CH-165A Minke

Started by anthonyp, February 20, 2006, 04:23:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anthonyp

Here's a Revell 1/72 USCG Dauphin 2 kit done up as a Canadian SAR bird.  Pretty straightforward, took the decals from a CH-149 I still have yet to finish and fit them on this thing (looks like a few decals slipped after I applied them).

This was a quick little build.  Started it on Friday, finished about two hours ago.  This kit seems to be the same one that Matchbox put out a long time ago, just molded in red, still missing some of the more interesting HH-65 bits (like the rescue cable system).  I thought about putting the leftover CH-149's winch on this, but after mocking it up, I laughed pretty hard when I saw how large that assembly actually is (compared to the HH-65).

I took some pics of this thing sitting next to my MH-72B and HF-4J for the "team" look.  I like how this little thing turned out.  Now, I need more Canadian SAR decals  :D  
I exist to pi$$ others off!!!
My categorized models directory on my site.
My site (currently with no model links).
"Build what YOU like, the way YOU want to." - a wise man

anthonyp

Brian da Basher

That's a very well-done little "quick-build" Anthony! You are a human factory!

Brian da Basher

anthonyp

Here's a few with the other aircraft:

CH-165A and MH-72B

MH-72B and HF-4J

CH-165A, MH-72B, and HF-4J

Addtional pics can be found here:

CH-165A pics
CG Helos
CG Aircraft
USCG Aircraft

cthulhu77

Love those Coast Guard colours!!!  :cheers:

Ollie

Whoa, very nice!  I envy your Coast Guard lineup...

:wub:  

Captain Canada

Beauty stuff, as usual, Anthony ! Great idea, that....wish I would have thought of it ! I've always been envious of the sight and sound of your Dolphin CG birds....

Mind if I steal your idea ?

;)  
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

anthonyp

Thanks, all!  I am always of the opinion that we need more Coast Guard aircraft, armed or not.

Go for it, Todd!  I'm surprised you never did this before, to tell the truth.

I bought the HH-65 for its USCG decals, but then decided to build it.  I was saving the CH-149's decals for whenever I get another NH90, but I figure I can always buy another Canadian SAR helo  :D

K5054NZ

Very nice! I only wish we had a coastguard operation like the US's. I think that the Air Force's helos (UH-1s, soon to be replaced by NH90s) should be part of a government-run aerial SAR/martime patrol mission.

SebastianP

I've been seriously considering buying an Italeri AEGIS cruiser and doing it up as a USCG "Homeland Security Cruiser", just for fun. I figure I may be able to use the CG decals from my own Dolphin kit (only thing I used from that sheet was the tailboom stripe, which didn't fit where it was supposed to...)

I mean, what else are the pre-VLS Ticonderogas good for except drug interdiction? Can you imagine the poor sods trying to cross the Gulf of Mexico in a speedboat being "interdicted" using SM2MR missiles?  :ar:

SP

John Howling Mouse

You've done it again, AnthonyP!

He shoots, he SCORES!!!  (Well, it is a Canadian subject, after all).

:wub:
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

Joe C-P

QuoteI've been seriously considering buying an Italeri AEGIS cruiser and doing it up as a USCG "Homeland Security Cruiser", just for fun. I figure I may be able to use the CG decals from my own Dolphin kit (only thing I used from that sheet was the tailboom stripe, which didn't fit where it was supposed to...)

I mean, what else are the pre-VLS Ticonderogas good for except drug interdiction? Can you imagine the poor sods trying to cross the Gulf of Mexico in a speedboat being "interdicted" using SM2MR missiles?  :ar:

SP
May I suggest doing one of the first 5 Ticonderogas, the ones with the twin-armed launchers? They're being retired early from the USN, after all. White Ensign Models makes a number of helos in 1/700, so you could fill the helo deck with a couple USCG birds.

JoeP
In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.

Dork the kit slayer

If only my "long time" builds came at as well :(  :(  :(  ;)

Most colourful and a really nice idea. :ar:  
Im pink therefore Im Spam...and not allowed out without an adult    

http://plasticnostalgia.blogspot.co.uk/

SebastianP

QuoteMay I suggest doing one of the first 5 Ticonderogas, the ones with the twin-armed launchers? They're being retired early from the USN, after all. White Ensign Models makes a number of helos in 1/700, so you could fill the helo deck with a couple USCG birds.

JoeP
That's basically what I said above...  :lol: Basically, there's only one Tico kit out there, in three different boxes. Only one - the Dragon Models box - has the VLS launchers. Revell tried to replicate them with decals, and failed spectacularly, and Italeri didn't even try and only offer decals for the first five ships. They're good ones, though. If I remember correctly, CG-49, USS Valley Forge, has gray hull numbers, which is exactly what I need for the white hull of a USCG ship...

SP