G

P-51 / Polikarpov I-16 Hybrid

Started by General Jimp, March 01, 2006, 09:30:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

General Jimp

Ok , thought it would be appropiate for me to post this photo of my Mustakarpov so far.

Then at least I will be known as a poster and not a lurker !!

Take into consideration this is my first real attempt at building a kit   :rolleyes:

Note that wings are not glued at this moment .

Basically had to trim the P-51 wings to fit the I-16 fuselage.

Next big hurdle will be to fill the wee gap between the fuselage and the wings .

Then it's going to mod the lower fuselage - have to fill up the wheel bays of the I-16 as I'm going with gear affixed to wings by means of spats . (Thanks Brian for the idea  :D )

Fill seams between fuselage halves with putty . Going to mod the rudder and tail planes as well.

As for the engine - have some Hamilton Standard Cuffed props from a P-51 kit.

Will take an 1/48 F-16 exhaust nozzle , putty , sand and stick the props in front .

Think it will look like an engine  :lol:

Don't think I'm going to superdetail cockpit - when the plane is done one would not really see the cockpit  :P

Cheers Jimp

PS - Next time I'm going to do a easy Whif - like painting a F-14 in a weird camou pattern  or do a AFV mod  :D  

K5054NZ

What an entrance! For a first model that is a stroke of sheer genius General Gimp! Chief of Defence Staff for you!!!

:wub:  :wub: I can't wait to see how this puppy turns out! Hubba hubba!

The Rat

:huh:

:o

:blink:

:wacko:

Iiiiiiiiiiiiiiinteresting...

And welcome to the nuthouse!

Quote...a stroke of sheer genius General Gimp!

Gimp? Does he walk funny?  ^_^  
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Brian da Basher

General, that is one fine way to present your credentials sir! For a first build this is simply incredible! You have the audacity of George S. Patton about you. Excellent work, great whif-name and a smashing concept!

I saulte you!

Brian da Basher

Tophe

Welcome to you and your model. This is a courageous start, congratulations. Just remember that there is lot of leniency here, no condamnation of the first steps and slow improvements. Just try and post and everybody will be happy, us and you as well :)  
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Damian2

Damn!! That thing looks fast just sitting there!!!  
Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try.

gooberliberation

QuotePS - Next time I'm going to do a easy Whif - like painting a F-14 in a weird camou pattern  or do a AFV mod  :D
I know the feeling... one minute youre chopping and cutting, thinking about how cool or weird it's going to come out, next thing ya know....

"What the hell was I thinking" and then 6 years of putty-sand-repeat. :lol:

Nice looking mutant you got there though! With those huge honking wings, it almost looks like one of those tail-less airplanes. :wub:

What're you going to do with the leftover parts?

================================
"How about this for a headline for tomorrows paper? French fries." ~~ James French, d. 1966 Executed in electric chair in Oklahoma.

General Jimp

Wish I had more time to finish this project.

The rudder as manufactured from a P-51 rudder.

The tailplane configuration I'm going for - again a P-51 tailplanes

Still a student - need to be hitting the textbooks this week as I'm writing semester tests  :wacko:

So will not have that much time for building the Mustakarpov :angry:

Will aim for attaching the wings by this coming weekend  :P

Cheerio Jimp

PS - Have some leftover parts from a 1/48 P-51 and the I-16 . PM me if anyone is interested.

After I have finished this wee beastie I will for sure go for easier whifs  :lol:

John Howling Mouse

Welcome!  Do you mean this is literally your first model of any kind whatsoever or your first custom model what-if job?   :o

If this is in fact your very first model, you've got moxie, Mister!  ;)

Either way, it's a fresh idea and my hat's off to you, General J.

Looking forward to more progress shots and good luck with your exams!

:wub:

Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

K5054NZ

That's lookin fantastic my Jimp friend! Bravo!!!!

Tophe

Quotebuilding the Mustakarpov :angry:
PS - Have some leftover parts from a 1/48 P-51 and the I-16 . PM me if anyone is interested.
I love the Mustakarpov name (better than my Mustarpov in the "Virtual Mustangs" book).
Instead of throwing away the remaining parts, you may build a Polistang with Mustang fuselage and Polikarpov wings/tailplanes - but I know the rudder would be a problem now... :(
Congratulations anyway, young General :D
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]