High-speed build

Started by rallymodeller, February 25, 2006, 04:57:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rallymodeller

SO today whilst cleaning I saw my Revell Learjet 35A. And I remembered that I had planned on doing it as a Coast Guard bird. But then another idea hits me: drug interdiction aircraft, sort of like what the USCG uses HU-25A Falcons for, but upgraded.

So I started at around 1 pm.

Here's where I am now:

More updates to follow! (And no, it'll have no interior. Spending so much time on the Jayhawk cabin that I am sick of 'em).

--Jeremy

Poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part...

More into Flight Sim reskinning these days, but still what-iffing... Leading Edge 3D

Captain Canada

COAST GUARD ! COAST GUARD !

We don't need no steenking anti-drug aeroplanes around here ! Well, unless they're selling confiscated contraband at discount prices !

:P

Man, I love jets with tip-tanks........
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

John Howling Mouse

So, if you go the avi-narc version, what would the paint scheme be?
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

rallymodeller

Same as normal coastie scheme, but in greys.

Doing the FLIR turret and wing pylons...
--Jeremy

More into Flight Sim reskinning these days, but still what-iffing... Leading Edge 3D

The Rat

...and tomorrow it starts an unending circle over Toad's place.  :lol:  
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

K5054NZ

If this is complete by the time I get back from work tomorrow I'll be very impressed! Good luck and godspeed!

Memo to admin - search for a "salute" smilie.

rallymodeller

Okay. 11:30pm. Here's where I am as of this point:

Canoe fairing added underneath with FLIR turret forward (Vigilante fairing cut down with 1/72 CF-100 rocket pod nose cap), pylons on wings (1/48 OEZ Frogfoot). Radome is the front 1/3 of a 1/48 Academy P-47 drop tank. All smoothed out thanks to the miracle of Aves Apoxie Sculpt.

Back to work... B)  
--Jeremy

Leigh

GO GO GO GO
Great minds think alike, right now I've got a bet going with Jonelle that I could build a kit in four hours, everything except decals and the canopy (future gotta cure overnight.)
Mind you mine ain't as ambitious as yours, its just a 1/144 Jaguar. Right now waiting for the primer to dry as I've learned that Tamiya acrylics don't brush on well to bare plastic, god i hate Tamiya acrylics.

I invite all and any criticism, except about Eric The Dog, it's not his fault he's stupid

Leigh's Models

elmayerle

Not to be a JMN, but those outboard pylons look a bit off on location. With some tweaks during construction, a Lear 35 wing should be capable of the same pylon locations, three under each wing, as carried by the Swiss P.16 it's derived from.  *smile* I know my "covert action" one will likely be done that way, along with a few other "tweaks".
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

rallymodeller

Being as how it's the Revell Germany reboxing of the old Hasegawa kit, I added the inboard pylons to where the pylon markings are (they're there -- two sets of oval markings). If they're in the wrong position, that's Hasegawa's fault, not mine. ;)  THe outboard pylons (to be Sidewinder rails) are at the break where the 35's extended wingtips are.  

Quick update (no photos this time): underwing stores finished, some bumps and blisters added, extended tailpipes in the works.
--Jeremy

rallymodeller

Off to bed. Stay tuned -- to be continued tomorrow!
--Jeremy

philp

Looking good.
If you are doing it in grey colorscheme, try doing the USCG markings in low viz.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

elmayerle

QuoteBeing as how it's the Revell Germany reboxing of the old Hasegawa kit, I added the inboard pylons to where the pylon markings are (they're there -- two sets of oval markings). If they're in the wrong position, that's Hasegawa's fault, not mine. ;)  THe outboard pylons (to be Sidewinder rails) are at the break where the 35's extended wingtips are.  

Quick update (no photos this time): underwing stores finished, some bumps and blisters added, extended tailpipes in the works.
Very nice.  It's really only the outboard ones that look wrong.  I think they should be at the same spacing from the middle pylons as the middle pylons from the inner pylons, based on some PD studies I saw while there.  On the other hand, the joint for the wing extensions on the Model 35/36 should be plenty strong enough for carrying Sidewinder racks.

Here's a couple pics of the Learjet's immediate ancestor with stores:

For appropriate lumps, bumps, et al.  take a look at the Lear 35s operated by Finland.  There are plenty of appropriate lumps and bumps to use on yours.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

Brian da Basher

Wow Jeremy that's fantastic! You've made some great progress and I really like the concept! Low-viz USCG will be very cool!

Brian da Basher

P.S. Hmmm a High Speed build...maybe a good idea for a GB?

nev

QuoteP.S. Hmmm a High Speed build...maybe a good idea for a GB?
We had a one week build last year.  Doesn't mean we can't have another one mind  ;)  
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May