Wooden MIG 17 piccies from Allan

Started by Allan, February 15, 2006, 08:50:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Allan

Hi fellows,

I've added the undercariage and NV decals, although the fuselage red number doesn't really show up nicely--should have chosed a black number.

Next is canopy and fuselage antenna.

Hopefully completed piccies next week.

Allan in Canberra

Brian da Basher

Glad to hear you're making nice progress Allan! I'm really looking forward to next week's pics!

Brian da Basher

Sisko

Hello Allan,

That looks amazing what clours did you use to give the effect?

Get this Cheese to sick bay!

Allan

Check my first post in this thread, Sisko, and all will be revealed.

It's a tail sitter, damn it to hell, and shotgun pellets in the cockpit just aren't enough....

so at lunchtime today I'll take the model to a fishing tackle shop and try to get a fishing weight about half a centimeter wide and two long.

I'll bet it's the first ime a model mig 17 has entered a fishing tackle shop.

Allan in Canberra

Sisko

I guess it pays to read the post fully and not just skim read
Get this Cheese to sick bay!

Captain Canada

Wouldn't that be great?

Don't you mean " wooden that be nice "

Nice looking bird, Allan ! Now show us the finished pics already !

Zubnaya Shotka !
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Brian da Basher

Quote<snip>

It's a tail sitter, damn it to hell, and shotgun pellets in the cockpit just aren't enough....

<snip>
If that doesn't work Allan, you could always glue a piece of clear sprue to the bottom of the fuse to MAKE it sit right!

Brian da Basher

P.S. Just how many fish can you catch with a MiG? I'd be tempted to tell the sales clerk that MiG is a new kind of lure...

Allan

Hi fellows,

For the measly investment of A$1.50 at lunchtime today in Australia's national capital I bought 7 size 2 bug sinkers.

Just two of the little fellows make it sit nicely on three wheels, so what I'll do is use the garage hammer to batter one into submission on the driveway tomorrow morning, Saturday, feed it into the cockpit and try to wedge/glue it into position as far forward as I can.

Then use shotgun pellets to make up the difference.

The rest of the sinkers might come in handy when I make my twin engine Uhu or my P-1101 in Don Gentile's markings and invasion stripes.

Allan in Canberra

Allan

Or my 1/72 Dornier 335 as a  (fill in the blanks)

Allan in Canberra

K5054NZ

That P1101 sounds good! And the Dornier is intriguing.

Allan

Hi fellows,

I bashed a sinker with a hammer in the garage on Saturday morning after wrapping it in a terrible old shirt I found lying around.

The sinker was pointed a little at each end, but I flattened one end so I could get as much of it forward in the cockpit as I could. Worked well, but...

I needed an additional two small pellets to make it sit nicely on its three wheels and not be a tailsitter. Looks good now.

Then the fuselage mast went on followed by the canopy, which I attached with a little Revell gloss varnish. It's pretty sticky so can be used as cement for clear parts. The plane has to be touched up here and there, but I'll get around to that later. It's just about 99% finished as it is.

One lesson I learned about painting plastic to look like wood is to paint everything at the same time. It's really hard to capture the same look on another part later, like on an antenna mast that you've overlooked.

Good news on the Voss front. A Hyperscale modeller Richard from the US, kindly has sent me two sheets 1/72 of Voss's markings. They look real nice and will make an interesting 109/190. I'll try to get them enlarged to 1/32 scale here if I can.

Allan in Canberra

Brian da Basher

Nice to hear an update Allan! I'm glad it's all coming together for you on these projects. Of course, we're all really looking forward to some pics on Thursday. I find your work very inspiring sir. The concept of a wooden MiG is incredibly imaginative and building a 109/190 in Voss' markings is one for the books!

Brian da Basher

Allan

Thanks Brian, you're a great modeller too.

The model is in the living room now in the model cabinet.

Hope to get some pics soon.

Allan in Canberra

retro_seventies

just wanted to chip in and tell you how much i like that wooden finish allan. inspired - crazy and inspired...maybe there's a little radish in all of us  :D

and not in a brokeback way either.  :P  
"Computer games don't affect kids. I mean, if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." Kristin Wilson, Nintendo Inc, 1989.