Finished Finnish fishing lure

Started by The Rat, February 25, 2006, 03:33:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Rat

Okay, it's done. I can't see myself putting any more time and effort into something that will be disassembled, so after making some roundels on sticky-backed label paper and hand painting numbers with a fine-tip Sharpie I decided to take some pictures. There are more, and I may take more, but it's gotta be before pike season opens!  :P

It's officially called a Sudenkorento, which is Finnish for dragonfly. The back story is pending, my total lack of knowledge of Finnish aviation is a bit of an impediment there.  ^_^  The little orange thingy underneath is one of those whatchamacallits that some helos dangle into the water on a wire, the name escapes me at the moment. For those who haven't seen this thing before it's a Rapala fishing lure, carved balsa engine pod, rotor from an Airfix Westland Scout, tail rotor a propellor from the Heller 1/200th Breguet Atlantic, orange thingy from a mechanical pencil, other odds and ends.

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

K5054NZ

I loved it before, and I'm loving it again! Top marks for the roundels!

Captain Canada

QuoteThe little orange thingy underneath is one of those whatchamacallits that some helos dangle into the water on a wire, the name escapes me at the moment.
I believe it's called 'roe'

;)

Beauty job, Ratman ! Original, and very well executed. I want a fillet when all is said and done, eh ?

:P

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

John Howling Mouse

Whoa, now that's what I call scratchbuilding!

You are the "McGuyver" of scratchbuilding, Rat!!
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

The Rat

Thanks gents. As usual it looks a lot rougher without a digicam to hide the blemishes, but I'm pleased with the result. There are a few things that could have been done differently but it's cute enough for me!

QuoteI want a fillet when all is said and done, eh ?
Well, I already owe you a beer, so what beer goes with fish? Oh yeah, now I know...

ANY BEER!  :cheers:  
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Tophe

Are you talking about BEER (to drink) or BEAR (on the chin of your helicopter)? :D  
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Brian da Basher

Mr. Rat-San, that's absolutely incredible! Mr. Howling Mouse is right, you are the McGuyver of whif-world! As Zac said, kudos for the work on those roundels! Please let us know how many pike you catch with that helo!

What will the basis of your next project be? A key chain? A Ronco™ Popiel Pocket Fisherman? Zac's $700 cell phone? Stay tuned to find out!

Brian da Basher

nev

Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Brian da Basher

This wonderful helo gives me an idea for another GB. Take something that's not a model and use it as the basis for a project. A fishing lure, an old TV remote, a cell phone, a pen, anything and turn it into aircraft or AFV. Wings, tails, canopies, tracks, wheels and guns from kits would be allowed. Call it the MacGuyver GB. Any takers?

Brian da Basher

The Rat

QuoteWhat will the basis of your next project be?
Actually I'm afraid to look into my tackle box in case some other nutso project makes itself obvious.

I don't have pictures of any of the pike I've caught Brian, but since you weren't on the board the last time this was posted here is a muskie, a close relative. Yes, they do get bigger than this, and have very large and sharp teeth!

The Rat

QuoteThis wonderful helo gives me an idea for another GB. Take something that's not a model and use it as the basis for a project. A fishing lure, an old TV remote, a cell phone, a pen, anything and turn it into aircraft or AFV. Wings, tails, canopies, tracks, wheels and guns from kits would be allowed. Call it the MacGuyver GB. Any takers?

Brian da Basher
:wacko:

:blink:

:huh:

:)

:D

I think Alvis has at least one like that, but it's certainly a good idea!

(Scurries off to look under couch, empty glove compartment, raid toy box...)

Captain Canada

Quotehere is a muskie, a close relative.
Yes, I do see a resemblance !

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Brian da Basher

Holy cats, Mr. Rat-San, that's not a fish, it's a whale! Don't worry, I won't "rat" you out to Greenpeace.

Brian da Basher

The Rat

Quotehere is a muskie, a close relative.
Yes, I do see a resemblance !

Uh, that beer I owe you..., it was Coors Lite, wasn't it?  <_<

John Howling Mouse

QuoteThis wonderful helo gives me an idea for another GB. Take something that's not a model and use it as the basis for a project. A fishing lure, an old TV remote, a cell phone, a pen, anything and turn it into aircraft or AFV. Wings, tails, canopies, tracks, wheels and guns from kits would be allowed. Call it the MacGuyver GB. Any takers?

Brian da Basher
I'd be in on this.   :)
Naturally, I won't get the whatever-it-is done by the deadline, but I'll still try!   :unsure:

Now, where did I put that empty Javex bottle...?

;)  
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.