Main Menu
K

Maguire M7

Started by K5054NZ, March 08, 2006, 11:20:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

K5054NZ

Maguire's Masterpiece
By Bob Wolfe, pictures by the author unless otherwise stated
(this article is reprinted courtesy Flightpath magazine)

Daniel J Maguire was born in Sydney, Australia on August 8 1923. From birth he was bombarded with all things aviation (his father was a barnstormer alongside Charles Kingsford Smith) and was always destined to be a pilot. His model aircraft (airworthy and otherwise) showed much promise, and he began to study towards an engineering degree. Unfortunately, he was injured in a motorcycle crash at the outbreak of war on September 3, 1939, and lost the use of his legs. Wartime saw him take a job as draughtsman at the Commonwealth Aircraft Corporation working under the legendary Lawrence Wackett. Following the war he was made redundant and settled in Queensland, purchasing a cattle station near Caboolture airport. He married long-time sweetheart Florence Turner in 1959, and together they had three sons.

Florence and Daniel Maguire pictured in 1983
In 1967 Maguire built his first full-size aircraft from parts of several airframes including a de Havilland Tiger Moth, Cessna 152 and CAC Wackett. This aircraft, registered VH-DMP, took to the air on June 8 1967, and became the first design of Maguire Aircraft.
Maguire followed up the M-1 (as the hybrid plane was designated) with several other designs, each only slightly better-selling than the last. Aiming at the agricultural market, his designs were exclusively used for topdressing ("cropdusting" to our American readers), and were only moderately successful.
It was in 1973 that his drawing board came alive with a design which showed promise. Designated M7, the aircraft was a gull-wing design, with fixed undercarriage (a feature common to all of Maguire's designs), utilised a Pratt and Whitney 14-cylinder radial for propulsion with a two-bladed prop, and a large fertiliser tank in the forward fuselage. Following the lead of American ag aircraft, the M7's hopper was in front of the pilot. The construction was all-metal with fabric-covered control surfaces. The cockpit was open, with a large windscreen, and a large comfortable cockpit. The horizontal tailplanes were canted slightly upwards and swept back, and the tailwheel was steerable.

The prototype of the M7 was first flown, by local ag pilot Lance Walker, on October 10 1973. VH-MJK flew surprisingly well, with a good power-to-weight ratio, and great visibility under the aircraft for load-dropping. The forward visibility, greatly hampered by the nose-high ground attitude and the gull wing, was assisted by underwing mirrors.

After minor alterations to the design, orders were received for two dozen M7s from both private farmers and ag operators across Australia, amongst them SuperSpread and Temora Air Services. Two were purchased by Ag Air Texas, one travelled across the Tasman to New Zealand and another three to South American operators. An order of four aircraft for Canada was unfortuately lost en-route, as the container ship carrying the aircraft was lost to a typhoon off the coast of Guam.
The aircraft was the most successful of all Maguire's designs, and once production was complete the company ceased aircraft design and production in favour of being a maintenance centre for the M7 fleet. One was retained as a demonstrator, but this was lost in a landing accident at the 1988 Bicentennial Air Show.

Today, it is believed only five of the original 26 aircraft produced remain of the M7 run. One is (believed to be) working in Bolivia, another was a long-term static resident at Wangaratta Air World before being sold off to a private owner in Toowoomba, Qld and two others are still at work across Australia (both in South Australia).

The last is the sole airworthy private example, VH-TAS, former flagship of Temora Air Services (hence the registration). After being completed in March 1975, c/n015 was delivered to Temora by company pilot Fred Turner (Mrs Maguire's brother). She was put to work immediately, working often far away from it's Temora base. In 1989 VH-TAS became the highest-houred ag plane in Australia, and was retired shortly after. She was disassembled and put into storage in Temora Air Service's hangar. The wings were propped up against the wall, and the engine removed for use in a restoration project. The sad, incomplete remains of the aircraft were discovered in 1997 by aircraft restorers Nick and Greg Challinor. As their business was in fabric-and-wood aircraft, the brothers sold the airframe to warbird collector Col Pay, whose engineers restored the aircraft to as good as new, flying again (with Col at the controls) on May 7, 2000. Upon completion TAS was repainted in Temora Air Service's livery of green and silver with gold registration. She was then sold and today flies out of her old Temora base, now owned by David Lowy (founder of the Temora Aviation Museum, well featured in these pages).

Recently Daniel and Florence Maguire travelled to Temora from their Caboolture home to visit VH-TAS, and watch a display by her and the other TAM aircraft. A surprise was in store as Daniel was taken aloft in the Museum's Wirraway to fly formation with TAS, a moving moment for all concerned, and a fitting tribute to one of Australia's unsung heroes of aircraft design.

FOOTNOTE: Two weeks after his visit to Temora, Daniel Maguire passed away in his sleep, his family by his side. He was 82. A biography of this inspirational individual is due out in June.

Brian da Basher

Daaaaaammmnnnn! Zac that's an awesome little build and a great backstory! GA and Ag aircraft are very under-represented, and it's refreshing to see one here. You've created a masterpiece!

Brian da Basher

K5054NZ

Not me, Bri, Daniel Maguire! Sheesh, didn't you read the title? :rolleyes:

Thanks matey - I'll be interested to see what everyone else thinks - unless they're not too keen on civvie a/c from downunder. Just because the Canadian M7s are lost at sea......

And I know the wings are crooked, I'll take my time from now on. Promise. And thanks to M. Lacombe for his sage advice - much appreciated. ^_^  

Ollie

Good show Zac, very nice back story and interesting model!

Although a R-1830 is a lot of engine for this dealie...

:P  

K5054NZ

I know, I know.....I'm thinking R985(?) from Harvard, Beaver etc. Much smaller, won't sound like complete overkill!

Ollie

Harvard as a R-1340...  Go with that or the R-985.

^_^  :cheers:  

K5054NZ

QuoteIs it me or does the woman in the photo look VERY like Les Dawson in drag?
:lol: Thanks for pointing that out - she does awfully, doesn't she.

For the benefit of our Canadian viewers:

The Rat

QuoteAnd I know the wings are crooked, I'll take my time from now on.
Cute one Zac, I'd love to take her up and chase some clouds! And I don't think it's the wings that are crooked, but rather the landing gear. What you might like to try is making quick jigs out of Lego when you need to keep things on an even keel.  ;)  
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

K5054NZ

Okay, the base kit is the Matchbox F4U4. The undercarriage struts are from Heller's big Super Frelon chopper (they're actually part of the rotors), the canopy's from the Academy P-40E, the seat from Italeri's Ju88/Me109 Mistel and the hopper covers from Italeri's Ju52.

Cool huh?

John Howling Mouse

QuoteOkay, the base kit is the Matchbox F4U4. The undercarriage struts are from Heller's big Super Frelon chopper (they're actually part of the rotors), the canopy's from the Academy P-40E, the seat from Italeri's Ju88/Me109 Mistel and the hopper covers from Italeri's Ju52.

Cool huh?
Wha?  What?  Huh?  Aw, c'mon, I need some in-progress pics to follow how you did this next time.  Please!
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

K5054NZ

I'm so sorry Baz, but for the entirety of this build my camera was at Lana's dad's place! Blame him, not me!

If I could've I would've. But I also wanted to surprise the hell out of you all by coming out of nowhere with this. I just hope it worked. I liked working on it a lot, and probably wouldn't be totally against doing another! THEN I can show you how it's done  ^_^ .