K

Zac's miscellaneous builds

Started by K5054NZ, March 08, 2006, 11:40:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

K5054NZ

First up: the beginnings of my Bumblebee Air Force Polikarpov I-16, Hasegawa's 1:72 kit:

My MiG-15, companion to Bryan H's MiG-17:

And the "other racer" I mentioned in the thread about Race 42, Howard Hughes' H-1 racer (no Baz, there's no Improbability Drive!):

First person to guess the original kit I bashed to get the H-1 gets a special prize from me! Just manufacturer of the plane, but extra marks for the model company!

Brian da Basher

That H-1 is a fantastic kitbash Zac! It looks like it may have come from a Fiat G-50, but that's as far as I can get. Excellent work! You're becoming a kit-bashing pro!

Brian da Basher

P.S. I really like that Republican MiG too! Nice work on the tail stripes.

Ollie

K5054NZ

QuoteThat H-1 is a fantastic kitbash Zac! It looks like it may have come from a Fiat G-50, but that's as far as I can get. Excellent work! You're becoming a kit-bashing pro!

Brian da Basher

P.S. I really like that Republican MiG too! Nice work on the tail stripes.
WE HAVE A WINNER!

How on Earth did you guess? Once I saw "The Aviator" I thought, I gotta get me one of those! So I took to my G.50 with a vengeance! (not Vultee, but y'know! ^_^ ) I still need decals, and I've got a prop waiting for install too.

Thanks about the MiG, too, you can't tell but the Spaniards painted over the Russian stars with a different shade of silver! I like that.

Updates on the Bumblebee polly as they happen.

Brian da Basher

I think it was something about the windscreen and the way the cowling joins the fuse. I'm excited about guessing right, although I realize it might take a while for my prize to get to me from Kiwiland.  ;)

It's now official. I am the uber-geek of odd-ball 1930s aircraft.  :dum:

Brian da Basher

P.S. Thanks for pointing out that thing about the stars on your MiG Zac. I took another look and noticed that fine bit of subtlety. Well played, sir!

K5054NZ

Not quite as subtle in real life, but it's the effect I was looking for. I'll try get better pics where it's more obvious.

The windscreen........... :lol: It's from Italeri's 1:72 Mk.IX Spitfire! BTW the fillet between wing trailing edge and fuselage is cardboard covered with my special filler. I know it's not the smoothest (witness the Zac Factor, as first observed by Ollie), but I'm not gonna buy the Czech Master kit! Anyone got spare decals from that? I need the rego!

Brian da Basher

Quote<snip>
I know it's not the smoothest (witness the Zac Factor, as first observed by Ollie)
<snip>
That looks like an effect I get on a lot of my builds, especially my earlier attempts at hand-forming spats out of putty. I'm ahead of the curve, because I've been achieving the Zac factor back when you were about 13.  :lol:

Excellent builds you've posted recently Zac! I get a lot of great ideas from them.

Brian da Basher

K5054NZ

QuoteExcellent builds you've posted recently Zac! I get a lot of great ideas from them.
Bri, you're too kind! Thanks a bunch for your words.

Brian da Basher

Well, Zac, because of your cropduster, I'm planning on getting myself an F-4U-1 and seeing what I can do with it. I don't know if what I end out with will be as innovative as what you did, but I've got to give it a whirl.

There's an idea for a GB: the "Mangle an F-4U and Tick Off Pappy Boyington GB".
:lol:
Brian da Basher