubbing alcohol. It may have been my imagination, but it helped sort of mix the colors together.
Lastly, I applied about 5 coats of yellow mixed with the OZ version of Future to produce the varnished effect. Tailplanes were done the same way, but a little darker.

And here're the shots

Well, whaddya think?

Next, I'll put a wash and some silver in the wheel wells and add the undercarriage and decals.

Wheelwell doors wiill be wood too, as will the canopy framework.

Allan in Canberra

Tophe

whaddI think is: WON-DER-FUL!!! :wub:  :wub:  :wub:
Congratulations for having invented this so complicated process, giving a so great result...
Clapping hands... ^_^  :P  :D  
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

BlackOps

Allan, I sure hope you have termite insurance ;)

Pretty neat finish :)

Jeff G.
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

Brian da Basher

Allan that's one of the most beautiful wood paintjobs I've ever seen! It's every bit as good as stuff I've seen on W.W. I Albatross models done by masters of the craft! I love the idea and how you're putting it together! You're in the process of making a real show-stopper there sir!

Brian da Basher

Leigh

I heard about this plane somewhere, wooden fuselage, wooden wings, wooden tail, wooden framing, wooden wheels it just had one problem though didn't it?

It wooden fly :lol:

Allan thats a really neat looking plane, what an insane idea.

I invite all and any criticism, except about Eric The Dog, it's not his fault he's stupid

Leigh's Models

elmayerle

Gorgeous paint job there, Allan.  Question, will any airframes for which engines are unavailable be used as decoys?  To, of course, get bombed with wooden bombs?
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

The Rat

Okay, I typed 'wooden' into Babelfish to find the Russian equivalent and got:

деревянно

That'll teach me to try to beat you guys at puns.

Anyone translate?  :huh:

(First one to say 'wooden' gets the death stare  <_< )

By the way, beautiful job Allan!
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

K5054NZ

Fanbloodtastic my trans-Tasman brother! I love it! I only wish I had the time and patience to do that with one of my a/c.

Great stuff, can't wait for markings! :wub:  :wub:  

gooberliberation

you arent going to do a wooden canopy too, are you? Well, I suppose with thin enough paper and enough clear lacquer..... :lol:  
================================
"How about this for a headline for tomorrows paper? French fries." ~~ James French, d. 1966 Executed in electric chair in Oklahoma.

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

nev

деревянно
Isn't that Russian for "wooden"?  :unsure:  
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Tophe

Quoteдеревянно
(Pronounce: Dyerrryevyanno)
But this is just a word, sounds, I prefer the nice look of Allan's model, further to any words, any special language: this is international beauty... ^_^
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Allan

Many thanks, fellows.

it really surprised me how nicely it scrubbed up and in particular how quick the process was to replicate the wood finish.

I did it all Sat morning in about two hours. The Future coats took a little while longer after that, though.

What's next?  Maybe just maybe a wooden FW 190 with lozenge or wings in green and mauve with Voss's markings.

Wouldn't that be great?

More shots once it's finished

Allan in Canberra

Allan

How can I get Voss's Albatross markings in 1/72?

Allan in Canberra

NARSES2

Al

FCM did a couple of Albatros sheets in 1/72. Dont know if Voss's markings are on them. I've got the sheets so I'll have a look when I get home

Chris
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.