Some upcomming projects...

Started by Damian2, February 16, 2006, 11:45:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Damian2

Yo! Yo! Yo!

Here are some up-and-comming ideas for future projects:

First up is a JASDF in-line Skyraider:

The next project is based off a 1/48 Hasegawa N1K2 (yes so far all I've done is a mock up to see how it would look if I reversed the canopy but I think it looks cool). I was thinking of having this plane as part of an Australian AF contingent in Korea. I'm definintley going to need help comming up with an Australian manufacturer as well as a designation and name :)

For a load out I was thinking of old Mustang tanks filled with napalm and rockets on zero lenght launch rails....

With wings....

Any thought or suggestions are most welcome!

Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try.

Brian da Basher

Damian those are some great ideas! I'm particularly fond of the inline Skyraider. I often like to make radial engined birds inlines and vice-versa. My next project will be a radial engined He-112, but I digress. I also like what you're doing with that NiK2 but I think it might look even better if you made a small "razorback" out of putty to the new back-end of that canopy. That would compliment the nice streamlining of the new front end. Just a thought and I can't wait to see how these projects turn out! Please keep us posted.

Brian da Basher

Damian2

QuoteDamian those are some great ideas! I'm particularly fond of the inline Skyraider. I often like to make radial engined birds inlines and vice-versa. My next project will be a radial engined He-112, but I digress. I also like what you're doing with that NiK2 but I think it might look even better if you made a small "razorback" out of putty to the new back-end of that canopy. That would compliment the nice streamlining of the new front end. Just a thought and I can't wait to see how these projects turn out! Please keep us posted.

Brian da Basher
what sort of putty would one use to make a razorback? Alternativley I was thinking of casting around for an idea as to a bubble canopy...
Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try.

Hatchet

Wow, that 32nd Mustang nose fits rather nicely! Looking good mate

:cheers:

Brian da Basher

what sort of putty would one use to make a razorback? Alternativley I was thinking of casting around for an idea as to a bubble canopy...
I just use good ol' Squadron White, but others have suggested 3M Blue or Bondo Spot Glazing putty. It doesn't look like you need a very big razorback to compliment the front sweep of the canopy. I'd just put a small bit on the flat part of the rear windscreen and sculpt it until I got a shape I was happy with. Alternatively, you could try swapping canopies with the Skyraider or even seeing what Squadron.com has to offer in the way of clear vac replacements (P-47, Typhoon or maybe even a Tojo). Sometimes you can get them for as little as 99 cents apiece.

Brian da Basher

K5054NZ

Nice idea with the Spad, but go turboprop!

Re your Aussie N1K2thingie, go with the Commonwealth Aircraft Corporation (CAC) - besides being licence-builders of Mustangs, Mirages et al they really were the sole aircraft manufacturer in Oz up until the 70s. They designed and built the only ever indigenous fighter, the Boomerang, so go CAC - it;s the logical choice for an Aussie-designed fighter.

The designations have a CA- prefix, such as CA-3 Wirraway (the standard trainer, similar to a T-6 Harvard), CA-13 Boomerang and  :wub:  :wub: CA-11 Woomera bomber. Perhaps CA-17 Bandicoot? I;m being serious with name BTW. I don;t think they ever used CA-17. 1, 3, 4, 12, 13 and 15 are all taken I believe.
Good luck with the build!

elmayerle

There are some other numbers used for designs that never made production, like the CA-23, twin-Avon-powered supersonic interceptor, or the CA-31 trainer.  I'd hazard a guess that CA-16 or -17 would be a quite appropriate number for this item.  You might want to scan in a three-view of an N1K2 and play with it a bit on the computer to get a feel for the razorback contours, then build up a solid form using bits of sprue, cut short, which could then be covered with putty.

Interestingly enough, the N1K2 doesn't look *that* far off the original radial-engined CA-15 design.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

K5054NZ

I believe CA-16 was one of the many Wirraway desigs - yup, just checked, and most of the surviving Wirrabangers are -16s.

K5054NZ

Hang on, radial CA-15? Do tell, Evan!

elmayerle

QuoteHang on, radial CA-15? Do tell, Evan!
Yep, it's in the Australian Aviation "3-Aircraft" book that covers the CA-15.  I think it's the "Wirraway, Boomerang,a nd CA-15 in Australian Service".  'Tis a damn good series of books to have for reference.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin